Stock is to small and puppies are to big

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seventyss

Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of searching and it sounds like lots of folks like the BMW grips, but that they aren't long enough. What would be "just right"?

I put Grip Puppies on when I got the bike because I felt like I was trying to hold pencils to ride the bike. After the Grip Puppies eventually dissolved I never replaced them and have gotten accustomed to the standard grips. It's no big deal (no pun intended) after a bit of time, and now after 2 years I think nothing of it.

I've done quite a bit of searching and it sounds like lots of folks like the BMW grips, but that they aren't long enough. What would be "just right"?

Long enough is subjective. I'm about to install the BMW grips. While they are shorter in length than the stock grips, they are wide enough for my hand to grip easily and still provide some room to move around. I'll deal with any extra handle bar showing through by installing my vista cruise and anything else I can fit into the newly found real estate... :D

I had some grip wraps a while ago that I liked better than Grip Puppies. They were similar, but instead of sliding them over the grips (not easy) they just wrapped around and fastened with a strip of Velcro--the "hooked" part. They were just a rectangle of that neoprene material. The Velcro adhered to it, so you laid a strip of Velcro along the long edge--halfway--and then wrapped them around the grip. The Velcro held the other side down just fine. I looked and can't find them online now, but if you can find the sheets of neoprene or whatever that spongy material is, it would be simple and cheap to cut both parts to the size you want.

Another plus on doing this is they're easily removed if you put on bulky gloves or want to use the grip heaters and feel all the heat coming through. And of course, easy to re-apply too. Once you find the material, it must come in various thicknesses.

Re-reading this, I decided to point out that the Velcro goes on the inside of the fabric, if it wasn't obvious. I always put the seam in the back to make it look neater, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not made anymore, but we're hoping to buy a special run from the manufacturer soon.

Grand Touring grips by Sunline

Keep your fingers crossed. You MIGHT find a pair still in stock somewhere.

I know what you mean bout the grips.I have searched far and wide for that "perfect" grip for my road bikes.I am totally sold on the Pro-Grip Duo-density model 842.I am super hoto about the grips on my bikes and these rock!Give em a try,I got mine thru Chaparral Motorsports for $9.99.They say for cruisers but I only have sport/touring bikes and dual sports. P/N PG17-8031.

I had some grip wraps a while ago that I liked better than Grip Puppies. They were similar, but instead of sliding them over the grips (not easy) they just wrapped around and fastened with a strip of Velcro--the "hooked" part. They were just a rectangle of that neoprene material. The Velcro adhered to it, so you laid a strip of Velcro along the long edge--halfway--and then wrapped them around the grip. The Velcro held the other side down just fine. I looked and can't find them online now, but if you can find the sheets of neoprene or whatever that spongy material is, it would be simple and cheap to cut both parts to the size you want.
Another plus on doing this is they're easily removed if you put on bulky gloves or want to use the grip heaters and feel all the heat coming through. And of course, easy to re-apply too. Once you find the material, it must come in various thicknesses.

Re-reading this, I decided to point out that the Velcro goes on the inside of the fabric, if it wasn't obvious. I always put the seam in the back to make it look neater, too.
I just installed a set of Grip Puppies. Seemed simple enough I rolled them back some put a little soapy water on the inside of the puppies and the out side of the grips a little ok maybe a lot of pushing and done. :D

I had some grip wraps a while ago that I liked better than Grip Puppies. They were similar, but instead of sliding them over the grips (not easy) .
I just installed a set of Grip Puppies. Seemed simple enough I rolled them back some put a little soapy water on the inside of the puppies and the out side of the grips a little ok maybe a lot of pushing and done. :D
Grips Puppies are super easy to install with an air compressor! Just slip one end over the stock grip, stick the air compressor air nozzle into the open end, squeeze the open end of the grip puppy around the air nozzle and then quickly push the grip puppy on while blowing with the air nozzle. In seconds the grip puppy is on! :yahoo: If it's not positioned how you like, then you can always stick the air nozzle between the grip puppy and stock grip and shift while blowing some more.

I thought the grip puppies made my grips too fat until I rode with them for a couple of days. Don't notice the fatness anymore, and my hands don't cramp anymore either.

I find the standard grips small as well. This past weekend I came across another FJR and he had used bicycle bar wraps. I've used it on my own bicycle. They looked good and are simple to install and removed. The more you stretch them when installing, the thinner they get. You can also control how much overlap you use when wrapping the bars. This will also control the thickness. The wrap is has a lot of grip as well. I will give it a go before my trip around Lake Superior later this summer and report back. If someone else takes the plunge first, let us know how it worked out.

When wrapping the bars, start at the end of the bar and work towards the center. This keeps them from unraveling. Tape and lock wire on both ends would be good as well.

