Speedometer replacement......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alrighty. Something interesting has come out of this deal. The amount of error in my new speedometer is not nearly as bad as the old one. At 70mph indicated, I was doing 67 according to the GPS. I watched it for several miles (4-5) and it was pretty consistant. Knowing how far off it was with the other guage still in it (12MPH!!), I am suprised. I guess that is proof that not all of the error, if any, comes from the pick up unit on the output shaft. And it also raises the question as to weather or not the miscalibrated MPG calculator had anything to do with it.

As far as the SpeedoHealer goes, it worked just like I thought it would. I had 4200 miles put on the new Odo by Steve at Electronic Speedo Service. I underestimated the dealer dragging his feet about getting the unit shipped out, so I went over on the milage by 400 miles almost exactly. It took me less then an hour to correct the mileage with the SH. Once it was installed, I put it in test mode and let it go. It was registering one mile every 8 seconds. All I had to do was turn the key on so that the electronics were functional, didn't have to start it. So for any of you that have already had the guage replaced, you can put the mileage back on yourself if want to take the time. And when you get done, you'll have an accurate speedometer also.

How would anybody get a notion on their title?? I have the title for my Bernice in my safety deposit box. I'm certainly not bringing it to the dealership when they swap out my speedo next week. What am I missing?
To be compliant with the law, in Maryland, anyway, the dealership would have to notify the MVA (our mis-spelling of DMV) that they had done the swap. The notation on the title would be electronic, and then on paper, the first time the bike changed hands, and forever after. Likewise, the seller (that would be me) would have to check the box on the paper title I have in my possession that says the odometer mileage does not reflect the true mileage or be guilty of fraud.

This is why I think Yamaha should pick up the $85.00 fee, or do the deed themselves, to set my odo to the correct mileage at the time of the swap. So far, Yamaha's solution to this problem is pure cheese.

It's very common for HD dealers to reset new speedo's to the bikes actual mileage. If that's done, then at least in Texas the bike's mileage remains "original" as far as the title is concerned.

I will not get the MPG bug fixed unless I can get Yamaha to pay to have the new cluster reset with my current mileage. Thanks for the link.

Man I am glad nothing life threatening happens to you guys. This is just a warranty claim that sh** happens to any year model of almost anything made. I guess that why some fight the system and some just go with the flow. And don't talk to me about it didn't happen to me. I dealt with the tick and while not happy with getting one I just had to deal with it and what life brings me. The more you complain the more it eats at you. Hope your heart rate is good.

Man I am glad nothing life threatening happens to you guys. This is just a warranty claim that sh** happens to any year model of almost anything made. I guess that why some fight the system and some just go with the flow. And don't talk to me about it didn't happen to me. I dealt with the tick and while not happy with getting one I just had to deal with it and what life brings me. The more you complain the more it eats at you. Hope your heart rate is good.

Heart rate is good! B)

Um...lighten up Francis.

What would the point of the internet be if we couldn't sweat the small stuff :D

FWIW, I'm jumping for joy that the only issue my '06 has is this little bug in the speedo. I'll be just fine with it even if it never gets fixed.

Having said that, it is a bit frustrating that Yamaha goes 90% of the way by providing a new speedo and then doesn't seal the deal by adding the one tiny additional step of resetting the mileage for the owner.