Sound system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky3008

Finally got my collarbone fixed!!!
Reaction score
Ok guys, I started out with a Ipod Shuffle to see if I would even like riding my bike with sound and now I have found that when the battery dies I have gotten addicted to sound.

I am now ready (winter) to install a real sound system. Something that runs off the power of the bike, maybe sirius radio, can put either cds or mp3's on and I can either buy a nice helmet (currently have a plain jane HJC) with built in speakers or something.

Please, Warchild has excellent How to's on his website for many maintenance things.

I would like something with detailed information on mounting, wiring etc on achieving this.

List of hardware required and installation how to would be most excellent...

Thanks

I have seen many of you guys with pictures of the end result...

Ok guys, I started out with a Ipod Shuffle to see if I would even like riding my bike with sound and now I have found that when the battery dies I have gotten addicted to sound.
I am now ready (winter) to install a real sound system. Something that runs off the power of the bike, maybe sirius radio, can put either cds or mp3's on and I can either buy a nice helmet (currently have a plain jane HJC) with built in speakers or something.

Please, Warchild has excellent How to's on his website for many maintenance things.

I would like something with detailed information on mounting, wiring etc on achieving this.

List of hardware required and installation how to would be most excellent...

Thanks

I have seen many of you guys with pictures of the end result...
FWIW, I have become a dealer for Starcom. I will be concentrating on the new Starcom Advance as the heart the system for my bike. The Starcom Advance is an imporved version of the Starcom1. It offers better audio quality than the original, and in a much smaller package.

I will document the installation and the pieces I use when I get them installed and tested. I will let you know when it is done.

I have read a little about it on their site.

Questions:

I see I can hook my phone to it. I guess when I would get a call do I still have to answer or does the system do that automatically and change to that channel?

Also can I have another feed say XM or mp3 player on it also?

Thanks

Reading the site more I think I have answered my own questions above.

With this being the center piece of the system connecting say mp3, XM and my phone.

Now I just need a good mp3 player that can be powered by 12v and how to plus mount.

Need a XM for the bike and a how to for power and mount.

Audio system write ups?

Hmmm...

Audio

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/acc/cb/cb.html

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/acc/ear/ear.html

Mixing multiple audio sources into the single aux-audio input of the above system

https://www.mixitproducts.com/

Power

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/mods/pdb/pdb.html

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/mods/jp/jp.html

Using a bulkhead connector to feed power into the tank bag from the front Jastek outlet. Them the MixIt, MP3, Sirius receiver and etc. all ride in the tank bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I am all over your site today.

One question I posted on another thread.

Auto-retract fjr info site. You mention a jumper that I don't see on the fjrinfo page. It looks like they just leave it unpluged but you mention a jumper???

Yea, I am all over your site today.One question I posted on another thread.

Auto-retract fjr info site. You mention a jumper that I don't see on the fjrinfo page. It looks like they just leave it unpluged but you mention a jumper???
what they "unplug" is the jumper shown in photo #1 in my reply. pulling the connector (jumper) disables the auto-retract. instead of just tossing it in the trash, i used it as the source for switched power to the "energizing" circuit of the relay to one power distribution block.

I extended the "hot side" of the loop and then plugged it back in to the harness where it came from.

Since the loop was "broken", the windshield auto-retract is still disabled, but the power is now available to activate the relay when the key is turned on.

That negated the need to tap the wiring harness anywhere (and possibly create corrosion and stress failure points).

Hi Sparky,

Do Not do this:

Me, as an ex-musician (Bass Player etc) on a limited budget, I tried just taking the output of my 40 GB MP3 player and adding a headphone adapter/splitter from rat-shack and plugging in the audio from my GPS. The splitter ruined the MP3 player headphone output.

I use Scorpion and Shoei helmets (OAT) and have just used some good earphones made by etonics? that seals my ears. The music is great, but I can't hear anything like ambulance sirens or old people yelling at me at stop lights trying to get me to slow down.

I want to add something more sophisticated, but don't want to spend $200.00 on an audio mixer when the majority of my riding is the hellish 12 mile commute I have to deal with.

Let me know if you find a cost conscious way of incorporating your audio needs. I personally do NOT want to take phone calls when riding.

I didn't like helmet speakers and have opted for in the ear "earphones". The Etymotic ER6i's are quite popular. And they block out a LOT of background noise.

So far, I have followed the KISS rule, but the Starcom, Mixit, or Autocom are nice units for a hub. As it is now, I have a Roady XT on my bike just plugged into an accessory socket. I have a Creative Zen Nano Plus 1gig MP3 player that powers my earphones and picks up the XM via FM. The Zen runs about 10 hours on ONE AAA. Can't beat that. And it holds about 8 hours of music. And no hard drive.

As posted on another thread, the Autocoms are on sale for 1/2 price. Something to consider.

I like that idea of using the windhield retract as a swithced power source. Easy to tap in there! If I finally get a hub on my bike (very likely), that's the way I'll go.

Ok, I am almost sold on getting the Creative Zen 6Gb MP3 Player to replace my Ipod Shuffle.

Was wondering of those of you who use MP3 players only do you just use battery power?

Anyone tried the 120v adapter and using a power converter and just running the mp3 full time off of this?

dc-to-ac-car-adapter.jpg

Or does the mp3 player not play when in charge mode?

Ok, I am almost sold on getting the Creative Zen 6Gb MP3 Player to replace my Ipod Shuffle.
Was wondering of those of you who use MP3 players only do you just use battery power?

Anyone tried the 120v adapter and using a power converter and just running the mp3 full time off of this?

dc-to-ac-car-adapter.jpg

converters are notoriously inefficient. I just use the cigar lighter adapter and Y off the feed in the tank bag.

The Creative will not play if you fully discharge it, then plug it into the car charger. It needs about 15 - 30 minutes of charge before it will play, but it will play while it continues to charge.

The Creative will not play if you fully discharge it, then plug it into the car charger. It needs about 15 - 30 minutes of charge before it will play, but it will play while it continues to charge.
So if I left it plugged in on the bike all the time it would never go down.

Do you see any ill effects from this?

dc-to-ac-car-adapter.jpg

converters are notoriously inefficient. I just use the cigar lighter adapter and Y off the feed in the tank bag.
Cigar lighter adapter from what Bounce?

Are you referring to a PowerLet that you installed?

dc-to-ac-car-adapter.jpg

I wonder how much wattage that thing eats up?!?!?

I opted for an MP3 player with a smaller memory, but no moving drive. I thought the FJR, smooth as it is, might be brutal on a spinning disk. So I got the Zen with 1gig flash. Probably one of the reasons it runs so long on just 1 AAA battery.

Doesn't the Zen unit you're talking about have a DC plug in?

I put a regular power socket in my "D" panel. I have two powerlets on the lower left side for gear. I have 1 - 2 and 1 - 3 power socket adapters. Certainly, if I was going for a hub, I'd hard wire the power to as much "fixed" equipment as possible. However, I like to take my Zen and my XM with me in different vehicles. So something needs batteries or a plug in socket.

PS: probably in my '06 I'm going to put the power socket HORIZONTALLY in the "B" or "C" panel ... assUming that it HAS those panels...