Spot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its just rain

Reaction score
For the last couple of years my wife and friends have appreciated being able to track me on my wanderings. While the Spot service is flawless, I was a bit disappointed when I received an email from them yesterday announcing their new maintenance fee and an increase in the annual fee.

When I called Spot they explained the need to update the network hence the maintenance fee. He also went over the new upgrades to the basic service.

We then talked some more about the dollar amount of the increase. I can say that if you got this same notice it's worth your time to call and ask what they will do to ease the pain! Smile as your are talking, it will help your case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or tell them you plan to cancel - they will do a lot to keep your business. I was going to move to DeLorme last year - probably still will this year.

Spot is way behind in hardware and flexibility, IMO.

I love the flashy lights of my Spot, as they resemble those of an aircraft at night. After stopping to help two different seriously injured folks last year, both in zero cell coverage, I decided I wanted flashy lights on my dash. When I received the gen 3 spot, I was surprised at how small and light it was. Since I have received no notice of changes, I'll assume my subscription was recent enough to have included increases. My subscription is more for peace of mind than anything.

I haven't had anything from Spot either. Yet. As I recall, they automatically renew (at least if the card you have on record with them has not expired) once a calendar year depending on when you started with them--so I think my renewal time is later in the spring. I will be very annoyed if there's a significant price jump. Guess I'll wait to see if there is, and how much, before I decide what to do.

The peace of mind is good, though, and all the other options have their own drawbacks.

I did not receive a notice of the increase, but it did appear on my auto renewal. The increase is a separate line item on the billing invoice and can be view by logging to your account. It is a Network Maintenance Fee of $14.99.

If you want to cancel you have to inform them in writing 30 days before renewal. When they send the invoice, it is too late; you already bought another year. It's a nasty process, which is why I was going to cancel last year.