Son of a %$$@ Kickstand!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we have all been there (well at least I have). Since my drop I have been attending "Stupid Drop Anonymous" meetings (a twelve step program) and have been drop free for 10 months. :unsure:

May I suggest you file a bit off the stop so your kickstand will rotate slightly farther forward before it hits the stop. :huh: It couldn't hurt. :blink:

It's been done before by many others, starting in ....oh....2003. :rolleyes:

May I suggest you file a bit off the stop so your kickstand will rotate slightly farther forward before it hits the stop. :huh: It couldn't hurt. :blink: It's been done before by many others, starting in ....oh....2003. :rolleyes:
Yes, it even started an argument worthy of NEPRT status.

"It's a design flaw"

"No it's not, it's operator error"

You get the point. I believe it was another Fred (not me) that came up with the grinding scheme though I don't recall any pictures or detailed instructions.

[edit] here's the thread you want to read through (if you have a lotta spare time)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same thing happen twice before I got smart and took my Drmel tool to the stand stop. Only need to take off enoguh to change the angle about 5 degrees to make her stand over better. I didn't measyure the amount of material removed. Just marked where the stand stopped oringally and removed enough to make about 2" difference.

Have fun.

I had the same thing happen twice before I got smart and took my Drmel tool to the stand stop. Only need to take off enoguh to change the angle about 5 degrees to make her stand over better. I didn't measyure the amount of material removed. Just marked where the stand stopped oringally and removed enough to make about 2" difference.
Have fun.
This seems like a worthwhile mod. The 2" you speak of is 2" further forward at the end of the sidestand lever, I presume.

How much more to the left does the bike lean now? The reason I ask is I think this could also be handy for parking on less than perfectly level surfaces. My old R1100RS used to lean way over to the left.

One thing no one mentioned.

I always stop with the bike in gear. Hold the clutch in and brakes on. Put the side stand down to turn off the engine. Release the clutch and brake. Then push the bike forward to take up the slop before letting the bike on the side stand.

Why does noone ever take my advice about foliage?
Because if you leave it too long, this can happen:
23qz1bk.jpg

Have fun.
This seems like a worthwhile mod. The 2" you speak of is 2" further forward at the end of the sidestand lever, I presume.

How much more to the left does the bike lean now? The reason I ask is I think this could also be handy for parking on less than perfectly level surfaces. My old R1100RS used to lean way over to the left.

Yes, it's forward which is what you want. I would say the bike leans about 5 degrees further to the left. I may take off a little more when and if I can ever get the damn thing up on the center stand again.

DESIGN FLAW!DESIGN FLAW!

Alert the media!
RECALL! RECALL! Where's a good lawyer when you need one. We need a class-action suit against Yamaha. Nevermind that thousands of other riders have no problem or some have modified theirs because of their habits/skills/technique. :eek:

Hey, I'm just trying to save him the time it takes to read this from Fred W:

You get the point. I believe it was another Fred (not me) that came up with the grinding scheme though I don't recall any pictures or detailed instructions.[edit] here's the thread you want to read through (if you have a lotta spare time)
:yahoo:

I seem to remember the original owners who did this taking a fraction of an inch off the "stop". We're probably talking 1/16"-1/8" that would allow a measurable amount of travel at the end of the kickstand. IOW, start "small", one could always remove more material easier than having to weld to build up the pad because you cut too much.

I moved my bike in the garage one night and the stand brushed my foot as I moved it. thankfully it started down slow enough I realized it was not going to stop where it would have if the side stand was in place. Much effort and feeling stupid it got it up without it hitting the floor.

When I dismount now I always park it in gear and then roll the bike in gear until it has gone as far in the downhill direction as possible - only then do I put it on the side stand. I prefer to park it facing uphill so it will work with the side stand better. And I do put the side stand down and then verify it is forward with a second push with the foot.

QUOTE(tom b @ Nov 8 2007, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing no one mentioned.
I always stop with the bike in gear. Hold the clutch in and brakes on. Put the side stand down to turn off the engine. Release the clutch and brake. Then push the bike forward to take up the slop before letting the bike on the side stand.
(with apologies to Scab)

This is the FJR Forum! Your logic has NO place here!

