Some thoughts on PIAA auxillary lighting...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He says he's got all the credentials and much experience in the field. It would be best presented with some empirical data for comparison rather than his 'trained eye'.

I could not find a single google reference (except his article) to "Optronics Night Blaster QH-381K", or even "Optronics QH-381K". I searched on ""Optronics Night Blaster" and got only references to various hand held spot lights of some sort.

I think the guys on crack...

I could not find a single google reference (except his article) to "Optronics Night Blaster QH-381K", or even "Optronics QH-381K". I searched on ""Optronics Night Blaster" and got only references to various hand held spot lights of some sort.
I don't agree with you on this one Fred.

While the guy does sound bitter and I don't envy anybody a 5-year divorce, here's the Optronics page for driving lights and some of them do look a lot like PIAAs. I see a QH351, so maybe the 381 is boxed for Autozone or something.

Optronics Driving Lights

WC - With respect to your need to give hugs... :blink:

Bob

I don't agree with you on this one Fred.

While the guy does sound bitter and I don't envy anybody a 5-year divorce, here's the Optronics page for driving lights and some of them do look a lot like PIAAs. I see a QH351, so maybe the 381 is boxed for Autozone or something.

Optronics Driving Lights

WC - With respect to your need to give hugs... :blink:

Bob
Advanced Auto Parts

I have always been a fan of the Hella lights, I think they are a better quality at a similar price to the PIAA's.

Just my 2 cents

Try going to the store and looking for the part numbers. I know I have tried to find info for lights sold at walmart and couldn't find it on the optronics site or google but low and behold they are made for walmart... I'm sure it's the same for Advance Auto...

First of all, Will has been posting this type of review for a very long time. Do you have any idea about when this article war written? Because the one benefit that PIAA brings to the table is continuity. The Chinese clones he's referring to are often one-time production runs done on an OEM private label basis.

Second; I happen to agree with his view that PIAA is a brand that overcharges for Chinese gear that others often supply at much better prices.

More to the point is the belief that some people have that somehow a PIAA 60/55 bulb somehow puts out more light than anyone else's and they are willing to pay the price for it. That one always cracks me up.

PIAA is a company that charges more for their products than anyone else does because . . . . they can - not because it is worth it.

Hella makes excellent products for the most part, but they too have the occasional dud in their product line. They no longer manufacture in Germany. I recall reading that they build their gear in Hungary now to keep their costs down. Is that better? Not, I suppose if you are German and perhaps worked in their factory before they moved out of the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hella makes excellent products for the most part, but they too have the occasional dud in their product line. They no longer manufacture in Germany. I recall reading that they build their gear in Hungary now to keep their costs down. Is that better? Not, I suppose if you are German and perhaps worked in their factory before they moved out of the country.
I just bought a brand new set of Hella 550s to replace a pair that got damaged. They are marked 'made in Germany'. I suppose they may have been in some warehouse for a while, or maybe Hella still makes some things in Germany. I have been very happy with the Hellas.

That said, there really isn't much to these lights, just a case, bracket, and simple socket and wires. I can see how someone could make a less expensive imitation, or even somewhat similar version, that would be just as good for half the price. I can also see where someone could get it wrong and make a bracket and case that would not hold point of aim or use use real cheap electrical components that won't hold up, or perhaps a unit that allows the lens to fog up. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: