Steel Dogbones on Ebay!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't say how long they are. Don't they have to be shorter than stock to raise the back up?

I did it to my FJR because I ride 2-up all the time. If I recall mine are 3/4" shorter which raises the back 1". In a group of other FJRs you can see mine tips more on the side stand than the other FJRs. Remember that!

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention that raising the bike in the back allows you to put the bike on the center stand with one hand. You'll need a 1/2" board under the center stand to change your tire.

I forgot to mention that raising the bike in the back allows you to put the bike on the center stand with one hand. You'll need a 1/2" board under the center stand to change your tire.

Awesome!

I wish to raise the rear to quicken the steering... Since I have no problem reaching, I might as well.

Timely post......

I have considered this too!! I would like the extra road clearance.

I was actually hoping to find (or make) a set that only raised it about a 1/2 inch.

I need to get the master fabricater "Joe2Lmaker" involved here.

I am guessing that one would need to split the difference (of the measurements) from

the stock bones compared to the 1 inch raised bones.

MartyA,

Would you happen to have (or could you get me) the exact measurements

of the 1 inch rised bones?

Calling Joe... Come in Joe, or anyone with the Joe's skills....

WW

Worth noting that a "standard" Pensky rear shock will raise the back by about 1-1.5" ;)

I did it to my FJR because I ride 2-up all the time. If I recall mine are 3/4" shorter which raises the back 1". In a group of other FJRs you can see mine tips more on the side stand than the other FJRs. Remember that!
No comment ;)

Worth noting that a "standard" Pensky rear shock will raise the back by about 1-1.5" ;)
And this will be a serious consideration once i get close to 50k on the odometer!
Based on my experience with two GenII FJRs, my riding (more towards sport than touring) style & weight (230lb), 27-30k is about all I can get out of the OEM suspension before it turns to shit.

And this will be a serious consideration once i get close to 50k on the odometer!
Based on my experience with two GenII FJRs, my riding (more towards sport than touring) style & weight (230lb), 27-30k is about all I can get out of the OEM suspension before it turns to shit.

Then only 24k to go!

Timely post......MartyA,

Would you happen to have (or could you get me) the exact measurements of the 1 inch rised bones?

WW
No Sorry. It was one of the 1st things I did when I bought mine in 07. I can't remember who made mine - I had a set made for my FZ-1 a year earlier by a guy on that forum, and I think he made another set for me for the FJR. If you're having someone make a set you can measure them on the bike center to center. Take 3/4" to 7/8" off the length to get about 1 1/4" raised in back. They come off easily, you have to support the swingarm and not use the center stand, it gets in the way.

Write-up how to install lowering links. Same procedure for installing "lifting links."

I think most people buy the dog bones to lower their bike. These are longer and drops the frame down. Note that this makes putting it on the center stand more difficult. Most sites sell them as "lowering links." I wonder if you could get a set from these guys for another bike that measures 3/4" shorter than stock to raise the back?

www. koubalink.com

www.whaccessories.com

If they are willing I guess you could ask for a set that is 3/4" shorter than the stock ones and order them.

No comment ;)
Bungie, don't think I didn't see that! <_<

;)

For those who have raised their tail section 1 - 1.5...

Has this rear raise ever become a problem with any handling?

I realize that raising the rear is suppose to increase your turn in (which I don't mind).

Anyone have input regarding??

WW

I realize that raising the rear is suppose to increase your turn in (which I don't mind).

WW

I haven't tried this, but if you wanted to see how you would like the handling attributes, couldn't you drop the front end by sliding the forks up in the triple clamps an appropriate amount? I realize the clearance will be reduced, but it would give you a feel for how much the straight line stability would be reduced by the increased rake angle and decreased trail.

Personally, the high speed stability of the stock angles is a major attribute of the FJR in my books and I'm not sure I'd be willing to compromise that for quicker handling.

If I wanted quicker handling bike I'd ride a lighter bike, like maybe a VFR perhaps... :eek:

WW

I haven't tried this, but if you wanted to see how you would like the handling attributes, couldn't you drop the front end by sliding the forks up in the triple clamps an appropriate amount? I realize the clearance will be reduced, but it would give you a feel for how much the straight line stability would be reduced by the increased rake angle and decreased trail.

Personally, the high speed stability of the stock angles is a major attribute of the FJR in my books and I'm not sure I'd be willing to compromise that for quicker handling.

If I wanted quicker handling bike I'd ride a lighter bike, like maybe a VFR perhaps... :eek:
Fred,

I agree... I am only looking to gain some more clearance in the twisties. I do not want this enough to give up

the FJR's rock solid stability though.

WW