steering stem sockets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just roy

Reaction score
well today i decided to make a socket for tightening the steering stem nuts. it takes the same socket as the cap nut. after using it and liking it i thought it would be a good way to give back and make the regional events a little better. i have about 15 more of these steel drops and i could set up to make them a lot faster than just doing one. they would also be more uniform and better finished. (i did the hex by eye in very poor light and i don't tend to sand and Polish a lot on a personal use tool) i thought they would make good banquet gifts. i would make a few for each area. i have a pretty complete fab and machining area and could produce other tools or accessories that you guys thought would make good gifts. a double ended socket with the two wheel bolt sizes comes to mind. if this sound like a good idea let me know. also other ideas on gifts would be nice, so that i could make an assortment. i am going to try to make it to all the regional rides this year (cept Canada) if i can stay reasonably healthy. hope to meet a lot of you and see the country. anyone else going to try this?

002.jpg

001-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Way cool, Roy. I think it would be very cool to raffle one or two of these out at WFO8 this July.

And I wouldn't mind buying one for my own use, so put me on the list for one if you decide to sell them! :clapping:

Way cool, Roy. I think it would be very cool to raffle one or two of these out at WFO8 this July.
And I wouldn't mind buying one for my own use, so put me on the list for one if you decide to sell them! :clapping:
Yup, me too. Ian, Iowa

I'd be interested in one too, and am wondering how many other popular m/c use the same size castellated nut?

I'll bet there are quite a few, and that would open up a serious market for you if you decide you want to go into production. Your prototype seems to be a very nice solution to a common problem. Having used "adjustable spanner wrenches for other applications in years past, I KNOW the limitations of that approach... gowed-up slots in the nuts, skinned knuckles, opportunities to exercise one's well developed vocabulary of interesting swear words... the list is endless! :eek:

I think you have a winner there! :drinks: Go for it!

Don

Looks great! I'd buy one. Good thing you're not proposing to make these for a V-twin cruiser forum or they would complain that they're not chromed. :D

Hey great job. I'd buy one too!

Sure would beat my torque by feel

via hammer and drift!!!

Actually that was the 04, I'd like to

do right by the 08.