Speeding these days...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy, I find the irony between your rant and your screen name very amusing. Anywho, I did not read into that article that the "POS" was the kind of "SOB" that would blame the citing officer. The article seemed to me to be about the fact (assuming that it is a fact) that some local and state agencies are rasing fines and lowering speed limit buffers for the sole purpose of raising revenue. You stated that your agency has put zero pressure on you and your fellow officers to write additional citations. That's good. But can you say that it is the same way at all agencies? And here's a thought - what if your agency did start putting pressure on you to write more citations? Would you buck the system? Maybe, but I imagine most officers would go along, because we're talking about their jobs.

Jeff - the "F the police" comment - are you a fan of NWA?

Patriot, look what you went and did. Stirred up a shit-storm, you crazy man!

Out here in Kaliforniastan it is not the fine that gets you but all the added on CRAP they put on there. Ya gotta wonder who voted for this stuff. Our chickensh*t legislation always puts stuff on public referendum.

Out here in Kaliforniastan it is not the fine that gets you but all the added on CRAP they put on there. Ya gotta wonder who voted for this stuff. Our chickensh*t legislation always puts stuff on public referendum.
my beef is not with the being stopped for speeding when I legitimittly did so, and the speed limit is reasonable for the conditions

in fact, I'm good with LEO's grabbing someone for doing <5 over in a fog and/or driving rain

my beef is not the fine...I'll pay the fine (well, hopefully I'll continue to be able to afford it)

my fear is the insurance company. I don't believe it's fair to extend the consequences there for a one time citation, maybe per year.

I pay the $200 fine, and then the friggin insurance company charges me $200 more every six months for 3 years because of it.

It costs me $200 plus $400 per year times 3 or $1400...that's the part that gets me

My local county negotiates every traffic citation if you go to court on your assigned day for the plead.

Generally, if you have a clean record, they will allow a lesser charge of seat belt violation with flat $75 fine...no court cost, no moving violation

if it's a speeding ticket and your record is "reasonable" whatever that is (not habitual), they will allow a lessor charge of "improper equipment"

you are fined the same as the speeding offense, usually between $200 and $300, but it's a non moving so isn't reported to the insurance company

and also, they have the option by state law to attach a propation to the ticket which means if within the next year you get another moving violation, you are prevented from pleading to a lessor

This article and others I have read confirm my own observations and experiences over the past two years. That's why two weeks ago I bought a good radar detector, and next year's big budget farkle is likely to be electronic cruise control. I'd rather spend money up-front on my bike than pay more out to government tax collectors when possible.

Everyone has high regard of LEO :laughingsmiley: now that is funny...F the police is what I hear, and I'll have your job. Some drunk guy actually told me I'd be working in Alaska next week, I nearly fell down laughing.
well, most here are decent people who do (I hope)...I can't imagine the difficulty dealing with the drunks, brain damaged homeless, and the druggies

yep, the asshats on the lower, shit end of civilization (uncivilized), I'm sure is another story

I've been written up for a legitimate infraction by a state trooper who wrote the citation sitting in his car while running my plate before he even talked to me

And he wrote it up for exactly what his lazer clock read...no break, no chance to talk to him beforehand

He was quiet, professional, methodical, and sweating from the heat.

My polite reflexes kicked in with empathy for what his job is.

I said at different times and meant it:

"well, I wasn't paying attention and did exactly that"

"OK, thanx, where do I sign"

"OK, you be safe out here, sure is hot huh, this can't be easy"

"Look, I appreciate what you guys do...you are out here trying your best to make the streets safe"

"I know every day for you is NOT a good day"

He smiled, knodded, and walked away. I hope I improved his day and outlook on the public.

Now to ask the judge for a break on June 18th. :dribble:

Here in Lake Havasu this past weekend there was some sort of sport bike thing going on because sport bikes converged on our city in the thousands. All over the place lots and lots of sport bike riders were doing wheelies; in parking lots, up & down side streets, on our major through-fare hwy-95 and even after a red light changes green. Looking around, I see the largest majority had California plates. Arizona doesn't require helmets, so here are these young guys, with girl friends on back, no helmets, girl friends wearing bikini tops and shorts pulling wheelies at 45mph. These are the guys that make the general public and LEO dislike motorcyclist, especially anyone riding what resembles a sport bike, including FJR's.

