Southeastern RTE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duane,

I think you have a winner of a great idea. You should start up a new thread. Never mind, I see you already did. Good one!

I am not sure I could come...maybe 50/50...but that doesn't mean the rest of you couldn't have an awesome time.

Go for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
The WTT museum is a great "rainy day activity", IMO. Otherwise, not so much for a non-pirate, again IMNSHO. If the curator will fire up that Crocker and do a burnout down the museum isle, that's was kind of cool!

The WTT museum is a great "rainy day activity", IMO. Otherwise, not so much for a non-pirate, again IMNSHO. If the curator will fire up that Crocker and do a burnout down the museum isle, that's was kind of cool!
It is kind of piratey. Most of his stuff is from an era when pirate was all there was. Needs more Brit stuff. I've probably over sold it to the crowd and now they will be disappointed. Except for Ray-he's got pirate all through his family tree.

WTT might not be worth a dedicated trip if you had to slab your way there. But as a 1 hour diversion mixed in with a good ride or RTE it wouldn't disappoint, I believe.

It is kind of piratey. Most of his stuff is from an era when pirate was all there was. Needs more Brit stuff. I've probably over sold it to the crowd and now they will be disappointed. Except for Ray-he's got pirate all through his family tree.

WTT might not be worth a dedicated trip if you had to slab your way there. But as a 1 hour diversion mixed in with a good ride or RTE it wouldn't disappoint, I believe.
Duane, It is not oversold at all. The place is awesome. Even more so if Dale is there to start things up. His and his son's energy is infectious. If someone is to slab somewhere just to eat why wouldn't it be worth the trip?.

If someone is to slab somewhere just to eat why wouldn't it be worth the trip?.
For me, because it's 3.44 hrs of saddle time slabbing it to get there. That means it's 3.44 hrs of saddle time on the slab to get home. I know my riding capabilities, perhaps you are more durable than I. But for me there's not a lot of time to be spared in between if I want to do something besides drone down an interstate highway and still be home in what is for me a decent and comfortable amount of time. Just the ride time + the break times + the eat time + the return ride time+ breaks is approaching my limits of 'tolerable comfort'.

Intech posted: <snipped a lot> If someone is to slab somewhere just to eat why wouldn't it be worth the trip?
Yes, yes, yes!

Some of us have to slab 10 or 12 miles just to get across town. I'm completely OK with that, because otherwise I wouldn't ride a motorbike at all.

And, like rbentnail said above, if I want to get to the Florida Tech Day or Hooterville, I'm committing to Interstate almost all the way. With music, a telephone connection, changing scenery, and riding through unfamiliar cities at high speed, it's really not boring. The payoff for a few hours on the Interstate is that I get to shake hands with others who enjoy riding -- like our Stax breakfast in January, weekend rides for the Big Money Rally, or the train of five FJRs riding to Kingsport for the IBR check-in.

Yes, I enjoy the sport part of sport touring, but I enjoy the touring part even more.

If someone is to slab somewhere just to eat why wouldn't it be worth the trip?.
For me, because it's 3.44 hrs of saddle time slabbing it to get there. That means it's 3.44 hrs of saddle time on the slab to get home. I know my riding capabilities, perhaps you are more durable than I. But for me there's not a lot of time to be spared in between if I want to do something besides drone down an interstate highway and still be home in what is for me a decent and comfortable amount of time. Just the ride time + the break times + the eat time + the return ride time+ breaks is approaching my limits of 'tolerable comfort'.
Exactly the reason I didn't go to the Scooter's RTE. Hell, WTT in Maggie Valley is too far for a RTE for me. I would have to plan , at least, one overnight. Of course it is well worth it in the area! A RTE is not an event like EOM, etc. It is more of a local thing I think. My point wasn't really about slabbing to a RTE. It was about WTT being worth it. I think it is. I have been three times and I will go back every time I am in the area. I think it is great what Dale and his son are doing to preserve motorcycle history. LIVING history.

Made it back home Uncle Hud. Great RTE and it was good to meet everyone. We need to do this again. And a few pics
20150822_140453.jpg

20150822_140439.jpg

I'm kinda curious what everyone was looking at on my bike...I didn't think I left a pucker on the seat trying to follow 1911 on Warwoman Rd. on the way up there....

Aftermarket seat? Sticker that says "BMWs breathe my fumes?"

Still looking at getting a ride posted for September or October...thinking north of Asheville somewhere...maybe Trust or Roan Mtn area??

