Stalling & Rough Running

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old Pilot

Reaction score
Yesterday I took a nice ride through Mark Twain Nat'l Forest.

The access road to a small lake had water flowing over it, maybe an inch or two deep. I rode through it at a walking pace. No big splashes or spray.

I stopped a minute later to take in the view. Engine running, in gear, clutch fully disengaged. The engine sputtered and quit. Started it up with no prob but it quit again at idle. Next start I kept up some revs to keep it running but it was missing. Rode through the water on the way out and for the next 20+ miles the engine was sputtering and throttle control was very abrupt.

Like I said, I went through the water very slowly and did not cause splashing. So, what got wet?

Yesterday I took a nice ride through Mark Twain Nat'l Forest.
The access road to a small lake had water flowing over it, maybe an inch or two deep. I rode through it at a walking pace. No big splashes or spray.

I stopped a minute later to take in the view. Engine running, in gear, clutch fully disengaged. The engine sputtered and quit. Started it up with no prob but it quit again at idle. Next start I kept up some revs to keep it running but it was missing. Rode through the water on the way out and for the next 20+ miles the engine was sputtering and throttle control was very abrupt.

Like I said, I went through the water very slowly and did not cause splashing. So, what got wet?

That shouldn't have mattered much. It wouldn't be any different than riding through a typical rain storm. The front fairing panel should have deflected most of the spray!

Possibly...water in the O2 sensor where it plugs into the exhaust collector.

It should be warm enough down there that it would evaporate but that's the only thing that low that might affect the ECU/ignition.

The other idea would be that the rear wheel kicked some water up that got into the horn for the air filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the water was the cause.

Went for a short ride in the rain to see if the same thing would happen. It did not. The bike ran fine.

Today though I went on a longer ride (no water encounters) and about 2hrs into it the engine was running rough and erratically. It did not stall but there was a bunch of bucking and hesitant and then very abrupt throttle responses.

I think the next thing I will do is check the ECU connector as described here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=22734

Crank it up on the center stand. Lock the throttle for about 3,000 RPM. Using a firm-flowing garden hose, wet her down around the side stand, O2 sensor etc., and see if you can locate the trouble area.

Crank it up on the center stand. Lock the throttle for about 3,000 RPM. Using a firm-flowing garden hose, wet her down around the side stand, O2 sensor etc., and see if you can locate the trouble area.

How many miles on your bike?Might be the TPS. When I had an 04 it experienced some of the same symptoms.

I would also check the ground spiders and electrical plugs for corrosion.
It's got 55k on it. Will have a look at all the above.

The kick stand safety switch is the closest thing to any water down low. It can be cleaned and is very simple once its removed.

I found it easier to remove the entire bracket that holds the kickstand, remove the switch, then clean it/contacts too right there without un- plugging. Just with the age of the bike, the contacts can become dirty. There's one small spring, very simple set up. Use di-lectric grease when re-assembling...

If the computer thinks the kickstand is down will of course, cause problems.

I would check/clean/lube with di-lectric grease the main connector as noted above. It will collect water over time, corrode and cause problems.

You can check the TPS function thru the dash using the throttle as well. There's many threads on it..

Good luck

Well, I cleaned the kickstand this morning & went for a ride. No joy. The behavior seems to really get bad after an hour + of riding.

Contacted a Yamaha dealer and determined the TPS recall was not done on my bike. They are ordering the TPS so maybe next week I'll have it swapped out. Sure hope that's the ticket. Meanwhile I'll check more electrical connections.

I've had no contact with a dealership since buying the FJR and called 2 dealers today. One told me I may have to leave the bike with them for up to a week, as they do not schedule appointments. The 2nd one I called does work by appointment only so it should take only a few hours of my time and the service manager sounded like he knew what he was talking about. They are each about 50 miles away, so the 2nd dealer has got my business at this point.

The TPS recall is done! Thanks for all the suggestions. I believe the TPS was the culprit. The 75 miles I did after leaving the dealership were trouble free and the throttle seems more responsive. No problems at idle or at low revs.

The dealership was great to work with. I had a set appointment time, arrived there about 20 minutes early, and within 10 minutes of my arrival the FJR was in the mechanic's bay.

There was an incident at the dealership; I'll make a separate post on that.

Latest posts