Spot tracker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
For those of you that have a spot I was wondering about tracking options. With the basic service do you still get tracking, but yuu have to hit the tracking button periodically? When you pay the additional tracking it is automatic? I have read through a plethora of post on spot, but nothing specific about this.

For those of you that have a spot I was wondering about tracking options. With the basic service do you still get tracking, but yuu have to hit the tracking button periodically? When you pay the additional tracking it is automatic? I have read through a plethora of post on spot, but nothing specific about this.

Hi Bob

Yes and yes

To add I also use

https://spotwalla.com/

Automatic tracking is an extra service - $50 a year, IIRC.

With the basic service, the closest thing to tracking is you have to hit the "OK" button. You will only be 'tracked' when you hit the OK button - nothing automatic.

When you have purchased automatic tracking, once you power up your SPOT, you hit the little footprint button and you are being tracked.

Hope this helps.

And you're a loser for not coming to Caldwell this weekend.

Thanks Tom and Andy. The cards didn't line up for this weekend, but I will be spotting for the Breaks campout. I am thinking I am going to just pay the extra fifty and be done with it.

Regarding the second yes, with the paid automatic tracking option, it registers a hit every 10 minutes (unless you're in a steep canyon without a clear view of the sky). Auto tracking is worth it in my opinion as I originally went with the manual tracking option and it's not smart or prudent to try and hit the "I'm ok/Check In" button while riding. The automatic option allows you to just ride and the reports will keep whomever is watching you informed of your progress and any route changes without you having to do a thing.

I am thinking I am going to just pay the extra fifty and be done with it.
Very good decision. The auto tracking function is well worth it as I have never been able to be consistent at manually sending a signal, nor do I need one more thing of which to keep track...

which model of spot works best while riding
There is no comparison between the Original SPOT & the SPOT2. I had both and the original SPOT failed to provide a reliable signal on many occasions. The newer SPOT with the updated chipset does a much better job (stronger transmitter or better antenna). Some folks like the newest version since you can further customize messages using a smartphone but for riding the SPOT2 works fine.

I used the auto track while on a two and a half month trip around Canada and the US! Worked very well but it eats expensive batteries in that configuration? I turned it off when reaching the end of each days ride, and had to replace the batteries about every 15 days or so? Having family and friends watch via Spot Walla made the expense worth it!

I used the auto track while on a two and a half month trip around Canada and the US! Worked very well but it eats expensive batteries in that configuration? I turned it off when reaching the end of each days ride, and had to replace the batteries about every 15 days or so? Having family and friends watch via Spot Walla made the expense worth it!
jmgriff, are you using SPOT or SPOT2? I have read elsewhere that the original SPOT does not use batteries as quickly. I have a new SPOT2 that I plan to use this season and I want to be prepared with batteries.

Latest posts