Starcom1 Wire3 BT Helmet headset adapter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BTM-02 is the opposite function to the Wire3.
Ah.

Scratch that idea.

I think I've read enough here to keep me wired.
I had an in-depth discussion aboot going the BT route with Rayzerman at one of the previous Tech Days. I was aboot ready to pull the trigger on BT headsets for me and Sooze but after hearing aboot Fred's 'sperience with that Wire3 thing, I am much less motivated all of a sudden. I have no problem with my Starcom Advance. Basically all I wanna do is ditch the cords - it's a PITA when either Sooze or I come unplugged while we're underway - and it'd be nice to be able to sync up with other BT-enabled folks when out on a ride.

Thanks for the write up Fred. You're right, the Sena is the cat's meow. I previously ran the Autocomm system on my first FJR, and managed to wear out the audio jacks. I went with the Sena (at the time, it was the only one that had a mount for use with earbuds), and haven't looked back. I just bumped up to the current gen receiver and SR10 module (I went with a Garmin Montana, and will also have my ham radio running through it; this is on the Tenere). Best bang for the buck I've spent on comms.

I was very interested in the Wire3 until reading this thread. But unfortunately I didn't read it until AFTER I had installed a Sena in my helmet. I love the Sena but still wanted to keep a couple of functions of the Starcom. To do this I was going to have to get the Wire3. I was discouraged after I read this, but I bit the bullet and bought it anyway. Here is my take on it so far...

I have a Starcom Digital and a Shoei GT Air with the Sena 10U in it. 99% of my riding is solo, so usually I will pair my iPhone straight to the Sena. I only dropped the cash for 1 BT headset since I mostly ride solo. On the occasion I ride with a pillion it's nice to be able to chat with them and since I only have 1 Sena this is where the Starcom comes in. But... I can hear you thinking that a cheaper Sena is about as much or a little cheaper than the Wire3. You would be correct. But, I also occasionally ride with my dad who has a Goldwing with a CB. I too have a hand held CB I hook to the Starcom to talk bike to bike with him. So, now with the Wire3 I can do both. My Sena can pair with multiple devices at once so I will continue to pair my phone to the Sena for music, GPS, phone calls, etc. Since the Starcom intercom and the CB radio are MONO anyway I don't really care that the Wire3 can't do a stereo connection (yeah it kinda sucks that this technology can't handle this but...). I am just past the install and have just tested it out and so far it works just perfect for MY application. I have not done a road test but just sitting in the garage it works just as it should. I see no reason it would work any different moving down the road. If something changes and it does not work right I will report back.