Steering head wrench?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canucklehead-biker

Reaction score
Time to service the steering head bearings, and I'm looking for the spanner for the steering head nut. Yamaha Part# 33975 has to be ordered from the dealer (= spendy). Per the Bin-'O-Facts, K&L Supply makes them for Yamaha, (Part#KL-0201D) but I can't find anyone that sells them.

Does anyone know where I can get one of the above, or the equivalent from another manufacturer, without paying through the nose at the dealer (and possibly waiting weeks for it to show up)?

Thanks,

Griff

I thought it was a 36mm socket and that you would want to torque the nut? Guess I find out soon, for that maintenance is on the docket for me. I believe their was a forum member making nice ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riding buddy and co-worker of mine (also on an '08 FJR) just tightened his. He went to Sears and bought a 36mm socket for something around $10 +/- $2 US.

Search around on here some more. If you are talking about the wrench that tightens the nuts below the triple, there is a member here that made some mighty fine ones that work with the 36mm socket you took the top nut off with. I am forgetting the name right now so you will just have to search around, unless someone can come up with what I am talking about. The price was reasonable and it is easy to use. Wish I had more info for you.

mr.paul from Minnesota

Borrow one from auto-zone if you've got one close by. They have a set of tools that they "lend" and i'll bet thats one of them.

GreyGoose

Borrow one from auto-zone if you've got one close by. They have a set of tools that they "lend" and i'll bet thats one of them.
GreyGoose
I'll bet it's not available at AutoZone. B)

The tool he is asking about is a special tool made for the FJR. I don't know if it fits anything else. Bike Johnny used to sell it along with a two sided hex adapter that fit both the front and back axle. They seem to be out of business.

Anyway, the only places I know of that sell it now are Yamaha and just roy from this forum who makes them custoem and is pointed to in a post above. The one made by just roy looks to be a better tool.

Time to service the steering head bearings, and I'm looking for the spanner for the steering head nut. Yamaha Part# 33975 has to be ordered from the dealer (= spendy). Per the Bin-'O-Facts, K&L Supply makes them for Yamaha, (Part#KL-0201D) but I can't find anyone that sells them.
Does anyone know where I can get one of the above, or the equivalent from another manufacturer, without paying through the nose at the dealer (and possibly waiting weeks for it to show up)?

Thanks,

Griff

Griff,

You probably need one of these:

001-3.jpg

A steering head socket is a much more convenient design over what Yamaha offers to tighten those bearings. Perhaps PM forum member "just roy" to see if he's still making them.

Clicky here.

sorry was out on a ride. was cheating though and riding the tard. against my better judgement and due to the fact i sold my socket i will commit to make some more this weekend. i have about seven people on the list and unless something bad happens i should be able to finnish them. if anybody else wants to get on the list pm me your name and address and i will send you one. this is on the honor system you pay after you get the socket. the price will be $29 with shipping. if you got one before and didn't pay i will be sending out reminders soon as there are 10 of you that have let it slip your minds.

sorry was out on a ride. was cheating though and riding the tard. against my better judgement and due to the fact i sold my socket i will commit to make some more this weekend. i have about seven people on the list and unless something bad happens i should be able to finnish them. if anybody else wants to get on the list pm me your name and address and i will send you one. this is on the honor system you pay after you get the socket. the price will be $29 with shipping. if you got one before and didn't pay i will be sending out reminders soon as there are 10 of you that have let it slip your minds.
Thanks Roy, PM sent.

Griff

Just Roy's sockets are the sh--z.! Did the steering head bearings a month ago and Roy's socket worked like a dream.

John

I knew you'd have more requests. You're artistry in metal is famous Roy! PM sent.

you guys! Roy fronts you the tool in good faith and you stiff him the price. don't do that.

(PM me if i did that)