Spencer Seat Mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did, and it suits my needs. They were super fast, and I used my stepfather's stock FJR seats to hold me over until then.

My gal and I do several 600+ mile days a year and the seat mod helped. I wouldn't say it's night and day difference from the stock seat, just an incremental improvement.

If you are MOSTLY happy with the stock seat, I'd say the Spencer Mod is a great value. If you totally hate the stock seat, you may need to get a full seat replacement.

Thanks for the input. I just ordered an Alaskan Leather Sheepskin Pad. We'll see how that works, and if not...then I'll probably go with this mod.

Just ran across Spencer Motorcycle Seat Mods down in Florida. Was wondering if anyone has had this mod done, and if it was an improvement.
https://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php
I am going to try this mod. I contacted Spencer and this is what he had to say...

For your FJR the typical riders seat modifications are correction of the seats angle to provide a more neutral position with less of a forward slant to the tank, creation of an actual supportive seating "pocket", and a softening of the frontal midline to take pressure off of the crotch. These changes combine to better distribute your weight across the width of the seat rather than concentrating it in the center. Adding the Supracor suspension included in the LD mod is definitely recommended. It will allow a more form fitting shape, provide better weight distribution, reduce vibration in the seat, and dampen road shock. All of the changes are to the internal structure of the seat for a much better feel and support.

He just the front seat for my '06. Way better than stock. I'm no longer sliding forward into the tank and the seat position is about 1" lower as well (which I requested). I've only put about 100 miles on it so far, but so far - so good. Not a bad price either - $70 for the front seat mod.

He just the front seat for my '06. Way better than stock. I'm no longer sliding forward into the tank and the seat position is about 1" lower as well (which I requested). I've only put about 100 miles on it so far, but so far - so good. Not a bad price either - $70 for the front seat mod.

The "sliding forward" to me is the biggest problem with the stock seat. Sounds like $70 well spent.

The "sliding forward" to me is the biggest problem with the stock seat. Sounds like $70 well spent.
That and the throttle spring unwind (which is free) are the most useful mods I've done so far.

I have had mine for about 500 miles (all commuting no trips) I do like that the seat is not as slanted. I cannot comment on the improvement of comfort until I ride it at least 400 miles in one day on it. I dont have a trip planned until July.

It does take a couple of tanks of fuel to break it in. So far I am happy I did it, I can let you know more in July.

Just ran across Spencer Motorcycle Seat Mods down in Florida. Was wondering if anyone has had this mod done, and if it was an improvement.

I had him rework the seat on my Bandit before I got the FJR and his work is top notch. Having read the thread and the comments from Spencer it sounds like I need to send in my FJR seat as well, if I can reduce the forward slide I'd be much happier. The Supracor LD he uses does take some miles to break in but once it conforms to you it's perfect.

If you are basically happy with the stock FJR seat, but unhappy with it's long-distance/long days comfort, then Spencer's seat mod is perfect for you.

If you are a "really big guy" and the basic shape/size/fit/function of the stock seat doesn't suit you in any way, then the Spencer mod is probably a waste of your money. I move around on the seat and want a shape that permits movement. Some people want a bucket to fit their ass into and have it never move.

Here's my testimony for the Spencer seat mod...

I rode 65,000 miles on the stock Gen-II seat, most of that two-up. The GF and I headed out west early last year on a 9,000+ mile trip, doing an average of 500 miles per day, on freshly-modified Spencer seats. By Day-2 we were commenting about how good we felt and worried about when the fatigue and aching knees would kick in. By Day-4 we realized the Spencer seat mod had really worked!

Spencer did both rider and passenger seats with his Supracor LD foam mod. I love it so much that I sent the seats off my recently purchased '06 to him without riding the bike. He understands the major problems with the FJR seat design and addresses them directly. Great value, great product mod, awesome service!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Spencer did what he advertised. It just wasn't enough for me. It didn't get me close to having a bareable ride for 400 miles.

I'm on an '08. I'm 6-1' and weigh 170. I have little ass muscle between my sit bones and the seat. I ended up trading the Spencer to another member and got his stock drivers. I had the stocker refitted/reformed by a local shop and so far it is a huge improvement and at just 2x the spencer cost. Nothing bad about spencer, it just didn't work for me. Others' testimony clearly demonstrates that it is a good mod for the right bod.

Lee

I'm getting the sheepskin tomorrow. I'm hoping that will help some, but doubt that alone will do it. If not, I'm debating between the sheepskin on top of an Airhawk, or on top of a Spencer modded seat. Thanks for all the input, looks like I'll have a little decision making to do.

I'm getting the sheepskin tomorrow. I'm hoping that will help some, but doubt that alone will do it. If not, I'm debating between the sheepskin on top of an Airhawk, or on top of a Spencer modded seat. Thanks for all the input, looks like I'll have a little decision making to do.
I'll be happy to swap seats with you for a couple hour ride, so you can feel the Spencer mod for yourself. You really must try various seats in person to accurately decide.

+1 on the Spencer Mod (w/ Supracor) and the Alaska sheepskin pad.

I'm 6'2" 250 lbs and had it done almost a year ago. $100 (including shipping both ways) well spent.

-1 on the Spencer seat mod for me. Couldn't tell and difference. And after 10,000 miles I still can't. Like Lee B. not much padding on the butt. I cut the seat down myself to level it out and put an Alaskan Sheepskin in it. Now its tolerable. When I had the seat cover off to cut it down I checked out the fine work of Spencer. Not impressed. Might have taken him all of 15 minutes to do the mod. Nothing much to it. Just my HMO.

GP

I'll be happy to swap seats with you for a couple hour ride, so you can feel the Spencer mod for yourself. You really must try various seats in person to accurately decide.
Can I take you up on that offer? Lol. I've gotta test my options before committing cash in one direction or the other. All I know is that we need something...our 330 mile trek back from the camp meet last weekend was akin to torture on the stock seat, lol. Beads helped for about 100 miles, but lost their effectiveness. The wife is balking on laying out $500+ on a Corbin, Sargent, or otherwise despite the experience of Sunday's return trip. IIRC, I'm not too far away from your location.

+1 on the Spencer Mod (w/ Supracor) It was OK but for me it was not a big change. Had both done front & back seat the wife did not notice a big change ether.