I will admit it is so easy to exceed the posted speed limit on a bike, without even realizing it most of the time. I think many LEO would look the other way within reason under normal circumstances, especially if they do ride or have ridden in the past and understand why most riders are safer by staying ahead of traffic rather than being part of it. But when "mostly" young riders blatantly disregard basic common sense functions, things heat up for all of us.

I hope in November the people of Arizona vote out the speed cameras, because they seem to be every quarter mile in the entire Phoenix area, including freeways and surface streets. Its really annoying because they are everywhere.

NWA, North West Airlines? Not a fan of that or the rappers. LOL but I do hear that phrase allot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope in November the people of Arizona vote out the speed cameras, because they seem to be every quarter mile in the entire Phoenix area, including freeways and surface streets. Its really annoying because they are everywhere.
Hell they have the AZ HP on every exit & entrance of the 10 in Phoenix today! I got on the 10 at 35th and saw one highway patrol on the overpass turning onto the 10 E, I got on the 10W, saw one one the 10W ramp, there was one at the 43rd off ramp and another at the off ramp I took (51st). That was 4 Highway Patrol in 3 ramps in a row.

I once had respect for LEOs, I lost it in the last couple of years! IMHO most LEOs have gone from peace officers to tax collecting whores. You can say "I'm just doing what I'm ordered to" but that is what Hitlers men said at Nuremberg.

One thing I have noticed lately are a lot of 25 mile an hour signs going up. WTH These areas were normally posted 35 and now they are 25's. In one of the 25's they sit right on the corner waiting for you.

I just recently got bagged and the LEO was very irate before I had a chance to get two words out of my mouth. Long story short we will see each other in court I hope. With all the flooding that has gone on around here they are all pulling double shifts. This does not make one a happy cop. My nephew is a local cop and the only way he can get out of pulling a double or being called in is to say he just had several beers and do you really need me to come to work and enforce the law. My driving record has been clean for over 30 years. Other than the a couple I have managed to skate out of and gotten off over the years. Hopefully this one too. Regardless of my situation I still see a trend forming here and its not going to be good. Common sense is going out the window lately.

Off rant,

Good day,

Dave

It's pretty much like Rogue states here in town. We have a small abandoned factory just on the outskirts of town, one of it's two parking lots ends right on the township line where the speed limit changes from 35 to 55 mph. Its one of their favorite spots. Across the street is a corn field that extends all the way to the first stop sign in town and from the other direction well out into the township.

They like to hide behind the pine tree at the edge of the factory lot and catch people speeding up for the 55 limit leaving the city limits. I have to say they do a first class job protecting the corn from speeders.

The county cops on any side of town, pretty much all of which is cornfields don't practice this , just the town cops.

I live in the township so I'm not allowed to complain at the town meetings, many of which I attend anyway just to see whats going on. One of the comments I heard once from a council member to a town complainer was that most of the revenue came from townshippers and he should just watch his speed when coming back in from that direction.

I don't spend my money there anymore if I can help it, 5 miles further down is a much bigger city that doesn't practice that kind of crap enforcement.

Hell they have the AZ HP on every exit & entrance of the 10 in Phoenix today! I got on the 10 at 35th and saw one highway patrol on the overpass turning onto the 10 E, I got on the 10W, saw one one the 10W ramp, there was one at the 43rd off ramp and another at the off ramp I took (51st). That was 4 Highway Patrol in 3 ramps in a row.

I once had respect for LEOs, I lost it in the last couple of years! IMHO most LEOs have gone from peace officers to tax collecting whores. You can say "I'm just doing what I'm ordered to" but that is what Hitlers men said at Nuremberg.
I was just in Arizona last weekend, and you know how many times I got pulled over and hassled? NONE. Why? Because I'm a grown man who knows that if I get caught speeding in Arizona, I will probably get a ticket. So the solution is simple: If you don't want a ticket, pay attention to the signage and drive the speed limit. I know everyone gripes about cops writing ticktes, but these are the first people to call and whine that they just got cut off by that crazy driver, or gripe about speeding cars in their neighborhoods. Waaaaaaah.

