Son of $(*!*&

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My best guess is that I scraped across one of the bricks on the corner of my house on my way home in a hurricane-like-freezing-cold-rain right before Christmas. I definitely did not feel it, as I did not even notice the scratch until several days later, but that's the only explanation I can come up with. Now I just need to fix it. Thoughts on how to go about that? Bondo? Fiberglass? Some other filler I don't know about? Is the 2006 blue hard to match, colorwise?

I have no problem with little scratches, but this is giant. I ride this thing more than 350mi a week, so it definitely gets used. Being used, does not mean it has to look like crap.

I did something like that in the same place (but worse) to my right side case when it was less than a year old -- against the stucco corner of the house between the 1 car and 2 car garage doors while trying to get out around my then GF's car. Pissed me off, but I left it that way for over 3 years until I had both side cases repainted this last summer. (I drop every motorcycle I own, but I choose to believe it's karmic insurance against get offs at speed.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem with little scratches, but this is giant. I ride this thing morethan ONLY 350mi a week, so it definitely DOESN'T get used MUCH. Being UN-used, does not meanS it has to look like crap a pirate bike.
Phixst it fer ya!! :p

I rode mine through a fence gate that was narrower than the bike! Ouch. Then a year later I dropped it 'cause it doesn't have the automagic kickstand deployment option that all really good bikes should have (recall?).

To my eye, my bike still looks awesome, scratches and all. It gives it... character!! ;)

I have no problem with little scratches, but this is giant. I ride this thing morethan ONLY 350mi a week, so it definitely DOESN'T get used MUCH. Being UN-used, does not meanS it has to look like crap a pirate bike.
Phixst it fer ya!! :p

I rode mine through a fence gate that was narrower than the bike! Ouch. Then a year later I dropped it 'cause it doesn't have the automagic kickstand deployment option that all really good bikes should have (recall?).

To my eye, my bike still looks awesome, scratches and all. It gives it... character!! ;)

LOL. Nice fixes. I will whack a different part of my bike with a sledgehammer at least once every 48 hours to make up for not riding it enough. Actually, I won't. I'm going to fix the scratch because it looks like shit. I have enough of my own scars and actual war stories for chicks to dig. My motorcycle doesn't need them.

It looks pretty straight, just turn it into a stripe right across the bag and then copy it on the other side.

Save up and get a couple more scratches. Once you're done, send to Garauld. That's what I'm going to do one day. A three foot tall flower pot my wife placed in my path out of the garage got mine. That and a drop in gravel on a hill previously. Alternative solution might be a reflective sticker or two. To be honest the scratches don't bother me any more.

Howdy neighbor,

I rode in that same windy cold you speak of; it was pretty narly.

If I didn't know any better, I think my rear wheel came off the ground and moved about 3 inches while in a deep turn on the 59/288 exchange elevated bridge...Had the trunk on so that made it worse to ride in.

I've seen a FJR specific stick on kit that may cover that for ya. It has dual large pin strips on the bags.....sorry can't remember what site I seen them on. Couple of guys have them on their bikes....maybe they had some deep scratches to cover as well.

Save up and get a couple more scratches.
That's exactly what I did before painting them and the top case. When I bought my bike, I also bought a top case, but didn't take it out of the box for over a year. Only then did I discover that the dealer had sold me a silver top case (that matched the '03 color, instead of my blue '05). By then, the dealer refused to do anything to help me with the incorrect color. :banghead:

So, after dropping the bike several times on both sides to evenly scratch the side cases, I finally had all the luggage repainted with galaxy blue. On the top case, I left the center top section silver, which matches the '05's trim color.

Only problem now is that I have to be real careful about not scratching all that new paint on the luggage. It is pretty again, though.

Edit for Fred showing silver and blue top case:

IMG_1006678x558.jpg

Photo credit: O.M.

Howdy neighbor, I rode in that same windy cold you speak of; it was pretty narly.

If I didn't know any better, I think my rear wheel came off the ground and moved about 3 inches while in a deep turn on the 59/288 exchange elevated bridge...Had the trunk on so that made it worse to ride in.

I've seen a FJR specific stick on kit that may cover that for ya. It has dual large pin strips on the bags.....sorry can't remember what site I seen them on. Couple of guys have them on their bikes....maybe they had some deep scratches to cover as well.
Yeah, I was on my way home from The Ginger Man (I had one Duvel, 3hrs before I rode home) for a friend's birthday. There was wind on the way there, and all the way up to the Fry Rd. @ I-10. No warning, just BUCKETS of rain, and the FJR definitely got blown clear across a lane when I crossed Mason Rd. Drove through a super deep puddle at Grand Parkway and I-10, and was pretty sure I was going to get struck by lightning a few times. Good thing there was nowhere for me to go. Definitely wasn't fun at all.