Strange Noice During Compression Braking...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onecooltngeek

Reaction score
Allrighty, here's whats up....

I noticed this after my last dealer service, I was concerned about the service, cause they dealer had only done one other FJR and they didn't have any information on what the service entailed. They used the R1 service recomendations. of course, I was concerned, but it was a certified yammy dealer, and serivice center, and I have the YES, and I needed my service done before a weekend trip to Helen GA ( nice place)....

So I started noticing that when I compression brake, or just let off the throttle in the upper RPM bands, that I get a weird rattling/plastic-ziptie-in-a-metal-fan sort of noise. The first time I heard it I thought maybe I had caught a plastic bag or something and it was just stuck on the radiator... I looked all around and couldn't find anything... I mainly notice it in 1-3 gears, if RPM are kinda high, and I let off the throttle...

Anyone have any experience with this?? I plan on taking it to the dealer to look over if no-one here has any info...

Thanks,

ken

Allrighty, here's whats up....
I noticed this after my last dealer service, I was concerned about the service, cause they dealer had only done one other FJR and they didn't have any information on what the service entailed. They used the R1 service recomendations. of course, I was concerned, but it was a certified yammy dealer, and serivice center, and I have the YES, and I needed my service done before a weekend trip to Helen GA ( nice place)....

So I started noticing that when I compression brake, or just let off the throttle in the upper RPM bands, that I get a weird rattling/plastic-ziptie-in-a-metal-fan sort of noise. The first time I heard it I thought maybe I had caught a plastic bag or something and it was just stuck on the radiator... I looked all around and couldn't find anything... I mainly notice it in 1-3 gears, if RPM are kinda high, and I let off the throttle...

Anyone have any experience with this??  I plan on taking it to the dealer to look over if no-one here has any info...

Thanks,

ken
WTF? They can get the FJR data straight from Yammy in no time at all. The FJR is NOT an R1. Would you think it acceptable for them to use the specs for a XMax or cruiser when servicing your FJR? I'd walk back in there and be ready to make some heads roll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine make the same kinda noise.. I have never been able to tell/pin point it. To me it sounds like the plastic in the/around the front fairing. I have over 17000 on mine now, it's still there, but I don't let it bug me...Not much help, but your not the only one... :)

I've heard the exact same little rattle occasionally on my 3 month old '05. never have been able to pinpoint it.

I've just passed it off as the few marbles in my head being released from acceleration forces :haha:

I think I'd look closely at the lower front fairing for signs that the tire touched under full compression.

Err.sorry, scratch that, re-reading, it did it under roll off conditions also . . . .

sweet...

good to know others are doing it as well.. I was worried a bearing or something was rattling around ...

I'll keep trying to pinpoint it, but hard to get down near the front tire when your rollingoff at 5krpm in 3rd gear :ph34r:

Do you hear this just before the bike gets up to full op temp? Mine does this on decel, but it's just the cats warming up - kinda sounds like bb's in and empty soda can. Once warmed, the noise goes away.

I've not really considered the op temp when it makes the noise. I will check next time I ride and see if temp makes a difference.

plastic-ziptie-in-a-metal-fan sort of noise
Do you have ABS? Any chance some component has minor interference with the ABS "ring gear" (sorry, too tired to think of the right name for it).

Or is it possibly just exhaust noise on decel that's muffled by the too quiet exhaust system?

I too have noticed it with my 05' upon decel and braking. It does sound like plastic and I too have ABS. I just pretty much put it the side as I have not noticed any thing unusual............................rims becoming loose etc!

I used to worry about that infamous ticking and wife said suck it up and ride it like you want and if and when that tick comes up......................fix it! She comes from a riding family too and said if i worried about it coming on (the tick) I am only going to hear the ticking in my brains! Great attitude

Rico

I have had this same noise since new. I have yet to figure it out. It almost sounds like somthing is spinning in relation to the front tire speed. If you grap your front brake it sounds like it spins louder. I alway figured it was something to do with the ABS system. I have had the tires off the bike 3X and have yet to find the source. When someone does come up with an explaination please post it here.

TYVM

John

Do you all have stock mufflers? You would be surprised at the amount of popping/crackling/rattling coming off the D&D's on Frank with decel from any speed, especially cold. The stock muffs subdue it pretty well, but some aspect of the noise is bound to come through in one form or another.

Someone has come up with a Jake-Brake farkle??!?! Cool! :agent:

Having never ridden a scoot with abs I would surmise that it's the the abs system sensing and controlling the braking action.

ABS does nothing, nada, zilch until activated. And then, the sound is of an electric motor and valving, not "spinning" sounds. Another thought is the front brake pads. Always somewhat in contact with the rotors, and as a result the source of some noise, they will make more noise as pressure is increased. All brakes do this, I have never heard it as loudly as on Frank since I put the barn door shield on him.

My 05 as well...to me it sounds like the ABS reluctor ring (what it's called on some ABS-equipped vehicles) as it spins at higher RPM through the air, behind that black sheet-metal perforated 'guard' on the front wheel; I just assumed it created a vortex in there (given the tight clearances) resulting in the noise (?) Doesn't bother me, however.

Okie Dokie John. Frank has ABS, and he's never made any noise like what you guys are describing. But then, he knows better.... ;)