Steel Dogbones on Ebay!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has this rear raise ever become a problem with any handling?

I did it because I ride 2-up 99% of the time. I do notice slightly better cornering on the rare occasion I am solo.

But I did it to my FZ-1 also and have no problems keeping up in the twisties.

I think the improvement is minimal, but for me I did it more for 2-up riding.

Ok.. Got it done.

Turns out the company selling these on Ebay does also sell a set of riser

bones for the Gen II that is only a 5/8th's raise. I will report back how

these work out. I am hoping that they will give me just enough added

corner clearance without changing the speed stability.

Webby

Ok.. Got it done.
Turns out the company selling these on Ebay does also sell a set of riser

bones for the Gen II that is only a 5/8th's raise. I will report back how

these work out. I am hoping that they will give me just enough added

corner clearance without changing the speed stability.

Webby
WW,

I'll be watching for your results. I'm especially interested in behavior when 2-up after the added height.

If you don't have a pillion handy maybe you can borrow one?

I'm betting that the increased cornering clearance will be minimal, but the handling differences more noticeable. Hopefully only in a good way, as in quicker steering without any decreased stability like mentioned.

Good Luck.

Fred,

Thanks, I will keep you posted. I am thinking that if my bike had come

with 5/8ths more clearance... I may not have been melting the peg feelers

(As much) . I keep my suspension dialed up pretty stiff and the feelers

are the only hard parts I scrape. Time will tell and I will pass on the

results.

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

Ok, I will give you a hollar. An extra hand would be great!

I just ordered them lastnite... They are coming out of CANADA... Prolly

won't get um until next week sometime.

Talk to you about it,

Webbby

Fred,
Thanks, I will keep you posted. I am thinking that if my bike had come

with 5/8ths more clearance... I may not have been melting the peg feelers

(As much) . I keep my suspension dialed up pretty stiff and the feelers

are the only hard parts I scrape. Time will tell and I will pass on the

results.

WW

Precisely why I want them!

If you get 5/8" shorter dog bones you should get about 1 1/2" lift in the back, which means the tire is 1 1/2" closer to the ground. I hope you have long legs. If I recall I got 7/8" shorter and when I am seated I can still flat foot with my knees bent.

Put the bike on the center stand. When you remove the bolts the rear wheel will drop. I put a 1/2" board under it first - aligned with the bike - and then when I put the replacement bolts in I reached back with one hand and grabbed one end of the board and was able to lever the wheel up enough to slide the bolts in with my other hand. Be careful to lift the wheel so that you don't dump the bike off the center stand. No, I didn't.... almost...

Thanks for the heads up Marty,

This Canadian Co sells the dogbones that raise it 1.25 inches and then another set that supposedly only raises the bike 5/8's.

I guess I will find out.

Webby

Webby,I want to be there for the install.
I'd like to have a shot at being there as well.

Shane
What's with all dem gophers wantin' ta get their butts inna air??

:)

I forgot to mention also that you will need to keep that 1/2" board handy to help when changing your rear tire. Put it under the center stand. I can remove the wheel and used tire without the board, but some newly mounted tires won't fit without the help up.

I forgot to mention also that you will need to keep that 1/2" board handy to help when changing your rear tire. Put it under the center stand. I can remove the wheel and used tire without the board, but some newly mounted tires won't fit without the help up.
I thought that was SOP even for stock suspended bikes... I always put a 5/4" board (piece of pressure treated decking) under the center stand when I want to more easily pull the rear wheel from under the fender.

If you get 5/8" shorter dog bones you should get about 1 1/2" lift in the back, which means the tire is 1 1/2" closer to the ground. I hope you have long legs. If I recall I got 7/8" shorter and when I am seated I can still flat foot with my knees bent.
I normally ride with the rear tire real close to the ground already...not sure I could get 1 1/2" closer.

I just ordered some adjustable bones to raise the ride height - from www.soupysperformance.com .. Great guy to work with by the way (Mike "Soupy" Brandt) and looks like just what I've been looking for.

I'll let ya'll know how the install went.

...which means the tire is 1 1/2" closer to the ground [SIZE=12pt]when on the center stand[/SIZE].

Some people are just picky..... <_<

:D JK!

Don't forget what I mentioned about the increased lean of the bike when it is on the side stand. Watch where you park.

...which means the tire is 1 1/2" closer to the ground [SIZE=12pt]when on the center stand[/SIZE].
Some people are just picky..... <_<

:D JK!
My mental picture just cleared up, thanks. <_<

Don't forget what I mentioned about the increased lean of the bike when it is on the side stand. Watch where you park.
Definitely good to keep in mind.

Webby,Call me. I want to be there for the install.
I'd like to have a shot at being there as well, if you don't mind.

Shane
Shane,

Wouldn't mind at all... I just got them in the mail this afternoon.

Just spoke to Joe... He is out of town on a ride so he isn't gonna be

able to make it. I will be doing the install shortly here... PM me if'n

you can make it out to NW suburbs within the hour. I will post up

some pics later tonight.

WW