As far as cops doing the revenue collecting, I call bullshit. The cops out there writing the tickets are too far down the totem pole to give a rat's ass how the county or city is making their money. Personally I have never been told to write more tickets, or to not give warnings because it does not bring in any money. I can't think of one cop who has been told that. I do know that even in todays's hyper sensative age, some agencies have tried to adopt what is really a quota disguised as a "performance standard" but those are put in place due to all the citizens that complain that the cops are spending too much time at the coffee shops. They are attempted because of city council/county commision/state legilsators who want those agencies to justify why they need the amount of manpower the agency is asking for.

I worked traffic enforcement for years, and honestly, I loved writing tickets. I still do. However, all it does is get me more people contacts every day, and generate more complaints. No one in administration cares if I write 400 tickets a month, but they care if I get two complaints a quarter. If I would have stayed parked under a tree all day, I would have made the same pay, done less paperwork, and gotten less hassle from my own people and gotten zero complaints. The way I see it though; I was never paid to sit under a tree, so the tax payers get their money's worth.

Now...The Arizona speed cameras; those things are for nothing more than revenue generation, but how many times have any of you that live there caught yourselves slowing down because you know one of those camera equipped Escapes is around there somewhere? I know we are all excellent drivers/riders with lightning reflexes that would never let our attention wander away from our superior driving skills, but not everyone is like that. The limits and laws are in place to account for the lowest common denominator drivers on the road. Look around...You can tell who they are.

As said before, if you don't like the laws in your state, city, county, town, or where ever, contact that places legislative government and register your gripe there. If they ignore you and continue their evil revenue schemes, foil their plans and obey the law...Then what'll they do?

I was just in Arizona last weekend, and you know how many times I got pulled over and hassled? NONE. Why? Because I'm a grown man who knows that if I get caught speeding in Arizona, I will probably get a ticket. So the solution is simple: If you don't want a ticket, pay attention to the signage and drive the speed limit. I know everyone gripes about cops writing ticktes, but these are the first people to call and whine that they just got cut off by that crazy driver, or gripe about speeding cars in their neighborhoods. Waaaaaaah.

As far as cops doing the revenue collecting, I call bullshit. The cops out there writing the tickets are too far down the totem pole to give a rat's ass how the county or city is making their money. Personally I have never been told to write more tickets, or to not give warnings because it does not bring in any money. I can't think of one cop who has been told that. I do know that even in todays's hyper sensative age, some agencies have tried to adopt what is really a quota disguised as a "performance standard" but those are put in place due to all the citizens that complain that the cops are spending too much time at the coffee shops. They are attempted because of city council/county commision/state legilsators who want those agencies to justify why they need the amount of manpower the agency is asking for.

I worked traffic enforcement for years, and honestly, I loved writing tickets. I still do. However, all it does is get me more people contacts every day, and generate more complaints. No one in administration cares if I write 400 tickets a month, but they care if I get two complaints a quarter. If I would have stayed parked under a tree all day, I would have made the same pay, done less paperwork, and gotten less hassle from my own people and gotten zero complaints. The way I see it though; I was never paid to sit under a tree, so the tax payers get their money's worth.

Now...The Arizona speed cameras; those things are for nothing more than revenue generation, but how many times have any of you that live there caught yourselves slowing down because you know one of those camera equipped Escapes is around there somewhere? I know we are all excellent drivers/riders with lightning reflexes that would never let our attention wander away from our superior driving skills, but not everyone is like that. The limits and laws are in place to account for the lowest common denominator drivers on the road. Look around...You can tell who they are.

As said before, if you don't like the laws in your state, city, county, town, or where ever, contact that places legislative government and register your gripe there. If they ignore you and continue their evil revenue schemes, foil their plans and obey the law...Then what'll they do?

