Son just got a YZF-R6s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim'sonDFJR

Reaction score
My son just got a new YZF-R6s. He's already looking to replace the can with a performance slip-on. I must admit the stock can is rather big and very quiet (which is ok with me). Question: what are some good performance choices that are not "real" loud but still sound good. Thanks

Tim

My son just got a new YZF-R6s. He's already looking to replace the can with a performance slip-on. I must admit the stock can is rather big and very quiet (which is ok with me). Question: what are some good performance choices that are not "real" loud but still sound good. ThanksTim
Scorpion makes a nice sounding can. Put it on my GSX-R750. It has a removable baffle, which if left in, makes it not too loud but still a very nice "tone".

My son just got a new YZF-R6s. He's already looking to replace the can with a performance slip-on. I must admit the stock can is rather big and very quiet (which is ok with me). Question: what are some good performance choices that are not "real" loud but still sound good. ThanksTim
Scorpion makes a nice sounding can. Put it on my GSX-R750. It has a removable baffle, which if left in, makes it not too loud but still a very nice "tone".
i got a firend with a scorpion can on a TT600, what an obnoxious sounding thing that is!

Nice motorcycle - tell him he - "did good"...

Nice motorcycle - tell him he - "did good"...

Thanks to dear old dad's signature on the second dotted line.

R6 is a damn good moto. I had a 2004 R6s for a few years before I traded her in for the FJR. A real rocket! I loved that bike but doing 600mi(interstate) in a day sitting like a pretzel wasn't fun.

Most aftermarket slip ons are loud as hell. Is your boy getting it for sound or performance? A buddy of mine had a blueflame carbon fiber on his 2003 R6 and it was a screamer. I kept mine stock b/c i hate loud. Performancewise I couldn't tell the difference b/w his R6 and mine, and he had the whole package too - can, new pipes and some other stuff. I believe that you only get a hp advantage in the upper stratospheric rpm range anyways...

If he does any rides longer than a few hours a day he'll want to get a new seat before a new exhaust - trust me. I would also recommend Genmar risers.

i got a firend with a scorpion can on a TT600, what an obnoxious sounding thing that is!
Somehow I don't think the off-road "TT" type of can, is a legitimate comparison here. Apples-and-oranges, as the saying goes. I've heard a lot of different pipes on GSXR's, and the Scorpion is a nice one. It would be the same basic can for the R6, and not near as loud (baffle in) as most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I don't think the off-road "TT" type of can, is a legitimate comparison here. Apples-and-oranges, as the saying goes. I've heard a lot of different pipes on GSXR's, and the Scorpion is a nice one. It would be the same basic can for the R6, and not near as loud (baffle in) as most.
I'm talking about the Truimph TT600, ya know, 600 cc sport bike, much like a CBR 600 F4i or a YZF 600. Perfectly legimate comparison in my opinion.

Well he got the KR Tuned Carbon Fibre slip-on. Very nice, and not to loud (with the end cap pipe in). Looks great and 1/2 the size of the stock can. He got it on without any trouble. The finish of the lead in pipe could be better, it looks more like a racing pipe, but my son likes it, I prefer a more finished look like my Staintunes.

Took it out for ride the other day... I wish the FJR trany shifted so nice, and with 6 speeds.

Tim

Took it out for ride the other day... I wish the FJR trany shifted so nice, and with 6 speeds.
Tim

I found the R6 trany a bit notchy in the lower rpms, but easily "pops" into the higher gears once you get those revs past 7000rpm. No major complaints with the R6 or FJR trany(well, there is the 1st gear clunk) though.

6th gear on the feejr?

I am not sure why but most of the sport bikes I have been on shift much smoother than the FJR.

The shifting on my Suzuki TLR is buttery smooth.

Your son has a fine motorcycle, hopefully you both can get out for some rides together.