Speedo Backlight out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, I'm new here ( see the newbie posts for backstory)

My gently used 03 has one annoying quirk, the top third of my tach and the bottom third of my speedo is dark. Is this a burnt bulb or an FJR thing? Searching FJRForum, FJRowners, FJRinfo, and ST.N yielded no answer either way. I've had the 4 black panels off to run my jacket liner wiring, but the removal of the dash and/or the acess to the burnt bulb wasn't readily apparent, so I left it. Tupperware removal is daunting, I'm used to V-twins and dirt bikes. How hard is this to replace, if it is indeed out?

Thanks all!

Thanks. I guess I needed to search using the correct words...On that note

Oh sweet Jesus. :shok: I can live with a dark spot until the other one gives up the ghost. No way I'm going in there unless I really really gotta.

Thanks.

Ok, I lied. I'm far too meticulous (see:anal retentive) to let this go. Need it done before the 'season' starts and the days get long enough for good afterwork rides.

The hyperlink above was a good walkthrough, but how many bulbs are there in the dash, my stealership doesn't know for sure, and bikebandit's schematics aren't clear. I wanna order 'em all and have it done. Anyone know? I assume its 1 per turn sig and maybe 3(?) for the gauges...

Thanks!

Okay, I went here (scroll to the bottom of the page, click on "proceed to parts catalog", enter your information in the appropriate boxes: "motorcycle, '03, FJR1300") and up will pop the catalog search. Under "meter" it seems the dash requires 10 bulbs:

2, number 4YR-83517-10-00 BULBs (12V-2W T5) and

8, number 4WM-83517-10-00 BULBS (T3.4 14V-80MA)

I'm guessing the tach/speedo require the 2 bulbs, indicators require the other 8.

The "official" Yamaha site is your friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I went here (scroll 2, number 4YR-83517-10-00 BULBs (12V-2W T5) and

8, number 4WM-83517-10-00 BULBS (T3.4 14V-80MA)

I'm guessing the tach/speedo require the 2 bulbs, indicators require the other 8.

The "official" Yamaha site is your friend.
I'm thinking it's the 8. I think the 2 you're referring (#5 on the diagram) to are the turn signal indicators.

I've had several occasions where I've been in the nose of the bike working around and when I put things back together one of the lights in the tach/speedo went out temporarily. They ended up coming back on after riding 20 miles or so (which is a rare bonus that something fixes itself), but it's wasn't 1/2 of the display area that went out. It seemed more like about a 1/5 or less of the area was non-illuminated.

For the record....I think changing the bulbs in the cluster probably a 2 hour proposition for the initiated if that's all they were going to do. Probably a 3-4 hour proposition for the average person for the first time. It's a commitment, but educational if you've not been in the nose before and a perfect time if you're also considering the LED Lamp Farkle or HID light upgrade.

I've volunteered to open the nose on mine at TechWest if Warchild wants it. It might be a good demo if a Gen II bike opens their nose up as a side-by-side comparison session. That and see the various nooks and crannies I've been able to stuff ballasts and add on two barrier strips ;)

MW180514b.JPG

This was discussed a couple of times in the past, here is a somewhat informative thread. There is another thread that talks about the dash and bulbs but it's not as helpful.

Once the daytime highs get back above 20F I will probably dig in. I have a whole list of parts to order for a bunch of jobs, I'll add the bulbs to the list. I'm tempted to look into substituting a LED for the bulbs but white LEDs are in the $7/ea range. I can fab a socket and find the correct resistor, it will just be a matter of ensuring the socket doesn't rattle out at some point.

I just went through this, I believe it's 9 of one and 2 of another.(bulbs that is)

Removing the nose is not really that difficult.

Remove the lower fairings

remove the abcd panels

remove the windshield

remove the w bracket and little center fairing piece above w bracket that's behind the windshield

leave the plastic attached around the lights and the 2 pieces that the lowers attach to. Forget trying to remove them, as the fasteners are a real ass pain to access.

unplug the connectors from each of the headlight bulbs

unhook the turn signal wires from the clips on the inside of the fairing

Now only remove the 4 screws that hold the light assembly to the sub frame and carefully remove the whole front end by moving if forward of the bike, this will be 3 fairings and the lights. Be careful when sliding the fairing over the top of the meter housing.

Now the meter assembly can be removed (3 screws?) and accessed to replace the bulbs.