SPOT Tracker Alternative?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I've been thinking about replacing my lost Spot Tracker (the "1" model) for a while. BUT--I've seen some discussion about other ways to go for the functions that the SPOT offers. To me the main benefit of the SPOT is that it works everywhere, at least everywhere you can see the sky. I'd be concerned that the options that rely on your phone service would only work when you have a phone signal (and with ATT, at least, that's damn limited).

Any ideas on comparing the cost and service between Spot and cell-based tracking? And other than the more compact size, is the "2" model much of an improvement over the original? Thanks.

I have a cell-based tracker in my car from Blackline - service is $180 a year and it works well enough.

Last year I stuck it under the seat on the bike and rode from Montreal down through the BRP and such - here's a pic of the coverage, based on one report every 10 minutes compared with what the navigator delivered - the missing points (noting that the reporting intervals account for the regularly spaced reports on the cellular capture) tell you where coverage is lacking and can serve as a guide:

You can click the images to view them in their original sizes

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

Nothing short of a PLB is going to do what you want it to do when you get up in the mtns.

Spot is the cheapest for actual SAT tracking service. If you just want something to use in case of a real emergency, then a PLB might do the trick. But if you want to track routes and be able to have someone check your progress, SPOT is it.

I was using www.instamapper.com and it did a good job for a freeby service. You can set it to leave a track and update the track every 10 seconds or 30 minutes or whatever in-between. Will eat the battery on your phone. I was using it on my crackberry but now have a new phone. Haven't installed on the new phone because I decided to get a SPOT mainly because it works off the satelite and not dependant on the cell service. Been riding in the Colorado mountains a lot the last year and no cell phone, regardless of which service, works very good up there!!!

Reble

Mike,

I've been looking myself. If you want to call for help some of the 406 MHz personal ELT devices are much more reliable. My family tracking me on road and hiking trips for years. It's worked well for me, but I know that in an emergency it may fail. It doesn't take much cover to kill the transmissions. I periodically think about getting a Spot II, but I get put off by negative user reviews. There were early problems with the device and it's tough to find positive stories about customer support.

For now I'm sticking with my old Spot. I'll be using it in a few months to track my trip in the Indian Himalayas :rolleyes:

George

Jason Jonas just did a great article on location management in the latest Iron Butt magazine. He summarizes as:

SPOT 2 Advantages:

• Improved GPS chipset that allows device to acquire current location data quicker and more effectively.
  • Stronger transmit signal improves chances of transmission through canopied areas.
  • Each transmission attempt includes up to the three last locations.
  • It can send OK, Help, and Custom messages while in SPOTTracking mode.
  • Each message type has its own button. Help and 911 button have protective covers.

SPOT 1 Advantages:

• Lower cost of entry
  • Longer battery life
  • Reliability
  • Bigger, friendlier buttons
I've had one set of lithium batteries last over 20 full days of use and sticking with my SPOT 1 personally.

I think it depends on why you're using it and where you're going. When I did CCC100, or any long ride like that I've done, I've just used Google Lattitude, and it worked fine for wife/family to check my progress. But if going off the beaten track, especially hiking or into remote areas it would be pretty useless for that.

Has anyone with a Spot 2 used a non lithium battery? If so, how did it do? I know a regular battery might not last as long, but does anyone know why it would not work?

I used my SPOT 2 on both my Mexico and Iceland motorcycle trips and other than the fact that the lazy thing won't turn itself on when I forget I was very happy with the tracking provided. I had the original SPOT before and was not all that happy with the weak signal issues which is why I upgraded to the SPOT 2.

I have always used the 8X Lithium batteries so I cannot answer your other question. The new SPOT Connect seems interesting though and by using the 'AA' batteries over the 'AAA' used in the SPOT 2, the Connect model may offer better battery life.

I did find with the SPOT 2 that you can run for 2 weeks of daytime running on one set of batteries with the SPOT 2 in tracking mode making sure to turn the unit off when I came to my destination at the end of each day.

It has been more like 10-12 days (10-12 hours ea) of running in SPOT 2 tracking mode with 1 OK message each at the start and end of the day and intermittent custom messages in between for me.

I keep the SPOT 2 on my arm, so it is not directly facing the sky, but is slanted at an angle - maybe that affects transmission and resultant battery life?

It has been more like 10-12 days (10-12 hours ea) of running in SPOT 2 tracking mode with 1 OK message each at the start and end of the day and intermittent custom messages in between for me.

I keep the SPOT 2 on my arm, so it is not directly facing the sky, but is slanted at an angle - maybe that affects transmission and resultant battery life?
I have the RAM mount for my SPOT 2 so my unit is usually directly facing the sky when in the optimal rubber side down mode. This mode is not always the case when I'm in the dirt.

There are two levels of Lithium batteries, a 7X and the recommended 8X. It does make a difference in shorter battery life if using the lower capacity batteries. Also if the unit does not directly face the sky it may consume more battery power sending out extra signals in an attempt to connect to the satellies.

Having said that I thinking 2 weeks is about the best one can hope for with the SPOT 2.

I've had my Spot 1 for about 2 years now. I've changed the batteries (the originals) once. I always carry a back up set just in case, but I've EASILY got at least 4 weeks of travel time on a single set of batteries. Hell, last Sept we circled the continent over 3 weeks and those were the same batteries I've had in all summer (NC, QC, NB, NS, VT, NH, SS1600, + the 3 week trip!)

Always in tracking mode.

Which my smartphone had that kind of battery life!