Stop&Go Emergency Tire Repair.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torch

Reaction score
I punctured a tire on the highway the other day. Not the first time, nor likely the last but I got to try out the Stop&Go kit I started carrying about 2 years ago for the first time.

About 15 minutes after stopping for fuel, I noticed something felt odd with the handling, glanced down at the TPMS and discovered the rear was down to 8 psi - no, 7 ps -- no, 5 -- Oh $#!+. Fortunately traffic was light and I knew another gas station was only a minute down the road. So I eased off the throttle, got into the right lane and limped it in to the air pump with 2 or 3 psi to spare.

Dang thing is $2 but only takes Loonies. Into the store I go for change. Once pumped up, I can't find the leak! I can't see it, I can't feel it, I certainly can't hear it over the noise of transports on the highway. So back into the store I go for a bottle of something soapy. One $11 bottle of gas station window cleaner later, I find the tiny little leak. So small I can't believe it's the only one -- but it is. I watch it for a while and discover it's losing less than 1psi per minute.

Hmmm. It's broad daylight, everything is open and there's a gas station every 10 or 15 minutes for the rest of the way home. Make multiple stops or risk an untried repair kit? I decided to start gas station hopping, aired it up to 45 psi, reinstalled the luggage, popped it off the centre stand and headed north.

Not the best decision. It turns out weight and speed make a difference in the rate of leakage so the pressure plummeted. I could see I wasn't going to make it to the next planned stop, so jumped off the highway at the next exit, heading for a less convenient but closer gas station. The kit comes with directions so I won't bore you with the details but I carefully followed them and ended up with a perfect seal, as proven with my expensive glass cleaner:

01_Repaired.jpg

I cut it off flush with the tread as per the instructions, packed everything up and headed north again. It not only held, but the pressure rose to 45psi as the tire warmed back up, getting me home about an hour later. It still seemed to be hard when I kicked it the next day, but I didn't have time to check the actual pressure. I have another bike to ride for most local trips.

That night it got down to 5°C. I don't know if that was a factor, but the next morning it was flat as a pancake. As in a stiff breeze on the left would have blown it off the sidestand. I rolled it into the garage, aired it up and this is what I found:

03_Now_leaking.jpg

Leaking worse than ever. Hard to tell if the plug is even in place -- is that a hole in the plug or did it pop out, or what?:

04_Plug_distorted.jpg

Dismounting the tire shows the plug is still there:

05_still_in_place.jpg

It almost fell out when I touched it. I might have been picking up a dime for all the force it took to remove. And no wonder! There wasn't much holding it in:

06_whats_left.jpg

Granted, this particular tire was at the wear bars. And granted, as per the directions, the plug was stretched 2" with pliers after insertion and before cutting flush. But that only left a couple of millimeters of plug. And it's not worn down -- the knife marks are clearly visible from where I cut it off.

As an emergency repair, I have to say it did it's job and got me home. Would I use it again? Probably. But as much as I hate sticky string, I think I'm going to add that back into the emergency kit as a back up. And I don't think cutting it flush (as per the directions) is the best idea. Better to leave it a little proud in case of spring-back.

But to those who have stated they left the thing in there as a long-term solution: you are playing with fire! I strongly recommend a proper repair at the earliest opportunity. I'll demonstrate what I consider a proper repair in the next post.

Stop&Go calls their product a "mushroom plug". And I guess technically it is. But here it is alongside my favourite tire repair method, a real mushroom plug on the left. Also included in the grouping is the failed plug for reference:

07_temp_vs_permanent.jpg

The real deal is bonded with rubber cement just like a patch. Apply and let dry. Work it into the puncture with the reamer too. The adhesive (covered in blue film until use) continues up the "stem" of the mushroom.

Roughen the inside of the tire before applying the glue. I love these abrasive wheels, but one has to be careful not to overdue it -- those wheels are aggressive enough to burn through the inside layer of rubber to the cords, and we certainly don't want that!

08_prep_inside.jpg

To install, one pulls the stem through the puncture with pliers. The metal point helps get it started. Then make sure the cap is well pressed into place with a tire stitcher, just like with any inside patch:

09_stitch_down.jpg

I like to keep pressure pulling on the stem while stitching it down on the inside simultaneously. Here's the result:

10_installed.jpg

And finally, I leave it a little proud. It'll wear down soon enough:

11_finished.jpg

Now THAT'S a repair that will last the life of the tire.

Although, I suppose technically so did the Stop&Go*. <lol>

*(Tire was never went back on. It was worn out and replaced with a new RS4)

Last edited:
I have heard a fair number of complaints about the Stop&Go plugs not staying put. They aren't even sticky, are they? My preference is a sticky string with a bit of rubber cement to lube for ease of insertion and help hold it in place. Haven't had a failure in the 4-5 times I've had to use them.

The patch-plug from the inside is the gold standard for sure, but this is a long way from being a roadside fix. Might be heavy enough to require rebalancing the tire as well, but not a big deal since you have the wheel off anyway. I have done a patch-plug once at a friend's place. Had the wheel off the bike for some other maintenance and took the opportunity to replace an old sticky string plug (that wasn't leaking). He had an automatic tire machine so it only took a few minutes to de-mount and re-mount the tire. (He also had the knowledge, equipment and expertise to do it right.) Assuming that the cords/belts weren't damaged by the puncture or reaming, I would have no hesitation to trust that repair under any conditions. Couldn't pop out and really can't even leak if the surface prep and "stitching" were done properly.

I have heard a fair number of complaints about the Stop&Go plugs not staying put. They aren't even sticky, are they?

No, they are not sticky at all. Given the way the mushroom head has to be squeezed through the puncture via the insertion tool, I don't think they could re-expand if they were.

I do wonder if it would be possible to at least coat the inside of the puncture itself with rubber adhesive. But I don't know if the plug material (which is very soft compared to others) is compatible with the adhesive. If not, it has the potential to make things worse.

@torch Glad you made it home safe with the mushroom plug in your tire. I used to carry the same kit until I saw this video. So, I switched to bacon strips, and I am glad I did. I had to patch my rear tire with one, and had no issues afterwards. The tire was at the last quarter of its life, so I used it up with the strip in it.

Spent time attending to flat with Stop and Go. Last time near automotive supply house. Bought sticky string kit and repaired. Rode it ho.e 450 miles and more after. I now carry sticky string kit with fresh adhesive.

Spent time attending to flat with Stop and Go. Last time near automotive supply house. Bought sticky string kit and repaired. Rode it ho.e 450 miles and more after. I now carry sticky string kit with fresh adhesive.
I've always been a sticky string guy. Part of my spring checklist is a new tube of glue and air compressor check, every year without fail.