Only $250 for a mirror and side panel? I thought it would be more than that.
Yeah, since this is your 2nd time around with this situation, next time consider throwing your leg under it, as it's going down. Bones eventually heal. Although getting out from underneath it might turn out to be a tad embarrassing. :unsure:

"Excuse me sir... yes, you. Uh, I'm stuck. Could I trouble you to lift my bike off me please." :rolleyes:

Hes probably getting discounts, frequent flyer ya know! Third time maybe they'll just comp him the parts out of compassion. :p

The owners manual says:

Sidestand

The sidestand is located on the left side

of the frame. Raise the sidestand or

lower it with your foot while holding the

motorcycle upright.

NOTE:

The built-in sidestand switch is part of

the ignition circuit cut-off system, which

cuts the ignition in certain situations.

(See further down for an explanation of

the ignition circuit cut-off system.)

_

WARNING

The motorcycle must not be ridden

with the sidestand down, or if the

sidestand cannot be properly

moved up (or does not stay up), otherwise

the sidestand could contact

the ground and distract the operator,

resulting in a possible loss of

control. Yamaha’s ignition circuit

cut-off system has been designed to

assist the operator in fulfilling the

responsibility of raising the sidestand

before starting off. Therefore,

check this system regularly as described

below and have a Yamaha

dealer repair it if it does not function

properly.

============

No place does it say that you have to put your bike in gear while backing out the play in the drive line. It simply says to lower it, and don't drive off with it down. A significant number of FJR owners have found that 1) the side stand does not always perform the way the owners manual says to use it --or-- 2) the owners manual does not correctly describe how to reliably use the side stand --or-- the sidestand doesn't always perform as well as the designer intended. Since the design doesn't appear to have changed during any model year, Yamaha must not think there is an issue.

If the owners manual specified, "You must always park your motorcycle in gear, roll it backwards until all slack is removed from the drive line, then lower the side stand, pushing it firmly and completely forward to ensure that it is fully against the stop.....", thus informing you that extra preparations were necessary, would you have had your 'little incident'? Do you think that the extra ritual steps shouldn't be necessary? If you have never had your FJR go over, or nearly go over it must be because you are a studly, awesomely competent and good looking rider, but you have to admit there is an unusually high number of people that have had unexpected drama with the side stand. How many people have owned more than one bike and have never had one go over until their FJR went down? Judging from the warning, has Yamaha erred in the direction of assuring complete retraction over complete deployment?

I've owned many different motorcycles over the course of ~40 years and my FJR is the first one that I have needed to perform a little ritual every time I get off to prevent my TOGs from returning value. I have seen a few other bikes that my friends have owned that didn't always stay upright when the side stand was deployed. Most of my friend’s tipsy bikes had observable short comings with the side stand, such as being visibly too upright or appearing not to go far enough forward.

There, the lit flare is in the gas can :lol: I tried but couldn't wait for Friday to post this ;)

But, but, all that assumes we READ the owners manual. As a guy, the owners manual is classified as "instructions." As instructions, we never read those untill after we break something.

But, but, all that assumes we READ the owners manual. As a guy, the owners manual is classified as "instructions." As instructions, we never read those untill after we break something.
In academics we call that process assessment. Makes it seem intelligent.

I've owned many different motorcycles over the course of ~40 years and my FJR is the first one that I have needed to perform a little ritual every time I get off to prevent my TOGs from returning value. I have seen a few other bikes that my friends have owned that didn't always stay upright when the side stand was deployed. Most of my friend’s tipsy bikes had observable short comings with the side stand, such as being visibly too upright or appearing not to go far enough forward.
There, the lit flare is in the gas can :lol: I tried but couldn't wait for Friday to post this ;)
Well....the post above is probably going to send this to:

Never-Ending Pointless Recurring Threads

Oil, tires, octane, and other items that endlessly get discussed and rarely resolved.

With every other sidestand thread that has ever been posted, discussed, argued and finally died without resolution.

"If the owners manual specified, "You must always park your motorcycle in gear, roll it backwards until all slack is removed from the drive line, then lower the side stand, pushing it firmly and completely forward to ensure that it is fully against the stop.."

BZZZZ--wrong. ONLY if bike is headed up hill. All other times (level or down hill), roll bike ahead and remove slack. No wonder you guys are dropping your bike`s ;)