Soreness On Backside

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjarr7

Reaction score
I really hate to post this but will do so because I'm getting desperate. I bought my FJR a few months ago but do to heavy business travel have not been able to ride like I want and have only put 3300 mi on the thing. My problem I'm hopeing someone can help me w/ is I can only ride about 50mi before my tailbone starts hurtung. It's not my ass it's my tailbone. I am not a new rider but have onlt rode cruisers before this FJR. I have even put a Corbin seat on that really doesn't help. I'm wondering if I could be sitting on bike wrong somehow-Iknow that sounds stupid but I bought this bike because I heard alot about comfort and I like to do alot of long (300mi)rides. Sorry for length of this post but any help much appreciated.

Do you have a "Pilonidal Cyst"

I had one a couple years ago and it HURT LIK M'fin hell sometimes.

Its a cyst at the base of the tailbone (actually it can also be a large clump of hair that grows INWARDS)

Or.......

It could be the seat.

I have even put a Corbin seat on that really doesn't help.
Corbin seats for the FJR have a reputation of being harder than the stock seats.

Might try a Russell Day-Long or a Mayer seat.

Cheers

What you may be experiencing as tailbone pain could just be lower back pain. I had this very mildly until I put risers on my bike. Others had this more severe. I have straight up 1 inch risers and that made a difference.

What's been said about the Corbin seat is common as well. Others say is has a crown/peak in the middle that might cause tailbone pain.

Why not give risers a try and see if it makes a difference.

Oh...No.....Seat options and problems!

You will find as many ideas and opinions as there are members...maybe more.

Corbin seats are built on the principle that if you have perfectly shaped saddle carved out of oak, you will be comfortable. They use a high grade of concrete in their excuse for foam. For some people, this is wonderful, fantastic and comfortable and they can ride all day. For others (like me) it's miserable and bone-jarring--I find it transmits EVERY vibration and hurts my back.

I have never found the perfect seat. Russell, in theory, makes it, but you have to convince them to make it the way YOU need it, not the way they think it should be. I have a Russell for my FZ1, and while it's true--my butt doesn't get sore, my shoulders and wrists and lower back do because I could NEVER get them to angle it right and it shoves me into the tank. A lot of Russell owners have had this complaint.

I haven't tried either of the Myers (Rick or Rocky), or the Sargant yet.

Currently, I have a SheepyHollow sheepskin cover on the FJR. It helps. I also have risers and they help too. Still not perfect, though.

Curiously, I have found that the height and placement of the footpegs makes a HUGE difference. Since the FJR doesn't have adjustable pegs I got the same effect with the Wilbers shock by lowering it to the bottom--comfort, for me increased greatly.

When I put a Corbin on the '03 I had I found I needed to adjust the bars, so Gen-mar bar risers went on, too. After that I found the bike to be, for me, very comfy/supportive for 400-500 miles. I'm 6'2" and at the time @ 230#s.

The other thing I did a lot of twiddling with was all the suspension settings...as it came from the factory I found the ride harsh and was less than impressed with the handling to put it mildly. After quite a bit of fiddling I got the bike's suspension to be acceptable to me; unfortunately while I recorded the adjustments in the owner's manual both it and the bike are long gone...due to the massive and unacceptable engine heat that was radiated onto me.

Sure hoping that Yamaha really did address/improve/fix the issue on my ordered '06! DFO

Well, let me add my $0.02.

Stock seat gave me butt burn around 100 miles into the ride. I was squirming, standing on the pegs and doing butt crunches to relieve the burn (not pain).

Replaced the stocker w/ a Sargent seat. Went for a 200 mile ride a few days ago and actually forgot abt the seat until near the end of the trip and then had an "Oh yeah" moment..."I have a new seat on this thing."

I'd bet the consensus of opinion among FJR pilots will be for a Russell seat but I like the looks of the Sargent on my bike.

