Steering Stem Torque

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those concerned with the geometry are thinking too much.

The reason the torque wrench should be at 90 degrees to the nut wrench, is that 90 degrees negates the extra length of the nut wrench. If it is not at the correct angle you are effectively lengthening the torque wrench and increasing the mechanical advantage (over-tightening)

Those concerned with the geometry are thinking too much.
The reason the torque wrench should be at 90 degrees to the nut wrench, is that 90 degrees negates the extra length of the nut wrench. If it is not at the correct angle you are effectively lengthening the torque wrench and increasing the mechanical advantage (over-tightening)
That was mentioned in post 10, with a lot of extra words thrown in to help the reader sleep
wink.png

Note that this zombi thread is from 2011 so many of the contributors are not going to be able to defend their honor on the internet
laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
13 ftlb isn't actually much more than "hand tight" .... It is only 13 pounds with one foot lever!!
Once you grasp the reasoning, you can get closer with a basic wrench than you ever will with a so-so torque wrench.
13 lb in. isn't much more than hand tight. 13 lb ft is 156 lb in. which is way more than hand tight. Just thought I would chime in.

13 ftlb isn't actually much more than "hand tight" .... It is only 13 pounds with one foot lever!!
Once you grasp the reasoning, you can get closer with a basic wrench than you ever will with a so-so torque wrench.
13 lb in. isn't much more than hand tight. 13 lb ft is 156 lb in. which is way more than hand tight. Just thought I would chime in.
Depends on your hands. :D

You have to be careful .... As we are not tightening things "by hand", we always have the mechanical advantage of a wrench .... With a one foot wrench, or even longer torque-wrench, 13 ftlb really doesn't feel very tight at all. In fact the amount of pressure on the handle will equate roughly to lifting a couple of bags of sugar.

So in terms of "feel", and using normal tools, it will simply not feel very tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resurrection of this thread is prolly my fault!
blushing.gif
I was trying to find an old post showing how to make a cheap steering head socket, and accidentally posted it on one of the pages that came up in my search. Not knowing how to delete the post, I inadvertently bumped the zombie thread.
crazy.gif