spencer seat mods

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilbur-j

Reaction score
I just could not stand the stock seat anymore. It really made me squirm within 15 minutes. My problem mostly is very little padding on my birth seat. My wife and I decided to just get a new Russell seat, but, she being cheap said let's try Spencer for $ 140.00 first and see how it feels. First of all what a nice guy he is and what great service he offers, seat was back within a week. good thing i have a V-Strom to take up the slack. Well the seat looks stock and at first felt not much better. Figuring we just wasted some money. Now for the good news----Since last Thursday we have put several hundred miles on the bike and the seat feels great. I rode for 3 hours on Saturday and did not need to stop . This is saying something. I do recommend this service to anyone who like me is cheap. No kidding it feels great. Perhaps after the summer is over we may still go with a Russell but for now our butts are golden on a Spencer modded seat. thanks wilbur-j

This dude have a web site or other contact information? Give it up.

I also got the "spencer seat mod" done over the winter. Very reasonable compared to getting an aftermarket seat. I can report that the modification is a definite improvement - both for my wife and I. As stated, the guy is great to work with and very quick turnaround time once he gets your seat(s). If you want more comfort seatwise without breaking the bank, the spencer seat mod is definitely worth consideration. I think I spent around $150 total including shipping.

I did it on 1200GS and loved the results of the long distance modification. As long as you aren't expecting Russell seat results, you should be pleased.

Thanks for posting this info. I would like to upgrade the rider's seat and my g/f absolutely HATES the pillion seat, so we may go this route. As an added bonus, I prefer the looks of the stock seat. :)

Cheers,

Joe

I checked out the website, but it's not too obvious what actually gets changed out. The foam material obviously, but also the covering material? And does he maintain the same shape of the original seat or does he reshape it?

SR-71

I checked out the website, but it's not too obvious what actually gets changed out. The foam material obviously, but also the covering material? And does he maintain the same shape of the original seat or does he reshape it?
SR-71
He does not change the seat cover and it looks like stock he simply changes foam and does some seating position mods. If you do this be sure to get the gel for the driver. It isn't the regular gel and man is it nice. It did take a little while to brake in but my wife and i are very satisfied with the money spent. Every person that has had this done is well pleased, or at least i have not heard any negatives. Give it a try. thanks wilbur-j

He did mine and it's a improvement over the stock (even better with a sheepskin cover). He did the one on the ST1300 I had and it was a great improvement on that bike.

Gary

The long distance mod also adds a gel pad in addition to the foam replacement. As mentioned, the stock seat cover is retained.

I get my seat this Thursday!!! I can not wait. I ride up to Dallas every two weeks for work (about a 3 hour short ride) so I am really looking forward to this cost effective seat mod.

Brian Faure

Liberty Hill, Texas

Maybe I should send Spencer my Corbin to see if he could do anything with that plank?

Edit: From the Spencer site: "Do you work on seats that are not stock?: Some yes and some no, I do regularly modify custom seats, and can lower as well as fit most Sargent seats; the only seats that I will not touch are any Corbin or Russell."

Okay, move along then.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend had his new ST1300 done. Both he and his wife saw a nice improvement. I have a Sargent that is also a board and should have it done. He is only 15 miles down the road from me.

I had my rider seat modified by Spencer over the winter and have now ridden about 1000 miles with it. It's better, but not a whole lot.

The price is right and his customer service is excellent.

Edit: From the Spencer site: "Do you work on seats that are not stock?: Some yes and some no, I do regularly modify custom seats, and can lower as well as fit most Sargent seats; the only seats that I will not touch are any Corbin or Russell."
I've actually heard this from a couple of other seat builders. They said they would work on Sargents but most definitely not Corbin or Russell. Funny, neither mentioned Bill Meyer seats.

Cheers,

Joe

Gonna contact him about the seat on my Blackbird. No corbin close made for the bird, and I need something to put me closer to the tank. Stupid short arms....