Steering head tool

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamK

Reaction score
Anyone local to the eastside have the tool required to torque the steering head bolt? After hitting a rock and bending my rim on my trip to the Sierras I've been experiencing head shake. I've replaced the rim, tried replacing the tire with another used one from my rack with no luck. I have a new tire coming today but am not too confident that will fix things. If that doesn't do the trick I'd like to loosen and re-torque the triple trees and the steering head bolt.

TIA!

I'm off Monday and Tuesday. What time works for you?
I work in downtown Seattle. I could swing by today on my way home, and to avoid the nasty 405 traffic I would bugger out of here around 3:00, so 3:30'ish?? If that works for you please PM me your location. Thx!

punk.gif

do you guys use the spanner looking one, or the socket style ?? looking to purchase one, thanks
The one I borrowed from Dave is the spanner type. Not as convenient as the socket type, but did the job. You're suppose to keep your torque wrench at a 90 degree angle with the spanner when using it. If you don't you'll impart more torque to the bolt than recommended. It's a good lesson in statics.
smile.png
Things get in the way making it difficult to keep at the 90 degree angle. You wouldn't have that problem with the socket type.

Let me know if you find a good deal on a socket type. I'd like to get one for my tool collection.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a socket style one I got from Just Roy (forum member here who's not making them any more) years ago. I'd be glad to loan it to any local members. It's definitely more convenient than the spanner style tool (which I also have ;) ).

I have a socket style one I got from Just Roy (forum member here who's not making them any more) years ago. I'd be glad to loan it to any local members. It's definitely more convenient than the spanner style tool (which I also have
wink.png
).
I have the socket one too

Wow, thanks for the offers everyone! I used the spanner tool I borrowed from Dave to torque and rule out the head bearings as the cause. Like in the ST world installing roller bearing is a common cure for head shake. Maybe hitting the rock put a dent in my head bearing race?? I might try roller bearings this fall if no other fix materializes.

So is anyone still making/selling the socket type tool? I found one $ource in the UK......

That link says it's not compatible with FJRs after 2009?? Did something change or are they just not up to date? It also looks to be open ended from the picture??? Should accept a socket on top, right?
Sorry Adam, my standard search is 007.

That link says it's not compatible with FJRs after 2009?? Did something change or are they just not up to date? It also looks to be open ended from the picture??? Should accept a socket on top, right?
Sorry Adam, my standard search is 007.
After doing a little research I think they are all the same. I found one site selling a single spanner for all model years through 2014. I'd think that means they are all the same, no?