Starcom Advance & BTM-02 Performance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeroen_decker

Reaction score
I am having some challenges with my Starcom1 products. Let me start with describing the issues:

People I talk with over the phone tell me that calls sound muffled and that I am hard to hear. I can hear people when dialing into a conference bridge in my car fine but not on the bike. They cut in and out.

The to BTM-02 auto answer functionality is sporadic. I hear the 3 chime announcement, the music is suppressed indicating the call was answered but there is no one on the line. The caller hears dead air as well. It does work 1 our of 3 times and seems random. I had a call answer at 0mph and at 70mph.

When listening to music the music cuts out at times. This seems random. I have moved the BTM-02 unit from the back of the bike to right under me under the seat which seem to have improved this issue however it still happens 2-3 times during a 60 min ride.

I have wired the Advance1 to the license plate light and get good voltage (11.9V when the bike is not running and around 13V when the bike is running). I have spliced in the BTM-02 red wire into this lead to the Advance1 unit so this should be the same.

I have also deleted the pair profile and re-paired a number of times. I am using a T-Mobile myTouch 4G 2.3 Android phone.

The intercom works fine so I don't think there are issues with my headset and mic.

I spent quite bit of time rewiring the unit on the bike. At this point I am wondering if I should invest in a different unit but want to give this one more push given I am about $800 into it (Advance1, BTM-01, BTM-02, helmet speakers and mic, etc.)

Thanks for your help.

I have the bluetooth unit and frankly, the sound quality never worked very well while riding. Too much wind noise. I have a new Win7 phone and will try to resynch it, but I don't expect the sound quality to change. Wife says the sound was very muffled, noisy.

Sound quality is a bit better with the FMRS radio, and the intercom works fine, so I am sure if the unit or the phone is at fault.

I have the BTM-02 and I have noticed that it cuts out sometimes while listening to music, I just think its normal interference. I have talked to people through it with my iPhone. Are you using the Y cable or the single cable???

I have the Advance1 which requires the Y cable. Interestingly when I have the phone in my pant pocket there is no interference. I do have interference when the phone is in jacket pocket.