BTW, I'm 200 lbs, 6'3" and 34" inseam. I have OEM settings on the suspension and have not yet installed risers (D&D's) but will do so soon. So far, I find the riding position and new Sargent seat to be comfortable for my type of riding (no LD trips so far).

Now, abt the oil... :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm cruising this forum for gen info for a new ride and the FJR id on my shortlist. That said Sjarr7- I now have a FZ1, had the same problem re tailbone pain and did 2 things which got rid of it for me:1- put the gyt-r bar kit which lowers the bars by 300mm and rotates one forward of the tailbone and 2- got a Rick Mayer(of Redding CA) seat. Had a chance to ride an 05 FJR for 60km a couple of weeks ago and while for that length of time in the saddle t was okay I sure would like to be able to move the bars forward some and the seat seemed to be okay. Apparently for 2006 the bar and seat position can be moved as standard. The FJR is a nice machine. The only comment I have is that I found the vibrations after about 120kph/75mph quite pronounced. Have to wonder if this machince was set up okay. It had 200km on it. Appologise for hijacking the thread-re first FJR ride thoughts. Dave

I really hate to post this but will do so because I'm getting desperate. I bought my FJR a few months ago but do to heavy business travel have not been able to ride like I want and have only put 3300 mi on the thing. My problem I'm hopeing someone can help me w/ is I can only ride about 50mi before my tailbone starts hurtung. It's not my ass it's my tailbone. I am not a new rider but have onlt rode cruisers before this FJR. I have even put a Corbin seat on that really doesn't help. I'm wondering if I could be sitting on bike wrong somehow-Iknow that sounds stupid but I bought this bike because I heard alot about comfort and I like to do alot of long (300mi)rides. Sorry for length of this post but any help much appreciated.
Sjarr7,

I had the same problem. I couldn’t go more than an hour without severe pain in the buns. I have the Corbin on the bike now and 12 hour days are a lot more comfortable. However, it took 1000 miles for the seat and my butt to adjust to each other. The Sargent seat is suppose to be a little better.

The pain comes from the upright sitting position. You are putting all of your weight on your arse and none on the arms and legs. The Yamaha seat is just not up to the task. I even considered lowering my bars to have a more normal weight spread. However, If I keep the bike, I will probably go with the Day Long.

Thanks everybody for help. Believe I'll be calling Russell this winter and after another 1000mi or so and decide which seat to keep. I'm 5'11 220lbs and still think maybe I'm slouching over or sitting too upright-who knows? Anyway thanks again.

I just bought a Sargent seat with the passenger backrest.

I am 6ft tall and weigh 187. I will let you all know how it goes when i get it hopefully this week.

Had a Corbin on my 2002 Kawasaki Drifter that was an excellent seat.

Looking forward to the Sargent to see how it is constructed and how it feels.

My biggest problem with the seat is it's tendency to push me up against the tank. Normally I like this riding position but with the heat coming off the tank it frying my boys. :(

I keep standing up and pushing myself back but I'll just start sliding forward again. The stock seat is quite sticky which holds on to my pants while I slide forward. OUCH! It's like a reverse wedgy.

I had a Corbin seat on my old RoadStar which was a bit too hard and slippery for me and my wife. Not sure if the Corbin for the FJR is as slick or not, but the old one made my wife feel unattached to the bike and she'd never relax.

Thanks everybody for help. Believe I'll be calling Russell this winter and after another 1000mi or so and decide which seat to keep. I'm 5'11 220lbs and still think maybe I'm slouching over or sitting too upright-who knows? Anyway thanks again.
Don't wait for your Russell. There's a group buy going on RIGHT NOW! If you're thinking of getting one, now's the time to pull the trigger!

Russell Group Buy Details

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an airhawk. Actually, I have $140 credit at a local shop and got on in exchange. It's a different kind of comfort but I still get sore ass after an hour. I can move it around so that helps. I'll slide it forward, and backward as the need arises. Still not as good as it could be. I'll go the sheepskin route next. I am all about doing it on the cheap before I blow my load on a seat.