StarCom Location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaster

Reaction score
Just received the Starcom Advanced from Sportbike Effects. (Outstanding supplier). Where's the best place to put the unit on my AE. I wanted to put it directly under the driver's seat, but I'm concerned about it being too close to the bikes black box. Can any AE owners tell me the do's and don'ts of locating the unit?

Just received the Starcom Advanced from Sportbike Effects. (Outstanding supplier). Where's the best place to put the unit on my AE. I wanted to put it directly under the driver's seat, but I'm concerned about it being too close to the bikes black box. Can any AE owners tell me the do's and don'ts of locating the unit?
Not an AE owner, but, it's under the seat and it works perfectly.

I am not an AE owner either, but it is perfect under the drivers seat. You dont usually move that seat around too much so it is perfect for me.

No problems ever reported mounting it under the seat. Mine is just aft of the fuel tank and forward of the tool tray. It is close to my Power Commander but has never caused any problems in that location.

Thanks for shopping at Sportbike Effects!

Well, I had it in two places before settling for under the pillion seat.

I quick installed it under drivers seat on the way home from Daytona after buying it there.

worked fine.

I then decided it need to be in a tank bag big pain always feeling i needed to remove the tank bag and lock it in the top case, losing room for jacket etc.

So I agree with any of the under seat positions, currently, i have my star com, phone and music under the pillon seat.

pcIII, junction box and heated gear module under rider seat.

so I only need to get to the phone when parking and it is not that much difference under the rider or pillon seat,

but either is okay....

How about connector locations?

Where are folks plugging into the Starcom?

I have the passenger plug poking out under the seat; with the little rubber docking thingy attached to the side panel.

The driver's plug I extended out the front of the seat up the tank, under and into the tank bag.

So I plug in over the tank the the passenger into the left side of the seat.

I installed mine under the pillion seat where the 2 small rubber straps are located. The passenger cord I keep coiled up under the seat until needed. I bought a 2' corded bulkhead fitting from BikeEffects to plug my headset into and installed it on the small vertical section of the left side fairing directly below the A panel....Extremely handy position to plug into and easy to get on and off the bike while still attached.

hsex-04-05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep mine in the tank bag. I also have a KTM Adventure 950 so it makes it easier to swap the Starcom, Ipod, and Radar detector from bike to bike. I cut a small hole in the front of the tank bags where the power leads go out to the acc. The cord to the helmets I have coming out of the zipper. Works great for me.

I keep mine in the tank bag. I also have a KTM Adventure 950 so it makes it easier to swap the Starcom, Ipod, and Radar detector from bike to bike. I cut a small hole in the front of the tank bags where the power leads go out to the acc. The cord to the helmets I have coming out of the zipper. Works great for me.
This is how I installed my autocom system.

https://goldwingusa.com/fjr/electronics.htm