Storms gone bad again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote

Reaction score
My second set of Avon Storms (rear tire me thinks) have gone bad in less than 2,000 miles. :angry2: Avon replaced the first rear tire free of charge. There was an assumption of early manufacturing problems, but that isn't the case. At about 1,700 miles it felt like I was constantly running over small tar strips and has progressively gotten more noticeable. Very unpleasant and probably not safe.

I spoke with the Avon rep today and was told that Avon does not recommend this tire for the FJR, due to weight and power. He said at this time Avon does not make a tire for the FJR, :blink: but one may be in the works. He feels that there is probably a broken strand in my tire and it should be replaced immediately. He suggested trying Michelin or Metzler.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't get Storms, just sharing my experience. Eat the cost and try something else. Maybe those new Michelin Road Pilot 2s. :glare:

An Avon rep suggested you got to Michelin or Metezler? Oh, wait... it's Friday.

When a rep suggests you go to the competitor...It's either Friday or that rep is not sold on his/her product.

Things that make you go Hmmmmm?

When a rep suggests you go to the competitor...It's either Friday or that rep is not sold on his/her product.
Or they think it's a customer they really don't want because they have unrealistic unexpectations.

I have been pretty happy with my Storms although hearing all this inconsistant feedback made me purchase a set of PR2's waiting to be put on. Guess it's possible to have such shi**y luck with 'em....I had the same experience with a Ford and wont ever touch one...to this day I refuse one if offered one as a rental. I have friends however who wont drive anythign but a F.O.R.D.

There are a lot of riders on this forum that swear by Avon Storms and the topic has been discussed many times. I purchased mine from SW Moto and must have gotten some of the "bad" tires. I previously had the stock Z4s. The first time out with the Avons I had serious handlebar shake that was not there with the Z4s, which many consider an inferior tire. By 2500 miles the tires were badly cupped, deformed and useless. I was on the road at the time and could not contact the company. I replaced them with PP2CTs. These tires took me home with NO handlebar shake. It seems to me that buying Avons and getting a good set is a crap shoot. I believe there are many better tires out there. From what I have read here, there are as many discouraging stories about Avons as there are good testimonials. This is not a good history for the Avon tire. I know I won't buy them again.

Or they think it's a customer they really don't want because they have unrealistic unexpectations.
Ouch! :blink:

Yeah. Pretty unrealistic to expect tires to stay together for more then 1,500 miles. <_<
No it isn't unrealistic at all if you said to the Avon rep, "I check the tire pressure every tank, ride like a Grandma with big chicken strips, weigh 125 pounds, and no luggage to speak of. Shucks, how could they have not lasted longer? Can you help me?" ...not unrealistic at all.

However, had you said, "Hey MoFo! You're a defective sub-human because I haul myself and my girlfriend at 150 to the track, scrape my exhaust all day, and think checking pressure is for wusses. If you don't send me tires right now I'll sue you!"....well it may be unrealistic.

I guess I'm saying is that I wonder just exactly how that conversation actually went and where on my obviously exagerated continuum one lies. I don't know you personally so that's why I threw it out as an "or".

It's just that I do know tire wear and perception of what tires should do has alway been hugely variable and subjective.

....sorry, I didn't mean to offend.

I haven't used Storms but have used 2 sets of older Avons. One was good, one was shit.

My opinion is Avon QC sucks and I won't run them.

[....sorry, I didn't mean to offend.
No offense taken really. I just thought it was an odd statement. The tire went bad it didn't wear out. Both front and rear still look great. The rep thinks there Iare one or more broken strands and possibly some internal separation. He warned me that it is not safe to continue riding with them.

As for riding... I keep my tires properly inflated, weigh about 170+gear, ride one-up, and usually like to hang with the faster groups but don't do race speeds. I occasionallys scape a peg when I misjudge a corner.

The conversation with the rep was friendly and businesslike. He simply stated that the tires are not recommended for the FJR or Honda ST1300. He indicated that he hopes I will return to Avon when they make a tire for our bikes.

Back in Reno, I talked with the Avon Rep at length about their tires.

I had a set of Azaro's ordered up at my local bike shop just prior to heading down to WFO in Reno. The Bike shop brought in AV 58/ 59's Avon Viper Supersport tires, (Well they are an Avon tire, Was the Parts Guy's answer to my WTF.) No other tires available, So I ran them to Reno.

Discussed the tires with the Avon Rep at Reno, He informed me the AV58/59's were absolutely the wrong tire for the FJR and Their New Storm was built for the FJR and that's what I should be running.

Burn't the Vipers off in 3300 miles, by the time I got home from Reno, they were shot.

Now if someone told me that's unrealistic expectations, He might be hobbling away with a tire jammed somewhere uncomfortable.....

Having met and ridden with Coyote several times I can confirm he rides smoothly and confidently. I don't think he has a confrontational bone in his body. His experience matches mine regarding the Storms, especially as they wear. I LOVE them when they are on, but they sure seem to have 'issues'.

I had good luck with the Storms and they lasted almost as far as the Azarros did for me. My complaint with them is the thin carcass with no steel cords. I picked up a small chunk of broken glass ( turned out to be mirror glass) and it went through the tire and caused a flat, the only puncture I ever had after more that 30 years of motorcycling. (I had a Mez go flat on me once, but that was after I actually wore it down through the carcass, not a puncture.)

I'm in the process of spooning on a set of BT021s that I bought last Fall. After those I'll probably try the new Dunlops. And I'm going to try a MEZ880 for the ride to NAFO. There are a lot of tire options for the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
My second set of Avon Storms (rear tire me thinks) have gone bad in less than 2,000 miles. :angry2: Avon replaced the first rear tire free of charge. There was an assumption of early manufacturing problems, but that isn't the case. At about 1,700 miles it felt like I was constantly running over small tar strips and has progressively gotten more noticeable. Very unpleasant and probably not safe.
I spoke with the Avon rep today and was told that Avon does not recommend this tire for the FJR, due to weight and power. He said at this time Avon does not make a tire for the FJR, :blink: but one may be in the works. He feels that there is probably a broken strand in my tire and it should be replaced immediately. He suggested trying Michelin or Metzler.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't get Storms, just sharing my experience. Eat the cost and try something else. Maybe those new Michelin Road Pilot 2s. :glare:

That's the first time I've heard of an Avon rep mention that. It's interesting though because my tire guy in North Little Rock told me the same thing. I didn't know if he was just trying to make a sell for a slightly higher priced tire with the Michelins or what. But it seemed that at some point some where on the old board, the Michelin PR's were considered the number 2 tire behind the Avons. My bike had the Z4's which were okay, but had a lot of anectodal delamination failures on the web. So I took the dive for the PR's and they were so much more confidence inspiring than the Z4's. They are all I've put on the bike since. Thanks for the post.

Five minutes of research is an amazing thing. Go to Avons web-site....

https://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/?pa...0&year=2006

And find this.....

FJR 1300A / AS / AE

Front Tyres

» Storm-ST

» Viper Sport

» Viper Supersport

Size 120/70ZR17 (58W)

2.7 bar (39psi)

Rear tyres

» Storm-ST

» Viper Sport

» Viper Supersport

Size 180/55ZR17 (73W)

2.9 bar (42psi)

That is what you get when you search for tires for a Yamaha 1300, and click on the FJR link. You might ask you Avon rep why their web-site shows the Storm as a recommended tire for the FJR.