source for "hard rubber"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghost

Reaction score
Okay, I know I may[?] get slammed for the tiltle, but I want to make a pair of extenders for the mirrors on my 06. I want to move 'm out about an inch.

I believe I can make some out of a hard rubber block [ to dampen any harmonic vibes ] but I cannot locate a source in my area.

any help would be appreciated..

Not at all! It's actually a very refreshing post that I don't ever remember seeing on this board. Good job. Makes one remember what this board is about ;)

I don't know of a source of "hard rubber", but maybe a part made out of "Delrin"--the material used to make various sliders.

Most people who have wanted to extend their mirrors here though have either gone with the longer mirrors from the FZ1 or an aftermarket FJR mirror that appears popular on eBay. $100 range for the former and $50 for the latter? I've seen both and couldn't even tell the difference on the FZ1 mirrors until somebody pointed it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to make a pair of extenders for the mirrors on my 06. I want to move 'm out about an inch.
The screws on the mirror will be too short to move them out that much. +1 to using a material such as Delrin, nylon or hard plastic as a spacer. As the mirrors move out they become more susceptible to buffeting and the harder material will help.
I've got the FZ1 mirrors on my '04 and they work great but dunno how they would look on an '06. Many people have had problems with the cheap mirrors from EBay. The rivet that allows the mirrors to fold seems to be the weak point. The rivet can be replaced with a bolt/nut and that seems to work fine.

Delrin would be the ticket. Would stay away from rubber. While it has dampening qualities it does get funky after exposure to UV and ozone...Delrin would look better longer.

Oh ya, as to the actual question

source for "hard rubber"
One source is McMaster Carr. The following is for a 1"x1" block of Delrin which can be easly cut and worked.
material-------------Acetal

Acetal Material-----Delrin

Backing-------------Plain Back

Shape--------------Sheets, Bars, Strips, Square Bar and Cubes

Thickness----------1"

Length-------------Cut-to-Length

Width--------------1"

Maximum Continuous Length-------4'

Highest Temperature +100° to +200° F

$11/foot

The screws on the mirror will be too short to move them out that much.
In order to add an inch of reach, which I think anything less would not be worth the extra effort, you will probably need to do a little improvising to still use the stock mirrors. The piece you decide to use as the spacer will need an offset built into it in terms of hole locations to provide the extension. If the '06 mirrors are the same as previous year bikes, you will need to create a counterbore in your spacer with a nut on the back to create the anchor point. Then 2 more holes to act as a mounting point to get your mirror and spacer bolted back up to the bike.

Sort of like this?

06mirrorextensionconcept4view.jpg

06mirrorextensionconcept.jpg

If you don't want to go to this route but still want to see better I might suggest looking at:

www.multivexmirror.com

Mirror design used on F1 race cars - they have one specifically for FJRs.

good luck

I have used urethane and nylon as materials that have some give but can be machined and made into spacers. Urethane can be sourced through Anchor-Lamina and I'm not sure where we get nylon but if you are interested I can find out at work. The urethane comes in different durometers depending what you need.

Okay, I know I may[?] get slammed for the tiltle, but I want to make a pair of extenders for the mirrors on my 06. I want to move 'm out about an inch.I believe I can make some out of a hard rubber block [ to dampen any harmonic vibes ] but I cannot locate a source in my area.

any help would be appreciated..
I would think a hockey puck would be about the right hardness, cheap too.

I would like to purchase a set of these spacers too, please PM me with details for payment when they become available...thanks again, FJRForum RULES!!!

Did anyone ever complete a mirror extender project building spacers out of Delrin? I was thinking aluminum, but Derlin would be easier material to work with as DIY project.