speedlimit?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mestude

Reaction score
does anyone else find it hard to do regular speed limit during morning and evening commute to from work....I seem not to have as big of a problem during liesure rides...but when commuting i can stand to be in blind spots, so im constantly trying to be in front....is it just me????

does anyone else find it hard to do regular speed limit during morning and evening commute to from work....I seem not to have as big of a problem during liesure rides...but when commuting i can stand to be in blind spots, so im constantly trying to be in front....is it just me????
Whats this "speed limit" you speak of???? :D

Two days ago a biker was killed with a run in by the city transit bus. Yesterday a biker was killed on I-75 on the south side of ATL and all lanes were closed. So yes it's life or death out there and nobody see's bikers, especially quiet bikes. I stay out of blind spots as much as possible and will either speed up or drop back. Sometimes in heavy traffic your stuck and can't do anything...which I never like. I'm always trying to make sure I have an escape route.

I like to call it 'aggressive defensive' riding... B)
I have a similar take as well, especially in Atlanta. I always called it "Cautiously Aggressive". It sounds counter intuitive but all us riders now exactly what your talking about!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that I get very aggressive during my commute...and that those around me in cages had no problem still just hanging off my rear tire a few feet....therefore I rarely commute and just use my 4 wheeled vehicle.

My commute is so much more peaceful and relaxing for me now and I get to work in a better frame of mind.

I save my FJR for trips...so it is a fun vehicle only.

BTW, 20-30 years ago...the commuting attitudes of those around me in cages was not near like it is now.

I installed a set of Loud Horns! (Hella Supertones) It scares the shit out of them when they realize how close they are to me and didn't know it! :clapping:

I was lit up by a state trooper a few months back as I "aggressively" past a group of cars on a cloverleaf highway interersection. You know those area you have 100 yards to merge on, and off 2 highways. I was far left lane with no out to my left (concrete divider) as I pass straight thu the cars jockeying to get on and off. As soon as I had some clear space, I backed off the throttle. and saw the lights a few seconds later.

I got off the highways at the next off ramp, and pull into a parking lot. On kickstand with paper as the trooper arrives.

Do you know why I pulled you over? Yes sir... I was speeding about a mile back.

What's your rush? I explained the scenario from a trapped rat perspective. I only want some space to myself, and lane options to escape if needed. That section of highway is horrible for a biker.

Why did you not pull over when you saw my lights? Because this conversation is much safer in a parking lot off the highway when compared to the break down lane.

He liked all my answers and still wrote me up for 10 over... :huh: . It could have been worse. ;)

My excerpt from the RD detector thread:

It is also easier to pay attention to the Road & Traffic than looking down at the Speedo every 5 seconds to make sure you are not going 2-5mph over... especially when a cyclist has to go a little faster than the prevailing traffic to be safe and on a FJR where 60 feels like 35mph this can really help keep you in check.

So all in all it helps one pay attention to the important things and actually be safer.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=139518

I installed a set of Loud Horns! (Hella Supertones) It scares the shit out of them when they realize how close they are to me and didn't know it! :clapping:

What do you do to those that are tailgating you?
I twist the Throttle until I'm a dot in the Horizon! :rolleyes:

I'll take the speeding ticket if I have to! :unsure:

THUS, my problem with commuting on my FJR. Tickets and higher insurance costs, or driving within the pack of tailgaters. In fact, the commute is so car locked that to get away from tailgaters might require splitting lanes at speed and risking a resultant reckless driving, ticket.

No sir, not for me anymore. As much as I love riding my FJR...I risk too much if I commute with it.

Thus the title of this thread....speedlimit?

THUS, my problem with commuting on my FJR. Tickets and higher insurance costs, or driving within the pack of tailgaters. In fact, the commute is so car locked that to get away from tailgaters might require splitting lanes at speed and risking a resultant reckless driving, ticket.

No sir, not for me anymore. As much as I love riding my FJR...I risk too much if I commute with it.

I have the Ticket Defence Team on Speed Dial. I've used them about a dozen times now. They've gotten my off every time! :rolleyes:

I'm lucky enough to typically be able to commute during odd hours, mid-morning and sometime before/after the 16:00-17:00 rush. If I had to pile in with the hord of cagers in a metro like Atlanta (like Dom does), I'd give up commuting on the bike. Not so much because of not handling the situation, but mostly because I can't handle the citations and insurance costs associated with keeping myself comfortable in that environment.

