Stealer let me test ride!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There would have been 0% chance I would have bought my bike without a test drive. They let me ride it 1-up and then 2-up with the wife. I bought it that night.

Man, where in So Cal did they let you test ride a bike ???
Mission Motorsports in Irvine, CA just off Bake and the 5 freeway. It is a 2-story building of motorcycles and I am sure Jeff would be happy to help you. Jeff is the sales manager there and tell him Trent sent you. I have been happy with the quality of service and the purchase as a whole.

I am taking a ride on the new 08 Kawasaki Concours tomorrow morning and can't wait to hit Ortega Hwy to check it out! Kawasaki has me signing a waiver but who cares...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, if people would stop crashing bikes on test rides, dealers wouldn't be so shy about letting people take test rides.
Lets face it, if you walked in and said you were interested in a bike for your next track bike, do you really think they were going to let you ride it? Can you say hooligan? :rolleyes:

All of you guys that whine about not being able to test ride need to understand that all you had to do was ask on a forum or list and someone will probably tell you to show up at their place on a bike with your gear and they would consider letting you ride theirs. I've let several people ride my '04, including when it was still new enough that I didn't have plates yet. That said, you show up with a couple of friends on R-1s, wearing flip flops and a wifebeater and you can kiss my ass if you think you're getting a ride on my bike. :glare: The burden is still on you to at least appear that you're a responsible person with a clue.
I'm not a hooligan or a squid and didn't tell the sales puke I wanted a bike for track days.

Would you buy a used motorcycle without being able to ride it first? Not me!

I'm not a hooligan or a squid and didn't tell the sales puke I wanted a bike for track days.
Didn't say you did. Smart move on your part though.

Would you buy a used motorcycle without being able to ride it first? Not me!
Would and have. More than once. Not been a problem for me. I know what I like.

When a ride is available, I'm not shy about taking advantage of it, but that's not going to make or break my decision on a bike. By the time I'm looking seriously at one, I already know more than the sales puke usually does anyway.

[ Bikers want brand new 0 mile bikes when they get them. You go buy a car and 200 miles is not even looked at. It is just an interesting thing to me. What are you feelings?

This guy sort of made the point I was thinking.

So let me add: With all the anal-retentiveness regarding new bike break-in that swirls around this forum occasionally, let me consider the other side of the coin. Who here would consider buying a new FJR [and paying a "new" price] that had 100 or so test drive miles? No way of knowing who did what to it, and that first 100 miles is crucial for the buyer's peace of mind, and possibly for the well being of the bike, too.

I wouldn't. I want my new bike to have zero+mandatory dealer mechanic who assembled it test miles only. My bike had 8 miles on it when I bought it and I was fine with that.

Was # 49 PDP in March 02. After seeing an article in a European magazine, I knew I wanted the FJR sight unseen with no test ride. Then they brought them to America. Never looked back and the best all around bike I have ever ridden in the last 40 years. Not all that much different than the early FJ's just way better technology. Any way if you don't like em sell or trade on anew one. I have had 10 new bikes in the last 11 years and just enjoy riding and farkling.

I just have a question, even when people test ride a bike and buy it they still whine about something. Same with cars, people test drive crappy cars and still buy them. What gives with that?

I was sitting on one in the showroom-- salesman approaches-I tell him this will be my next bike. Also tell him Ive been riding for 30 yrs on cruisers, but never ridden a "Sport" bike. Too my astonishment he says--" want to test ride it?" How often does anyone get to test ride one? I get the impression its really rare? Am I right?

Well anyway, after I found my voice, I says "yeah sure."

Had a blast. For me coming off cruisers (Vtx 1800 and 1200 Sporster) it was Scary fast. Had no prob. w/the Shifting the AE, but still think Id perfer clutch. Seating sucked for me-- definitely need risers.
My take away on the test ride question is: Just ask! After reading this forum (before buying the bike), I got the impression that a test ride on a new FJR would be near impossible. I started shopping over the phone for the bike and this is the conversation I had (again over the phone) with the dealer that I bought the bike from:

Me: I am looking to buy an FJR this weekend.

Dealer: Great, I have 2 in the crate and one on the floor.

<price negotiation>

Dealer: So when did you ride the bike?

Me: Uhh, I haven't ridden one.

Dealer: You didn't test ride it?

Me: No, do you allow test rides?

Dealer: Of course, come on down and take it out.

I went to the dealer and took it out without any commitment to buy. It had a 1/4 tank of fuel and the salesperson asked if I wanted more gas! I rode the bike, came back and told him to assemble one for me and I would be back on the weekend to buy it.

So, it never hurts to ask.

SS

I was allowed to test ride mine, and that was the reason I bought it there, even when I could have saved a few bucks somewhere else.

Having said that, the FJR is not really a sport bike; at least not in the R1 league. No punk is going to ask to test ride an FJR; it's mostly mature individuals.

I didn't ask to test ride an R1 as well , but it'd have been interesting to find out when I was shopping. I'm sure I'd be allowed now as a cash customer, but sportbike testrides around here are still rare for the most part, and understandably so. And the reasoning might be that all of them are uncomfortable as hell, and fast as stink, so it boils down to which one you like better, no? If I was a dealer, I'd probably allow test rides for mature individuals, but not young punks, and not allowing test rides on sportbikes is a non-discriminatory way to do just that (you can always make exceptions). Later gang.

JC

There would have been 0% chance I would have bought my bike without a test drive. They let me ride it 1-up and then 2-up with the wife. I bought it that night.

