Stock is to small and puppies are to big

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gilf, it's interesting that you brought up those grips. I had a set on my Honda and thought that I would transfer them over to the FJR. So far they feel good. If I remember right they came from Italy were around $18 and I bought them from Raask ----something.

QUOTE (phroenips @ May 21 2010, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (mcatrophy @ May 21 2010, 03:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All my web site pictures have thumbnails created for my standard method of viewing

Yeah, I understand how you get it to the forums like that, I was asking about the gallery software on your website that gives you the thumbnails/800x600/full size/etc.

Sorry, didn't understand your question.

[
graduated.gif
]

The program is a bit of PHP, named index.php, so the web server picks it up automatically. It was originally written by my son, who is something of an expert in creating clever bits of software. I have since evolved it, it is anything but a "good" bit of software, but it seems to do the job.

Basically, the pictures are put in a directory on the server. Then index.php in that directory is called with possible parameters. A directory called tmp within the picture directory is used to hold the thumbnail and 800x600 sized pictures. These are created from the original picture if they don't exist as required. A simple call will pull up the first page of thumbnails; parameters may then be used to page through the thumbnails, to pull up the 800x600, or a full picture. If you do a bit of browsing, you will readily see how parameters are used.

I can add a title file for the directory (defaults to the directory name), also a legend file associated with each picture (defaults to the EXIF time-stamp if it exists or the file time-stamp), as well as a rotation file in case the orientation is not correct, although index.php looks for rotational information in the EXIF data within the original picture. Title, legend and rotation are all editable by me (but hopefully not by anyone else) through the same software.

I can also put in a file that gives instructions about the order (by EXIF date, file date, file name, or a list), but this I have to edit in by hand (adding this function is on the list of "things to do").

Being a good Linux computer, all index.php's link to a common file, so if I want/need to change anything, I only have to do it once, not the several hundred times that index.php appears to exist!

I also have another associated bit of software which sits above the picture directories that can be used to scan all directories relatively quickly, where sample tiny thumbnails are used to show samples from each directory. The general mechanisms are similar. Although I evolved this for my own purposes, it is publicly useable here. It is nothing like as well developed as index.php
beta.gif

[/
graduated.gif
]

Sorry you asked?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had some grip wraps a while ago that I liked better than Grip Puppies. They were similar, but instead of sliding them over the grips (not easy) they just wrapped around and fastened with a strip of Velcro--the "hooked" part. They were just a rectangle of that neoprene material. The Velcro adhered to it, so you laid a strip of Velcro along the long edge--halfway--and then wrapped them around the grip. The Velcro held the other side down just fine. I looked and can't find them online now, but if you can find the sheets of neoprene or whatever that spongy material is, it would be simple and cheap to cut both parts to the size you want.
Another plus on doing this is they're easily removed if you put on bulky gloves or want to use the grip heaters and feel all the heat coming through. And of course, easy to re-apply too. Once you find the material, it must come in various thicknesses.

Re-reading this, I decided to point out that the Velcro goes on the inside of the fabric, if it wasn't obvious. I always put the seam in the back to make it look neater, too.
I got a set of those last year, and be aware they get loose when you turn the heated grips on (I have the OEM's). Grip puppies much better, except they insulate some of the heat from getting to you (remove when cold).

I also tried tennis grip wrap (too thin) and a rubber baseball grip which had one edge glued and stayed on when you wrapped it. I actually liked it because you could determine the shape and size of your wrap, and it would pass all the heat through.

I finally found the web page for the grips from my Honda. They are working well in terms of reducing bar vibration and how they feel in my hands. This link gives details on the grips and the cost (they are spendy, but in my opinion worth it) Grips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put Grip Puppies on when I got the bike because I felt like I was trying to hold pencils to ride the bike. After the Grip Puppies eventually dissolved I never replaced them and have gotten accustomed to the standard grips. It's no big deal (no pun intended) after a bit of time, and now after 2 years I think nothing of it.
I put grip puppies on within a few months of buying the bike back in 07. I took them off 2 months ago because I wanted to feel more heat from the oem heated grips. What a shock I had when I went to ride without them for the first time in several years! Like wfooshee said, it was like trying to grab pencils... and it was not easy with the motoport kevlar gloves!

After 2 months, I don't notice it anymore. However I do feel more of the engine buzz than when the pups were on. I do have the heli triple clamp and manic salamander heavy bar ends, but there is still a buzz. If there is an alternative to something not as girthy as the pups then I'm all ears.

All my web site pictures have thumbnails created for my standard method of viewing
Yeah, I understand how you get it to the forums like that, I was asking about the gallery software on your website that gives you the thumbnails/800x600/full size/etc.
Sorry, didn't understand your question.

[ :graduated: ]

The program is a bit of PHP, named index.php, so the web server picks it up automatically. It was originally written by my son, who is something of an expert in creating clever bits of software. I have since evolved it, it is anything but a "good" bit of software, but it seems to do the job.

Basically, the pictures are put in a directory on the server. Then index.php in that directory is called with possible parameters. A directory called tmp within the picture directory is used to hold the thumbnail and 800x600 sized pictures. These are created from the original picture if they don't exist as required. A simple call will pull up the first page of thumbnails; parameters may then be used to page through the thumbnails, to pull up the 800x600, or a full picture. If you do a bit of browsing, you will readily see how parameters are used.

I can add a title file for the directory (defaults to the directory name), also a legend file associated with each picture (defaults to the EXIF time-stamp if it exists or the file time-stamp), as well as a rotation file in case the orientation is not correct, although index.php looks for rotational information in the EXIF data within the original picture. Title, legend and rotation are all editable by me (but hopefully not by anyone else) through the same software.

I can also put in a file that gives instructions about the order (by EXIF date, file date, file name, or a list), but this I have to edit in by hand (adding this function is on the list of "things to do").

Being a good Linux computer, all index.php's link to a common file, so if I want/need to change anything, I only have to do it once, not the several hundred times that index.php appears to exist!

I also have another associated bit of software which sits above the picture directories that can be used to scan all directories relatively quickly, where sample tiny thumbnails are used to show samples from each directory. The general mechanisms are similar. Although I evolved this for my own purposes, it is publicly useable here. It is nothing like as well developed as index.php :beta: .

[/ :graduated: ]

Sorry you asked?
Not at all sorry, thanks!

Just more proof that while I can be good on the Unix/Linux admin side, it still doesn't make me a good programmer or coder :p