The letter of the law makes no provision for doing whatever it takes to gain control over your riding circumstances. I guess the law's position is "drive a car with lots of airbags". I sorta get that, but I still don't like it.

:(

The commute up and down 35W for me one of my more interesting rides! Flying by in the carpool lane waiting for a car to think about cutting in front of me is fun... HID's help them to move over!

I have the Ticket Defence Team on Speed Dial. I've used them about a dozen times now. They've gotten my off every time! :rolleyes:
So how much does your ticket defense team cost per crack? Also, are they related to the traffic court judge?

Do you have to do court supervision stuff...or do they really get the ticket thrown out every time?

It sounds like speed limits are not speed limits for you...must be nice.

;)

So how much does your ticket defense team cost per crack? Also, are they related to the traffic court judge?

Do you have to do court supervision stuff...or do they really get the ticket thrown out every time?

It sounds like speed limits are not speed limits for you...must be nice.
The cost depends on where you get the ticket. Local it can cost $70. Not Local can cost $270. No! I don't think they are related to the judge. Not Absolutely sure but, I doubt it. :rolleyes:

No court supervised stuff although one judge made me do a 4 hour online driver safety course. Yes, They do get you off completely. They are lawers and know how to legally make the ticket go away every time. :)

Now, Let me make this perfectly clear. I'm not talking about riding 120mph with my hair on fire. On the contrary. I'm a safe and reponsible rider who over the course of 35 years have been ticketed for going a wee bit over the limit. :)

Only one time was it on the Bike. That was riding lead with Radiohowie behind me going to Pensacola to meet Patriot and his crew. He said he clocked me doing 90. I told him I was NOT doing 90 and that we hadn't done 90 all day! :huh:

I pointed at Radiohowie and said: Look how old that guy is!! If he was going 90 he'd wet himself! :lol: He looked at Radiohowie and made it out for 79. :yahoo:

That was on I10 cruising through Tallahassee. That one cost $270! On my Birthday No Less! The Trooper wished me a Happy Birthday Too! That was Cold Blooded! Nice Guy though! :D

Sounds like a Chunk of Change but, It's Waaay Cheaper than Higher Insurance Rates! It was my Insurance lady who told me to use them! :lol:

All my life conventional driving advice to me from family, Dad, Grandfather, Uncles, etc was "either drive slower, or faster than the pack, never with it, or in it". So that is how I drive. If it is safe, always faster, if in doubt I make a head adjustment and ride slower.

I also had the luxury of 6:30 am to 2:30 pm for the last 10 years of working so commute was very nice.

If I knew I had gridlock every day, I would cage it for sure!

I found that I get very aggressive during my commute...and that those around me in cages had no problem still just hanging off my rear tire a few feet....therefore I rarely commute and just use my 4 wheeled vehicle.

My commute is so much more peaceful and relaxing for me now and I get to work in a better frame of mind.

I save my FJR for trips...so it is a fun vehicle only.

BTW, 20-30 years ago...the commuting attitudes of those around me in cages was not near like it is now.
I find driving on the freeways and urban surface streets in the midwest to be among the worst experiences I have ever had on a motorcycle. Traffic is insanely congested, fast-moving, with unpredictable behavior and inattentiveness everywhere. Everyone has a God-given right to be on their cell phone. The attitude towards motorcycles ranges from invisible to downright hostility, and there is no escape being able to filter to the front at lights or split lanes. If that wasn't bad enough, all the roads are flat (except for the pot-holes) and laid out in a grid, so where's the reward? The number of police and radar/laser units on patrol on the freeways is incredible. If I lived where you do, I would do the same.

So yes it's life or death out there and nobody see's bikers, especially quiet bikes.
So, you're one of those "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" guys??? :p :p :p

Only one time was it on the Bike. That was riding lead with Radiohowie behind me going to Pensacola to meet Patriot and his crew. He said he clocked me doing 90. I told him I was NOT doing 90 and that we hadn't done 90 all day! :huh:
s'truth! I was behind majicmaker, pedaling like a mofo tryin' ta keep up! It was a shit-brown Nissan 350Z that had passed us going about 20 over the FHP radar'd.

I pointed at Radiohowie and said: Look how old that guy is!! If he was going 90 he'd wet himself! :lol: He looked at Radiohowie and made it out for 79. :yahoo:
Oh, you hopless fecker!!! :finger: :****: :finger: :D :rofl: