Sportster vs. FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort of like comparing a biplane to an F-15.

I have an AE have no regrets about not having a clutch and have no issues at low speed. The system is most beneficial for urban, commuting type riding and much of that includes slow speed maneuvers. You simply learn to be gentle with the throttle and I also find my self dragging the rear brake sometimes. It also helps to work some maneuvers in 2nd gear as opposed to 1st & let the onboard computer feather the clutch for you. Anyway, after you learn how to manipulate the system, you do so without any thought.

Just go ride the bike and report back

This has got to be the dumbest thread I've seen all year.... :blink:

Congrats DF....some seriously rarified territory. :clapping:

Excuse me while I think about going to start a thread asking for comparisons of the FJR to a Vespa. :assassin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on JB....you can do better then that.
Hey, it was late and I was wearing my cranky pants....

All right, I DO have a Sporty in my garage. It's for sale (if I ever get around to posting it....). It's for sale because after commuting on it for three years on Bay Area freeways to the tune of 47,000 miles, after riding the FJR, I don't feel safe on it anymore. In fact I wonder how I ever got out there in traffic in the first place. It doesn't accelerate, brake, or swerve the way the FJR does. So on freeways and even local streets I feel like an ant on the sidewalk riding that thing, at the mercy of SUVs and just hoping they don't go right over the top of me.

I love the Sporty because it was my first bike and because it looks and sounds cool. But the FJR gives me an ability to maneuver in traffic like--to quote myself--a three-dimensional creature in a two-dimensional world. Once you experience that world, there's no going back to being a two- (or one- ) dimensional creature.

Jb

Excuse me while I think about going to start a thread asking for comparisons of the FJR to a Vespa. :assassin:

Wow. Sorry. I didn't realize there was an acceptable level of knowledge required before asking a question. Now that you've set me straight, I realize that I should have just realized that the FJR was super-fantastic at everything, and kept quiet.

Every forum has it's own personality, so before proceeding and further, is this the usual response I can expect when I ask questions? I merely ask for my own information.

Really, this isn't a dumb question at all. He's not asking to campare the two as much as he is looking to see what to expect when he moves up to an FJR. Seems like there are a few folks here who did pretty much the same.

I'll just add that the throttle issue mentioned earlier is not an issue on the 08 GenII bikes. Yamaha put the throttle cam back to the way it was on the GenI bikes for the 08. The 06 and 07 are the only ones with "twitchy" throttle. At least thats what I've been reading here. The easy fix for the 06 and 07s is the G2 throttle cam that goes under the throttle grip. Easy to do, but still is an extra expense.

SR- 71 if i ever sell the kawasaki h2 i will post it on here first but from va to northern maine is about 1700 miles so that reallly addes into the cost but thanks for showing the interest

Hey Dale,

Lots of sharp toungs here but you get the real deal info.

These guys have saved me some trial and error, pain and money.

Just dive in and enjoy.

Wow. Sorry. I didn't realize there was an acceptable level of knowledge required before asking a question.
There isn't a requirement. But, there is guideline #6. And I'm calling them like I see 'em.

You're free to ask and say the stupidest things in the world and ignore my opinion. Just don't expect folks to pull punches and get dogpiled occasionally.

Welcome to the board. ;)

Damn Iggy!

Your such a meany! :lol:

Dale, Welcome to the board! Escondido Native here.

When all the joking is done, You will find this place to be an abundance of great information, And no shortage of sarcastic witty people just to give this place some flair!

Find a member who lives near you and possibly Get a test ride! But be WARNED! The FJR aint no Harley! This baby has the heart and soul of a fire breathing sportbike, And very well mannered unless you flog the crap out of it! :yahoo:

Adam

Wow. Sorry. I didn't realize there was an acceptable level of knowledge required before asking a question. Now that you've set me straight, I realize that I should have just realized that the FJR was super-fantastic at everything, and kept quiet.

Every forum has it's own personality, so before proceeding and further, is this the usual response I can expect when I ask questions? I merely ask for my own information.
Hi, Dale. I kinda started it with my "Is this a joke?" comment. Sorry. I have a Sporty as I said above, and the variance in performance is so broad (I like to say I went from a '60s muscle car to an '08 Porsche Carrera), that I guess I couldn't even understand the question.

Hey, my first time on the forum I got so freakin' dog-piled that I took my ego and went home for a few months. But then I realized that the Forum was losing the benefit of my mechanical expertise (I can strip an FJR in 3 minutes using just a toothpick), stinging wit, deep philosophical insights, and incomprehensible ride reports that I had to come back in and participate in spite of their inability to fathom my genius. But I do it for them because that's the kind of guy I am.

Remember, when you don't like somebody's response, the correct posting is "Bite me," or sentiments to that effect.

Jb

Click on Dale's blog - the guy is serious about comparing bikes.

Dale - Best wishes on whatever new bike you choose. I believe in the FJR for the most bang for the buck with great performance, reliability and comfort plus cool upgrades. You won't be alone when you are needing advise or help here, but you will get dog-piled once in awhile - we all do.

Good luck how ever you go.

Bruce

Dale, don't let a hand full of dollars to stop you from owning that black beauty. :) There are ways for creative financing :) Nice blog.

I would have no fear buying a used model FJR off of most anybody here. Get references. If you get 5k from your Sportsteer you can finance another 5k and get a low milage 06 in mint condition. Or you can get an '04 or '05 for maybe 7k to 8k nicely farkled that is practically the same except for a few minor changes.

Do some research here as it has all been discussed before. And the '03s are going for about 6k to 6.5k and they kick ass too!

It is still a buyers market, so there is no need to wait.

Hijack

I had an H2 when they were new - it was fun at the time, but I would never go back.

I had the chambers and everything, but never could get it off the line worth a damn.

I am lucky to be alive after owning that beast. Rode it on a 185 mile trip and shook for 2 days afterwards. No mas.

kaw_72_h2_broc.jpg

Edit:

I believe that it was the first duck tail - a big innovation at the time. HD later did that on the '76 which flopped as too radical.

I also had a windjammer on it at first so I could get the full noise effect. ;)

Hey, my first time on the forum I got so freakin' dog-piled that I took my ego and went home for a few months. But then I realized that the Forum was losing the benefit of my mechanical expertise (I can strip an FJR in 3 minutes using just a toothpick), stinging wit, deep philosophical insights, and incomprehensible ride reports that I had to come back in and participate in spite of their inability to fathom my genius. But I do it for them because that's the kind of guy I am.
Jb
The women want him & the men want to be like him. Or did I get that backwards? Whatever :) .

dstray - If you ever decide to sell your Kawasaki H2, please let me know.
SR-71
Had a brand new 73 Kaw 750 and was it ever scary at times. Well deserving of its nickname as the "Widowmaker". Correction, it was scary all the time. Did 2 -2500 miles trips on it (which shook my fillings out, and permanently damaged my hearing) and tons of day rides.

Comparing those two are like comparing a one legged, one eye whore to a super model who know how to make thing right :)
Isn't this a recent quote by Paul McCartney?

:lol:

Dale, your question was legit inasmuch as you've only ever ridden a Sporty. I've never ridden one, so I can't draw a comparison for you, but I can assume it's apples to oranges when it comes to power, ride and handling.

Oh, and don't mind Iggy as he really means well and is a pretty good guy (despite having a penchant for wearing ladies underwear and singing Ethel Merman tunes at Magnolia's in St. Louis once or twice a year). ;)

I'll bite. I've ridden Jap Rockets in the 70s,80s,early 90s and decided to mellow out with a Harley. I have a 2007 Sportster Custom XL1200-C with a big bore kit. NOS not yet installed. Have -100HP at RW. Also have a 2004 FJR1300AS with roughly 125HP at RW.

Both bikes feel top heavy but Sportster is easier to control because of low seat height. Sporty weighs a bit more as well. Sporty loves to corner, however it drags evrything real quick. FJR drags the pegs pretty quick, but at much steeper angle. I feel safer with the Sporty at slow turn speeds as the FJR feels heavier on top to me. I love all my bikes. Have a 2008 Husqvarna 510SMR SuperMoto and a Honda CRF230 dirt bike. Each has its own use. The FJR is more fun overall than the Sporty and is much quicker at the moment. (The NOS should change that!) I got the FJR for longer (10hr) cruises, but wanted something with some balls. The Harley? hey it's a Harley! Don't need to say anymore than that. Sounds hot, runs damn good, fairly comfortable for a few hours. Each bike gets a ride at least once-twice a week. If I could do it again with the FJR (which I probably will in a couple years) I'd get a new one. If you have to choose,,,FJR. If you can have both,,,why not? And for all those that don't like Harleys,, GFY

I notice that several of you appear to have Sportsters in your garage as well as an FJR. I'm curious about some comparisons in handling.
At low speed, the Sporty feels like it wants to fall. It doesn't actually do it, but I get the feeling that it would be happier lying on it's side. I guess it feels like the balance is a bit precarious. What does the FJR feel like in comparison?

In contrast, at street speed, when making a turn at a light, the Sporty feels like it would rather stay upright. It seems worse when turning left than turning right, but it seems like it just wants to lean so far, then...not. That may be a function of the speed differential between a left and right turn.

I don't have any complaints about its handling in curves or sweepers, its OK as far as a cruiser goes. But it seems like it has a weird, split personality in how it handles from 0-15 MPH, and 15-30 MPH.

I guess, basically, it seems to me that the Sporty is a bit twitchy at lower speeds, and seems...unbalanced. It's kind of hard to explain.

So, how about the FJR? How would those of you with Sportsters compare the balance/speed/cornering dynamics at slow speeds to the FJR? Are the ride sensations at all similar?

Finally, for the AE-model guys, how do you actually maintain control at low speed without a clutch? I use the friction point of the clutch and a bit of trail braking. Some of the reviews of the AE models indicate that coordinating the electronic clutch's friction point, trail braking, and throttle is a bit of trouble. What do you guys think?

One more thing: Several threads here indicate the FJR is top-heavy, and is a bit of a handfull at low speed. Am I wrong in thinking the Sporty is much more top-heavy than the FJR?