Stomach went out my back....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbors daughter has been fascinated by our bikes since she was able to walk. Wife and I both ride. She's been asking when I would take her and after talking to her parents quite a bit, this year she was finally big enough to reach the footpegs so she got her wish. She's just a little wisp of a kid. I put the top box on so she'd feel more comfortable and we put my wife's helmet on her with the Sena so she could talk to me. I only got on it a very small amount and she absolutely loved every second of it. Told her folks she doesn't want a car she wants a motorcycle! Her folks have told her that I will be the one to help her shop for her first bike when the time comes.

Love introducing new people to the fun of motorcycles!

I don't think we have the right to tell anyone what to do with their own children. However if I were lucky enough for my stepdaughter to let me take my Granddaughter on the bike I would be taking things very steady. I can do silly speeds when I'm on my own. When she's old enough to make an adult decision and wants to go fast then that's a different matter.

"Rolling on the throttle" doesn't necessarily equate to redlining every gear or doing triple digits. Quickly accelerating, particularly on a bike like the FJR, is no more dangerous than accelerating more slowly as long as the rider is aware of his surroundings. And for a young passenger, I'm sure it's a hoot!

I mean, seriously folks, what's gonna happen? This isn't a high strung sport bike that's gonna wheelie out from under you or suddenly be doing stratospheric speeds before you can get it back under control.

Ride your own ride. If you carry a passenger, they (or their adult guardian) must be cool with things because "your ride" becomes their ride, too. Otherwise, it's nobody else's business until you violate the law.

What's scary for you may be innocent fun for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we have the right to tell anyone what to do with their own children. However if I were lucky enough for my stepdaughter to let me take my Granddaughter on the bike I would be taking things very steady. I can do silly speeds when I'm on my own. When she's old enough to make an adult decision and wants to go fast then that's a different matter.
My daughter has been riding with me since she was about ten years old, and we've many times rolled on the throttle...but I've never had her on the bike without a passenger backrest. Might seem like hand-wringing to some who have posted, but younger kids are inattentive enough without me worrying about her flipping off the back if she's not ready for the acceleration.

i drag a knee with my daughters on the back... they love it and are exceptional passengers. riding with me since about 10 and now both adults.

Good for you for enjoying your bike with your lovely daughter. :)

I feel some here, think rolling on the throttle is like what you see in YouTube videos, where idiots are screaming down the highway at 160+mph speeds, weaving through traffic. It's not.

I usually get into 2nd, doing about 20-25mph, and start rolling on, not hitting the throttle. It a gradual thing, a linear acceleration that builds. Then I hit 3rd, and immediately back off. This happens in about 4-6 seconds. On a lonely road, without ANY other vehicles or signs of mankind.

I wouldn't have done this when I first got the bike, hell, I didn't take a pillion on until I'd been riding it almost a year, as I wanted to be certain I was comfortable first.

Everybody's comfort and skill levels are different. Don't judge. 😎