Cheers,

Denis

QUOTE (seventyss @ May 13 2010, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found it wasn't so much that the grips were too small, more I needed to squeeze my hand too much to get sufficient grip.

Solved the problem by wrapping a piece of rubber (cut from an old inner tube) round the throttle grip.

(Click on image for lsrger view)

(First posted here).

Did this over 2 years ago, still working well.

I installed the Grip Puppies last week and I'm not sure that I'm happy with them. First of all the hair spray did not hold on the left bar (maybe I need extra hold.) They have improved the cramping situation a bit, but still feel too big. After looking at all the pics of the BMW grips, I'm thinking about cutting the Grip Puppies and just having a section that is about an inch and a half wide, located in the middle of the grip. That would slightly mimic the shape of the beamer grips. Might do the trick...if not, I'm out $10.

I went to the local Academy Sporting Goods store and headed to the tennis section. There I bought for about $7.99 a tennis grip wrap that is a leather-like material.

It was exactly enough to do both my FJR grips and provides a great feel. If you have small hands, however, it may make your grips a bit too large. For me, it is perfect.

I installed the Grip Puppies last week and I'm not sure that I'm happy with them. First of all the hair spray did not hold on the left bar (maybe I need extra hold.) They have improved the cramping situation a bit, but still feel too big. After looking at all the pics of the BMW grips, I'm thinking about cutting the Grip Puppies and just having a section that is about an inch and a half wide, located in the middle of the grip. That would slightly mimic the shape of the beamer grips. Might do the trick...if not, I'm out $10.
Did you get a large size grip puppy? The FJR works best with size small grip puppies. I'm just wondering why you're having slippage, unless maybe the hair spray is causing it? I'm on my second set of grip puppies (the first set started to split on the end after 30,000 miles) and they have never slipped even though I ride in the rain constantly. I didn't use any lube or glue to install - I just used the air compressor method described in my previous post.

I thought the grip puppies made my grips too fat until I rode with them for a couple of days. Don't notice the fatness anymore, and my hands don't cramp anymore either.
+1

I might also add, after 25K+ miles the grips aren't quite as big around now, as the foam seems to be loosing some of it's elasticity. However, the grips are still holding up well. When / If this pair wears out, I'll definately be spending $10 on another pair!

For the install, I used the soapy water procedure that was mentioned above. Went on easy peazy and the soap just washes right out (especialy if you ride in the rain alot :grin: )

I've got these on my bike and love them. Not too small, not too large and not too expensive and work well with heated grips also. I have a friend who has a Kawasucki Concours who referred me to these grips. Wicked Webby also had them on his bike. They fit the FJR too. Good luck with your selection. Here's the photo link:

https://www.murphskits.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=35

If that doesn't work, just go to www.murphskits.com and type in "grips" in the search box.

I found it wasn't so much that the grips were too small, more I needed to squeeze my hand too much to get sufficient grip.

Solved the problem by wrapping a piece of rubber (cut from an old inner tube) round the throttle grip.

[SIZE=8pt](Click on image for lsrger view)[/SIZE]

(First posted here).

What application or method are you using that allows you to post thumbnails like that?

QUOTE (phroenips @ May 21 2010, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (mcatrophy @ May 18 2010, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (seventyss @ May 13 2010, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(Click on image for lsrger view)

(First posted here).

What application or method are you using that allows you to post thumbnails like that?

It will seem complicated, but isn't really.

All my web site pictures have thumbnails created for my standard method of viewing, a typical example here. I use these thumbnails as the picture seen in the post, so click on the "Insert Image" icon and give the URL of the thumbnail. Note, when entering an image URL, the image entry is left highlighted in the posting window.

With my standard method of viewing, if you click the thumbnail on the thumbnail page, it creates an 800x600 image on another page from my web site, which (of course) has a URL. So, now I click on the "Insert Link" icon, and enter the URL of this 800x600 image page. Because text was highlighted before pressing the "Insert Link" icon, it doesn't ask for text.

Bingo, entry complete.

Here's an example.

Posting as described above looks like this in the posting window:
[url="https://atrophy.lock.net/pi/20090530/index.php?image=DSCF4792.JPG&sz=1"][img]https://atrophy.lock.net/pi/20090530/tmp/0_DSCF4792.JPG[/img][/url]

and like this (that you can click on)in the viewing window:

Just for the record, if you click on my 800x600 image, you will get the original, full-size picture. This can be a big file (later ones are around 5MB) so can take a while to download, but there is often a lot of detail in there.

All my web site pictures have thumbnails created for my standard method of viewing
Yeah, I understand how you get it to the forums like that, I was asking about the gallery software on your website that gives you the thumbnails/800x600/full size/etc.