Sorry if this has been done to death, work with me guys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdog

Reaction score
I got a trip coming up and need a pad or something for my tired, well worn-down Corbin seat. Cant afford a new seat just yet……. well, i can, but then there wouldn't be any trip lol.

Gonna be a few thousand miles, a portion of it 2 up so ill prob be buying the passenger doo-dad too.

Narrowed it down to either the Airhawk or the Comfort Max. Just wondering which was considered "better" or maybe just got better reviews by any who've actually owned them.

Im 6'0 tall 190 pounds, not a lot of cushion back there. Not expecting any miracles, just something to help me out.

From what I've read they both seem to get decent reviews, just looking for any extra input before i drop the money. Thanks a ton guys for any help provided. These forums were always helpful in the past.

If you want to try the inexpensive route, go to Sports Authority and buy a pair of Spandex Bicycle riding shorts with a decent Gel Pad built into them. They're cheap and do the job in a pinch.

I don't think you really want "a pinch" on anything you're sittin' on. :p

But the bicycle shorts are actually a good idea.

I have an Alaska Sheep pad, and last year I added an air cushion under it!

Got it at REI for 20 bucks! Made by Therma-rest. It's just like the camping pad, only it's the shape of a chair seat. Just a small amount of air adds a lot of comfort. Too much air feels like you're floating on a bubble!

I think I have a Pic somewhere...

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

Makes my new to me Corbin very comfy!

Last edited by a moderator:
it down to either the Airhawk or the Comfort Max. Just wondering which was considered "better" or maybe just got better reviews by any who've actually owned them.
I run an Airhawk and couldn't live without on my scoot...have a Sargeant Seat (which is wider with a bit of a bucket), so the "cruiser medium 14"x14" is the correct size. The wifey had to have her own pillion Airhawk after sitting on mine to try.

I have the original Airhawk, now call the Airhawk R. Recently, they came out with the Airhawk 2 as another choice.

You probably should do your own investigation, but my understanding/memory of diffs are:

Original Airhawk R

made of rubber

easily repaired with bike tube patch kit (my current needed a patch on a pinhole at 2 yr ownership

more robust (I get over 3 years out of mine...eventually the cover fades and fails, and the rubber bladder eventually dry rots)

retail $199

New Airhawk 2

made of vinyl

hard or maybe unrepairable

less robust

retail $99

street price mail order is generally 75% of retail

google "roho" who is the manufacturer of Airhawk

hope this helps,

Mike in Nawlins'

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

Makes my new to me Corbin very comfy!

Looks nice. Went online but only found this:

https://www.campmor.com/therm-a-rest-lite-seat.shtml

Or ones that were square/rectangular ...yours seems to be curved on two corners.

When we were in Colorado I bought a whole sheepskin that I still plan to use in making a seat cover. Does that pad you got have a model number on it?

Or is it just the photo and it is the same pad in my link?

TIA

Knifemaker

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you could try a sheep skin then you could add an air hawk under it if you need .Simply buy a sheepskin and get someone to stitch some wide elastic to it so you can tie it over the seats .

I have used sheepskins for about 35 years and love them

I was lucky enough to find in the saddle bags when I bought my bike, two custom made sheepskin covers.

when you get back from the trip, find someone to install memory foam in your stock seat. problem solved. half the price of new

when you get back from the trip, find someone to install memory foam in your stock seat. problem solved. half the price of new
I had already installed medical grade memory foam (Pudgy) in the seat. It helped but didn't fix.

The sheepskin from Alaska Sheepskin is really dense and perfectly trimmed so it's an even length all over! Very nice.

I just did another 400 miles (up and down off of three mountains and a bit of slab!)today with a little bit of air in that cushion under my sheepskin pad and I'm still good to go again. It's actually a pretty good (and cheap) solution.