Steering Nut Wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The top tool is from Bikejohnny, the bottom tool is from Chaparral-Racing. They don't look the same to me though the Chaparral tool would probably work. I know the Bikejohnny tool works. The nuts that you will be trying to grab are in the picture to the right (not to scale).

toolssteering.jpg
steernut2.jpg

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to be careful about the included arc so that the tooth (pawl?) will grab and hold when trying to remove the nuts (and when torquing them back in place).

If you don't want to use the right tool, you could save 100% of your cash and use a hammer and flat blade screw driver like the jokers at the shops do. You know. The shops that you refuse to take your bike because they cut corners and don't fix things the right way.

The cost for the combo kit from Bike Johnny is cheap. You get the front axle removal allen head socket and the steering head bearing spanner for about the price of the Yamaha spanner.

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/shb/shb.html

You have to be careful about the included arc so that the tooth (pawl?) will grab and hold when trying to remove the nuts (and when torquing them back in place).
If you don't want to use the right tool, you could save 100% of your cash and use a hammer and flat blade screw driver like the jokers at the shops do. You know. The shops that you refuse to take your bike because they cut corners and don't fix things the right way.

The cost for the combo kit from Bike Johnny is cheap. You get the front axle removal allen head socket and the steering head bearing spanner for about the price of the Yamaha spanner.

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/shb/shb.html
I bought this setup, and it's a good deal, the axle tool is handier than you might think. The axle tool also fits the swingarm pivot shaft. I tried the Progressive (Chaperral) tool, it took much grinding on the inner radius for it to work, and even then it doesn't fit like the Bike Johnny does.

I concur with Bounce. Use the right tool for the job.

I can't recall the number of times that I was stuck with poor spanner wrench fit on coilover racing shocks. Nothing like busting your knuckles or hosing a lower spring nut to get you to reconsider the appropriate tool. :angry:

Besides, I'm not sure that the correct torque value can be applied correctly if the tool geometry is different than the specific factory-approved spanner. Particularly if the lever arm length is longer than the factory tool. :erm:

I'm surprised that nobody makes an actual socket to fit these nuts. I have a Ford Explorer with similar nuts on the front axels and there are sockets available to fit them that sell for between $10 and $20. Anybody try to make a socket?

I'm sure a socket could be made, but... Refer to the picture in the second posting. There are two nuts, the bottom is the steering head tensioning nut and the other nut is a 'jam' nut. There is also that honkin' long steering head shaft poking up through the nuts. The advantages of the spanner are that 1) it allows you to tension the lower nut without taking off the washer and top jam nut, and 2) you don't need a big deep wall socket to fit over the steering stem. Yamaha FSM calls for a spanner (Yamaha P/N YU-33975) so it's a pretty sure bet that Yamaha doesn't make a socket.

After looking at the Chaparral tool it is really doubtful it would be much better than the old hammer and screw driver method.

+2 about the Bikejohnny spanner and axle socket set. The first time I tried to remove the front axle I pretzeled the wrench from the tool kit. Fortunately I found this out from the comfort and convenience of my own garage and not beside the road in Lower Slobdovia at midnight <_< I've spannered my steering head and packed the axle tool in the under seat tool kit. As mentioned previously, the tool will work on more than just the front axle.

Alan

The front axel tool was easy to find in my tool box; I simply used the back end of a spark plug socket, stuck an extension shaft in through the end that normally goes on the spark plug. Guess I'll have to add the socket, extension, and a handle to turn it to my tool kit if I can't rely on the cheapo tools that came with the bike.

And now I'll put the spanner for the steering head bearings on my list of things to buy.

I saw one person who said he had one of the Komotodraggin Steering Head Tools and said it worked great. The applications page says that it will work with the FJR.

It is expensive but it looks like a quality tool. And with the drive axis the same as the torque axis, there's no issue of having to compensate for the length of the spanner. Which, in reality, is something you'd only have to figure out once, but still...

Cheers,

Jim

Ionbeam sez:

2) you don't need a big deep wall socket to fit over the steering stem. Yamaha FSM calls for a spanner (Yamaha P/N YU-33975) so it's a pretty sure bet that Yamaha doesn't make a socket....There are two nuts, the bottom is the steering head tensioning nut and the other (top) nut is a 'jam' nut
JimV found:

Komotodraggin Steering Head Tools...worked great. The applications page says that it will work with the FJR.
It is expensive but it looks like a quality tool....no issue of having to compensate for the length of the spanner
Good find! My *opinion* is that it is a $10 solution to a $1 problem. If I was a professional mechanic maybe it would look a bit better. The BJ tool works for me. There should be no torque calculations involved, the FJS states the torque for the offset Yamaha P/N YU-33975 tool.

Alan