One flaw in that argument 'zilla: the reasoning that speed limits are always reasonable and fair for the roadway; therefore we should accept them like big boys and girls and stop whining about it. There are traps out there and speed limits that are artificially low (and being lowered) for revenue generation. I agree with 20mph around school zones, even 15 around Hospitals. but (for example) Oregon having a State-wide 55mph limit on some of the most remote and boring byways in America? I don't buy it. Why must everyone conform to the lowest common denominator?

One flaw in that argument 'zilla: the reasoning that speed limits are always reasonable and fair for the roadway; therefore we should accept them like big boys and girls and stop whining about it. There are traps out there and speed limits that are artificially low (and being lowered) for revenue generation. I agree with 20mph around school zones, even 15 around Hospitals. but (for example) Oregon having a State-wide 55mph limit on some of the most remote and boring byways in America? I don't buy it. Why must everyone conform to the lowest common denominator?
Oh I'm with you Shiny. I never said all the laws were fair or reasonable. I do know that we have to conform to the lowest common idiot because no one really knows how many of them are out there. Why do some cops enforce stuff that everyone else thinks is unreasonable? I donno...You'd have to ask that cop. I really try not to, but we don't all have the same opinion on what is or is not reasonable and fair. My rule is this: If someone is doing something I would do on the same road, I won't issue a cite for it. We have a 45mph frontage road out here that is out in the middle of nowhere, and every time I'm on it I find myself doing close to 60. Usually I issue cites for 11 or more over, but on that road, I give to nearly 20 over before I'll even stop someone. The SL is stupid, but I'm not the guy to complain to.

I guess that was my argument...Don't blame us...We are not the ones that stacked up the debt, and mostly, we are not volunteering to generate revenue because someone asked us to. Just about every cop I know is an A-type personality that if told to do something because they have to will do everything in their power to do just the opposite...Except for those Virginia and Arizona guys...They are just fucking angry.

I find those LEO's on this site that ride an FJR and write speeding tickets for a living to be fairly entertaining. If you want to help someone change a flat tire, fetch a stranded motorist a gallon of gas, administer first aid, clean up an accident site, catch the car jacker etc..that is Protecting and Serving at its finest and is certainly appreciated by Joe Public.

What isn't so cool are those that preach the merits of obeying overly restrictive speed limits during each traffic stop and then swing a leg over their FJR when they finish their shift and go wick it up in the twisties that they just worked enforcement on.

I would be ashamed and embarassed to be such a hypocrite. If this doesn't apply to you then you won't be offended.

Very cool to hear the opinions of a couple of LEOs to bring things into perspective. I would not want to put up with the sh*t they put up with on a daily basis. I would be a bad LEO......with certain offenders, I would let them go even though they were filthy guilty, like 30 over. Others? They'd get tazed before they even got out of the car.

Over the years, I've met a couple of LEOs that were pr*cks from the word "go". But I get the feeling that they would be that way no matter what they did for a living. Think about the people you had to work with over the years......there were probably a few ass-hats in there. That said, over the years, the vast majority of LEOs that I've dealt with were honest, decent, fairly forgiving regular Joes. Almost every one did right by me. I just hope I don't see one on a deserted back road when I'm being the world's oldest juvenile delinquent on my FJR. :whistle:

I'm not traffic so I write very few tickets and when you get a ticket from me you are doing something very wrong or in a very bad area (99.999999% of speeding tickets at least 15+ over in the city, other .000001% are people that would not have got a ticket if they could shut up) ..... Not a hypocrite and don't write tickets for stuff I would do. 2 motorcycle tickets in 3 years.....and trust me they needed them.

.... over the years, the vast majority of LEOs that I've dealt with were honest, decent, fairly forgiving regular Joes. Almost every one did right by me. I just hope I don't see one on a deserted back road when I'm being the world's oldest juvenile delinquent on my FJR. :whistle:
Oh man, that is so true pregnant 'coon! The one cop that didn't fit that description, I met last year. Maybe that, and seeing Boston Police smoking pot behind the Brighton station back in the 70's when I was a kid, have colored my perception at times.

I should ad I have never been given a ticket that was not technically correct, though not always logical (IMHO). And I have never been to court on one because of that fact. I take my lumps, move on, and harbor a burning anger for years (I'm kidding about the rage).

Status
Not open for further replies.