Spiegler ABS line install...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

The Endless Font of Useless Knowledge...
Reaction score
OK, so I'm the world's worst procrastinator, but I'm finally in the middle of installing the last of my hardware from the Spiegler group buy (already did the brake pads, and ABM rotors), and want a couple of clarifications from folks who've done this...

I've already installed the clutch line... thanks to all the informative stuff posted on the net, it was only a minor pain... old fluid was pretty rank... looks nice and clean now... note to self... purge that sucker a bit more often.

I've started on the brake lines, bled the fronts, got the top line down to the hard line out, and was wondering... is there a washer used on that and the lower connection at the hard lines? My impression is no, but I figured I'd ask. :blink:

I also got speed bleeders, and was noticing that all of the past traffic mentioned that they only function when there's fluid in the line. I started to take off the old bleed valve off the clutch system to install the speed bleeder, and was welcomed by a steady stream of my newly clean hydraulic fluid. So how do you remove the old bleed valves and get the new ones in if it's leaking fluid the whole time? Are you just supposed to get enough terrycloth towels jammed in the area to catch the fluid while you're doing the swap? Or am I missing something???? :eh: Should I empty out the lines, install the speed bleeder, then use my MityVac to suck the air out till the SBs can do their job?

Seems to be going pretty well other than that... as is usually the case. I get all anxious :eek: about tackling projects like this that I've never done (i.e. fork tube springs, replacing rotors, electrical farkles, throttle body sync, etc.), or seen anyone do before, but with the writeups available, once I get into it, it's not all that bad. Fear of the unknown most likely :rolleyes: . And it sure is satisfying to be able to step back from your bike when you're all done, and know that YOU are the one who added this, this, this, this, this, modded that, tweaked those, etc. That and I have always enjoyed working with my hands. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your observation is normal. If the hydraulic system is full and you remove the bleeder valve you will start to see flow out of the system. If it is full already, then just hurry, swap the bleeder valves and mop up the mess.

Are you putting on dual front brake lines or the one-into-two set that replicates the stock setup for the front brakes?

Thanks Jestal... I've got the 1 into 2 that duplicates the existing system with ABS.

Thanks Jestal... I've got the 1 into 2 that duplicates the existing system with ABS.
I put the dual lines on mine and ended up changing the routing entirely so I cannot offer any input on the install you have except to caution you to double check for clearance when everything is installed especially as the suspension moves to full jounce.

Ok,

Pretty much am convinced that there is no washer at the hard connections at the frame... now for further questions for anyone who has the dual manifold setup....

1) When my instructions tell me a line is for the right or left caliper, that's from the perspective you'd have when sitting on the bike, correct? Not facing it. This would mean the bike battery is on the right, and the clutch is on the left.

2) The detailed list said attach 20 degree fitting at manifold (for the left and right front caliper lines), which I understand to mean that of the 2 ends, the one with the 20 degree bend attaches to the manifold, and the straight one goes to the brake caliper.

3) There is a plastic piece located in front of the foks at right about the location of the old manifold hardware, how important is it to keep the new hardware from touching this?

4) Looking at the assembled manifold, going from the front brake to the clutch side, are the connections as follows? Right caliper line, line to hard fitting, manifold housing, Left caliper line?

5) Washers go between the bolt head and the SS line fitting, and the fitting and the manifold housing... how about between the 2 SS lines on the right? Is there a washer between them too?

That's the questions I have for now... anyone feel free to chime in.

3) That small plastic piece is the one that bolts to the bottom of the lower triple clamp? If so, it moves with the lower triple clamp that you are bolting the manifold fitting to so if the brake lines touch it it shouldn't hurt anything. Check to see if the piece you are describing moves with the forks when you turn them. It should.

5) You should put an aluminum washer between the banjo fittings when two are stacked together. Two banjos on a dual bolt will use three washers, one between the bolt head and the banjo, one between the banjos, one between the banjo and the fitting.

Cool Jestal.. that's what I thought...

I just searched the archives here, and found a reply from Fabone (Rick) who did the initial prototyping... and he answered number 4... the proper order from brake side to clutch side is (on the double banjo side) line to the hard fitting, line to the caliper, manifold block, and (on the single banjo side) line to the caliper.

So that leaves questions 1, & 2 for somebody else... and I'm pretty sure about 1 now...

1) I didn't read their instructions but typically it is the bike/car's left and right as in when you are sitting in/on it. Not looking at it from the front.

Ok, I just answered 2 for myself... :D

Rick Conn's writeup Spiegler install shows a picture of the left side line going into the caliper. It's obviously a straight line, therefor the 20 degree ones must be on the upper portion near the manifold.

Brun,

From one dog to another, thanks for reminding me about that thread... It shows me that I connected my lines the same way as you did, and I liked the way you reused the bracket for holding the ABS data line at the manifold...

Also, don't know how much of a difference it makes, but those pictures from Ignacio show his straight fittings attached to the manifold for the right/left caliper lines... I thought the 20 degree fitting went there??? :blink:

Thanks!

Also,...............but those pictures from Ignacio show his straight fittings attached to the manifold for the right/left caliper lines... I thought the 20 degree fitting went there??? blink.gif
Correct....the 20* should be on the top at the manifold.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

The Spiegler install is officially complete! Once I got over my normal case of "installation nerves" and dove into it, it wasn't all that bad. Now I can put a check mark next to the "Install SS brake and Clutch lines" on my farkle checklist. I must say, they look very bling, although I chose the understated smoke lines and black banjos with aluminum fittings. Still and all, after a hundred or so miles this morning under exsquisite weather conditions, I can say the shifting and braking seem to be much smoother.

Whew... think I'll give myself a rest for a while... Only thing on my radar screen at this point is a possible windshield upgrade... and I don't think that will generate much "farkle fear"....

Also,...............but those pictures from Ignacio show his straight fittings attached to the manifold for the right/left caliper lines... I thought the 20 degree fitting went there??? blink.gif
Correct....the 20* should be on the top at the manifold.
I think its needed for clearance when the handlebars are locked to the right.