Something I learned about FJRs & weak batteries

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you Zorlac!
Mark it down....Thursday, October 30, 2009.....Zippy gets thanks instead of abuse!

Cash out your 401Ks, place your heads firmly between your knees, kiss your asses goodbye!
Thanks Howie!Having the FJR back on the road is good for your outlook I see! :thumbsup:
Zippy, I wholeheartedly agree RadioHowie's outlook has dramatically improved since his Frankenbike is back on the road.

But Zorlac, what the hell is up with our outlook these days! I mean, we now have to look at pics of RH. Our outlook SUCKS!

thank you Zorlac!
Mark it down....Thursday, October 30, 2009.....Zippy gets thanks instead of abuse!

Cash out your 401Ks, place your heads firmly between your knees, kiss your asses goodbye!
Thanks Howie!Having the FJR back on the road is good for your outlook I see! :thumbsup:
Zippy, I wholeheartedly agree RadioHowie's outlook has dramatically improved since his Frankenbike is back on the road.

But Zorlac, what the hell is up with our outlook these days! I mean, we now have to look at pics of RH. Our outlook SUCKS!
Yeah, sorta like going on vacation and looking out the hotel window expecting to see a scenic vista only to be confronted with the brick wall of the next building! :D I've gone so far as to update my profile pic so as to combat the onslaught of rather scary pictures of Florida's finest riders. :assassin:

Interesting discussion. I'm starting to see similar behavior. I'm on an '05, stock battery. I noticed it having a slow/hard start sometimes, and twice the trip meters and clock reset to zeros with no warning. Time for a battery, I think.

Well whatda ya know.. Seems Howie has solved my problem here.

I've noticed when I take me scoot to demo the 12 volt commercial Anus Shaver Units they've been less than satisfactory.. kinda lacking in the "low end " grunt.. Leaving a couple of poor bastards rather "stubly"an chafed....

I think me needs a new battery. ;)

:jester:

So, my 2004 FJR did the thing where the clock resets and it does not start. It is fine going to work (16miles), but has the problem when doing 2 - 4 hour rides. I checked the voltage in diag mode and it was 11.7. From previous posts, I figured I had the same weak battery problem. I bought the WestCo from BikeEffects and installed it in the bike. I rode it and charged it with the tender and it still shows the same 11.7 in diag mode. I stuck a meter on the SAE plug and it shows 12.4.

Why is there a difference between diag mode and the SAE plug?

What is up with that?

The old battery was fine?

Do I have a problem other than a weak battery?

I am going on a long ride in a few weeks and I will see what happens.

:huh:

...and it still shows the same 11.7 in diag mode. I stuck a meter on the SAE plug and it shows 12.4.

Possibilities (in no particular order):

• The diag reading's calibration is different from your meter's;
  • There is significant resistance somewhere in the wiring (including switches and connectors) to cause a voltage drop from battery to ECU (where I presume the diag reading is measured);
  • There's a loose connection somewhere;
Was the 12.4 measured at the same time the diag was showing 11.7? If not, that's a check you need to make.

So, my 2004 FJR did the thing where the clock resets and it does not start. It is fine going to work (16miles), but has the problem when doing 2 - 4 hour rides. I checked the voltage in diag mode and it was 11.7. From previous posts, I figured I had the same weak battery problem. I bought the WestCo from BikeEffects and installed it in the bike. I rode it and charged it with the tender and it still shows the same 11.7 in diag mode. I stuck a meter on the SAE plug and it shows 12.4.

What is up with that?

I think? the 'diag' screen voltage is accessed by switching the 'kill switch' to run -- which also runs the fuel pump and drops the voltage a little.

Are you getting the different voltage readings concurrently?

But, before you do anything else (and no matter which battery you're using) -- charge the battery to a minimum of 12.8V. Then, proceed with your diagnostic testing and problem solving.

IME, the FJR's multi-pin electrical wiring harness plugs are, often, the culprits causing strange electrical (especially starting) behavior -- all they, usually, need is un-plugging (visual inspection) and cleaning and re-connecting.

What is up with that?

I think? the 'diag' screen voltage is accessed by switching the 'kill switch' to run -- which also runs the fuel pump and drops the voltage a little.

But, before you do anything else (and no matter which battery you're using) -- charge the battery to a minimum of 12.8V. Then, proceed with your diagnostic testing and problem solving.

IME, the FJR's multi-pin electrical wiring harness plugs are, often, the culprits causing strange electrical (especially starting) behavior -- all they, usually, need is un-plugging (visual inspection) and cleaning and re-connecting.
Have you guys tried one of the Odyssey batteries in the FJR? Their #PC 680 is the same dimensions as the FJR battery and it has a 16 amp hour rating with 220 cca. I put one in my V-Max which came with a whimped out 12 AH battery like the FJR and the Odyssey acted like two of the others. The Odyssey when fully charged can be stored for up to 2 years without recharging which is why the military uses it. There are several different sizes and you can check them out on the web. The Odyssey is expensive but it's dynomite in a small package.

...and it still shows the same 11.7 in diag mode. I stuck a meter on the SAE plug and it shows 12.4.

Possibilities (in no particular order):

• The diag reading's calibration is different from your meter's;
  • There is significant resistance somewhere in the wiring (including switches and connectors) to cause a voltage drop from battery to ECU (where I presume the diag reading is measured);
  • There's a loose connection somewhere;
Was the 12.4 measured at the same time the diag was showing 11.7? If not, that's a check you need to make.
I did check both at the same time.

I did read here that the diag voltgage should be 12.4, so I assume that there is a wiring problem. I may have to re-seat some wiring connectors, but I would not know where to start or which ones would be best to try first.

I will try a long ride (2hours+) and see if the problem is still there.

Thanks for the suggestions

:unsure:

What is up with that?

Yes, I am getting the readings concurrently. I read on this forum that the diag voltage should be 12.4. I assume that is correct.

I had the battery on the charger and the charger indicated that the battery was fully charged.

Do you recommend any plugs in particular to try to re-seat? (be specific as I am not familiar with the wiring)

Thanks for your comments

:wacko:

Yes, I am getting the readings concurrently. I read on this forum that the diag voltage should be 12.4. I assume that is correct.
I would assume so, too.

For the most part, info on this Forum is correct and factual.

I had the battery on the charger and the charger indicated that the battery was fully charged.
I'd recco acquiring a digital voltmeter (they're readily available & in-expensive) and actually reading the voltage at your battery posts -- that will, acurately, determine the state-of-charge of your battery (and, eliminate another possible variable).

Do you recommend any plugs in particular to try to re-seat? (be specific as I am not familiar with the wiring)
I wish I could -- I just serviced the ones I could (and, in my case, it solved my electrical issues). The FJR, like many modern vehicles, has many small voltage signals being carried in its wiring harness -- and many opportunities for signal degradation.

There are others on this Forum who are well-versed in the intracacies of the FJR's wiring schematic (I am not one) and maybe they'll offer which specific plugs are problems? Or, try another search? Or, acquire a FSM w/schematic?

Thanks for your comments
You're welcome

Original battery in my '06 crapped out this week. Daily driver and always on a charger. First symptom was lack of fuel pump pressure up sometimes when turning the ignition on. Then a few random gauge sweep resets. Oh well, nearly 4 years old.

With the new battery, I took the bike down to Key West and not one problem with the battery.

I rode 450 miles round trip in 10 hours.

What a nice ride!

I guess that the battery was the problem.

Latest posts