Hey Russ/rbentnail, thanks for making the big haul over here. I'm sure it wasn't fun fighting with trucks and cars on I85 on the way over, then following the cagers on US 64 heading home.
Maybe the next gathering can be someplace north of Asheville somewhere, so you don't have to head out so far next time.

Do Saturdays or Sunday work better for people?
I was surprised about I85. Yeah it can sometimes be a pain but this time even going through Charlotte was a breeze: moderate traffic, no accidents or construction at all. Leaving, I understand the sightseers and leisurely driving but it was just the sheer number of folks that were out. But it's all good riding when I settle into the fact that it's a "chill the F out and enjoy" ride instead of a "get the H home NOW" ride. Plus remember I had additional stops to make on the way home:

Gorges State Park

Dupont State Forest

And Stumbled across Holmes Educational State Forest

My work schedule is a rotating one so it's a toss-up as to whether I can be anywhere on any given day. Plan it and I'll be there if I can. Off the top of my head I recommend https://www.theredonioncafe.com/ in Boone, NC. They'll take reservations
smile.png
. And https://www.woodlandsbbq.com/ in Blowing Rock, NC. And https://bayousmokehouse.com/#about-us in Banner Elk, NC. They had the brisket ready for lunch when last I was there
punk.gif

Still looking at getting a ride posted for September or October...thinking north of Asheville somewhere...maybe Trust or Roan Mtn area??
Looking at Sept first-working around Labor Day, EOM and Hooterville leaves us Sept 12-13 or 19-20. That menu for Bayou Smokhouse looks pretty good. Across Roan Mtn and then over to Banner Elk???

We've been to https://trustgeneralstore.com/ a half dozen times or so. It's been good all but once, when we took a big crowd in on a Friday. Wheels through time is just minutes from Trust-if anybody is interested

Might it be better to hit Banner Elk in Sept and save Trust for Oct ? Are we getting close to setting up a monthly RTE
smile.png
? How's the weather in the Boone/Banner Elk area in late Oct?

Personally, I think the best RTE planning is exactly what Uncle Hud did in post #1: Someone takes the reins, starts a new thread and says, "Unstructured RTE! I'm going [here] to eat on [this date] in [this town] at [this time]. Everyone is welcome to come along." I've seen it time and time and time again where everyone yaks about it and nothing happens by trying to please everyone. It's called Paralysis By Analysis. IMHO if you want a RTE then post up the details. Sometimes, like one person did in U.Hud's thread, a planned route will be posted in case a meet-up is possible.

If you're going to plan it then run with it. But surely don't expect any kind of consensus on anything, you're not new here. On any given day some folks can make it, some folks not. That's just the way it is and it's exactly why I quit planning for anyone but me. I decide the details, post them up and if other folks can make it, fine. If they can't that's fine too- I didn't plan for them, I planned for me. What am I supposed to do if no one else commits? Sit at home and mope or drink? Not. I'm still going to RTE with or without others.

As far as weather, I check the weather channel and NOAA on line
rolleyes.gif

Hey! Don't be making fun of those of us who sit at home, mope, and drink. When they announce that as an Olympic sport, I'm a shoo-in for the US national team!

Personally, I think the best RTE planning is exactly what Uncle Hud did in post #1: Someone takes the reins, starts a new thread and says, "Unstructured RTE! I'm going [here] to eat on [this date] in [this town] at [this time]. Everyone is welcome to come along." I've seen it time and time and time again where everyone yaks about it and nothing happens by trying to please everyone. It's called Paralysis By Analysis. IMHO if you want a RTE then post up the details. Sometimes, like one person did in U.Hud's thread, a planned route will be posted in case a meet-up is possible.

If you're going to plan it then run with it. But surely don't expect any kind of consensus on anything, you're not new here. On any given day some folks can make it, some folks not. That's just the way it is and it's exactly why I quit planning for anyone but me. I decide the details, post them up and if other folks can make it, fine. If they can't that's fine too- I didn't plan for them, I planned for me. What am I supposed to do if no one else commits? Sit at home and mope or drink? Not. I'm still going to RTE with or without others.

As far as weather, I check the weather channel and NOAA on line
rolleyes.gif
There is iron in Rbentnail's words for all FJR riders to see (1).

Bayou Smokehouse in Banner ELK, 1:00 PM Sept 12 is where I'll be. Anywhere 2 or more gather in the name of riding there to eat, it shall be called a RTE!

(1)

edited to add footnote and bibliogratube to avoid accusations of plagiarism.