Man, where in So Cal did they let you test ride a bike ???
Mission Motorsports in Irvine, CA just off Bake and the 5 freeway. It is a 2-story building of motorcycles and I am sure Jeff would be happy to help you. Jeff is the sales manager there and tell him Trent sent you. I have been happy with the quality of service and the purchase as a whole.

I am taking a ride on the new 08 Kawasaki Concours tomorrow morning and can't wait to hit Ortega Hwy to check it out! Kawasaki has me signing a waiver but who cares...
Thanks for the info. :clapping:

[ Bikers want brand new 0 mile bikes when they get them. You go buy a car and 200 miles is not even looked at. It is just an interesting thing to me. What are you feelings?

This guy sort of made the point I was thinking.

So let me add: With all the anal-retentiveness regarding new bike break-in that swirls around this forum occasionally, let me consider the other side of the coin. Who here would consider buying a new FJR [and paying a "new" price] that had 100 or so test drive miles? No way of knowing who did what to it, and that first 100 miles is crucial for the buyer's peace of mind, and possibly for the well being of the bike, too.

I wouldn't. I want my new bike to have zero+mandatory dealer mechanic who assembled it test miles only. My bike had 8 miles on it when I bought it and I was fine with that.
Car dealers have demo cars, that way they don't put miles on the car you will buy. Why not the same thing for bikes? Yamaha could give the dealers a special price on a demo bike that would allow them to sell it later at a reduced price and still not get hurt.

Car dealers have demo cars, that way they don't put miles on the car you will buy. Why not the same thing for bikes? Yamaha could give the dealers a special price on a demo bike that would allow them to sell it later at a reduced price and still not get hurt.
In '02 there were no demo bikes period. That's because there were zero prior year bikes and since the PDP didn't deliver any extra bikes, no dealer had an '03 for demo.

As early as '03, demo bikes were around. Sure, not every dealer had one. Not even most. But if you looked around and asked, you could find them. Even though one was fairly close to me, (50 miles), I simply asked the FJR1300 list and there were people that would let me ride theirs.

Yamaha doesn't need to give a special price to dealers for a demo bike. They can still make a profit selling a low mile demo bike if they are smart. Not as much profit as a 0 mile bike, but that's what overhead and margins are all about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought mine without ever riding one. I love it. Questions?
Me too, but that's the first time that's happened in over a dozen bikes. And now I'm realizing some of the test rides, like the Bike Week ones, where you get babysat around the block like ducklings with 20 other bikes, no curves and never faster than 45mph are useless.

...How often does anyone get to test ride one? I get the impression its really rare? Am I right?

I could have had a test ride on a clutched bike (in the UK most dealers have, or have access to, test ride bikes), but none of my nearby Yamaha dealers had the AS (AE) varient in a test bike.

But in my case, due to a left finger impairment, I wanted the FJR because of its electric change. I didn't need a ride to find out how good or bad the bike might be; there is no other ST without a clutch lever, it was Hobson's choice.

I was simply going to have one just to keep riding (with thanks to my SO for encouraging me to get it).

And am I glad it turned out to be such a good ride :yahoo:

Ordered mine without ever riding any FJR. After reading this forum and seeing a co-worker with one... and listening to him brag... sold. PDP was ok with me.... the wait was terrible though... like a kid waiting for christmas. I'm glad my FJR had 0000000.0000 miles on it when I took delivery. (It wouldn't be Virgin if it didn't)... l8r

I'm glad my FJR had 0000000.0000 miles on it when I took delivery. (It wouldn't be Virgin if it didn't)... l8r
Virgins are sooo over rated. Too tight, slippery in the wrong places, not slippery enough in the right places, usually wearing the wrong farkles and worst of all, inexperienced! :rolleyes: ;)

Asked my local dealer about a test ride on a FJR. His comment was sure, buy the bike, if you don't like it the first 10 miles bring it back. I walked out the door.

I can go to my local Triumph/Victory dealer or BMW dealer and ask for a test ride and their first question is when do you want to set one up. Triumph even is having a contest that you have a chance to win a Rocket III if you do a test ride.

Think Yamaha, at least my local dealer is missing the boat. Anyone know of a Yamaha dealer in Florida that allows test rides on the FJR???

Anyone know of a Yamaha dealer in Florida that allows test rides on the FJR???
<humor mode on>

Please submit your proposed route for forum examination. If your route passes the review, we may be able to direct you to a dealer that allows test rides on FJRs. If your route fails review, we may instead suggest several scooter dealers that allow test rides. You see, we know Florida has no twisties. And the FJR ain't no boulevard cruiser.

<humor mode off>

Have you tried just calling the dealers in your area? Cruisers and broke down bikes, (BMWs), are easy to get test rides on. They are so over priced that they can amoratize a demo bike. ;) Dealers are a little more concerned about people dropping bikes with a lot of plastic and a lot of power. If you're used to a lower center of gravity bike, something like the FJR can be a learning experience.

What are you riding now?

What are you riding now?
Whats wrong with scooters??? Riding a moped rebuilt with a chain saw motor. Figure its time to move up since my flip flops and board shorts keep getting hung up in the spokes.

Nothing wrong with scooters at all. Just thinking that sometimes they are a better choice for some areas, especially in town use where you can never really have fun on a motorcycle.

And people thought the Homilite XL350 with optional oiler would never amount to anything! ;)

Now you have hit upon the real issue. Yamaha does not give any incentives for Demos. Demo credits would do a couple of things for the dealer and customer. First, the dealer could allow people to try this bike and then he could offer it at a reduced price to a bargain shopper. Secondly the customer could deal where the store is concerned enough to incorporate a demo policy. I like the idea and now if Yamaha would help us out. Good point.