Strange Noice During Compression Braking...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too strange. Mine makes this noise after my 4000 mile dealer service and I was asking about it in another thread and was directed here.

This noise has nothing to do with braking whatsoever. It happens when the engine is decelerating and that's the only time I ever hear it. I do not hear it on idle or acceration.

What could they have messed with during service that would cause it to show up? I didn't have it before my service. Coincidence?

It's worse until the bike warms up.

-r

I don't know what they messed with but reading your other post it sounds like a classic description of a sloppy cam chain/weak cam chain adjuster.

I went on a long ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway on Fri and back south on Sat. On the way north, I occasionally heard this little noise that some are describing. I began to listen closely. I thought "Ah-Haa" there's something loose in the right mirror housing. Nope, that's not it.

Next "Ah-Haa" was the dealer's Yamaha Tag on the key chain flapping around between the handle bars. Nope, not that either.

I leaned down below the windshield to get in the "cone of silence." I've about decided that this strange little, intermittent noise is wind noise thru the fairing.

I have no other explanation.

XL8R .. I think we are talking about teh same noise then...

I'm not braking, still have stock exhaust, I notice it leaving the neighborhood when the motor is still cooler...I'll be going about 30 in 2nd gear, and let off the throttle, that's when I hear the noise... It sounds like someone poured BB's into the oil and its bounding around inside there. I'm taking it in for the 8000 mile service this week, so will tell the dealer to pay some extra attention to that noise ( Also going to a different dealer)

After riding around doing errands or just cruising, it doesn't make that noise again. So I believe it is a cool motor only situation, and maybe the oil just isn't lubricating or getting passed around well.

I'm going to try to get a soundclip of it if possible. I think if i plug my mp3 recorder to a microphone and tape it to the forks, it may get the noise...

I'll post if I get that to work right

:blink:

I've had the same symptoms as reported here since day one: Cold "engine brake" deceleration causes the rattle sound, which disappears after a mintue or two (when it gets warmed up). I've found that merely letting the bike warm up a few minutes before I take off completely solves the "problem." (This warm-up time is the only thing about the FJR that reminds me of my old Harley).

When I take the rpm's up to about 4000, I can hear what sounds like a plastic on plastic vibration.

It is not an irregular clickity sound like valve train noise or the dreaded tick as heard on the Holeshot site, but a low volume (can't hear it with earplugs in) vibration sound that is very even, almost like a smooth buzz.

I've checked the fairing fasteners and looked for a loose piece of plastic, but to no avail.

Looks like several of you have the same issue but no firm answers.

Thanks,

Ron

Today as I was riding, I again heard this elusive little rattle we've been discussing here. I had the shield full down and leaned down behind it to hear better and, guess what, the rattle was not there. I straightened up to get in the air stream and, guess what, it's back.

I've now about decided that it's something in my hlemet lock mechanism around my right ear...but it is intermittent. The helmet is an HJC flip-face. I'll do some checking tonite to see if I can locate this little rattle in the helmet.

Stay tuned.

Today as I was riding, I again heard this elusive little rattle we've been discussing here. I had the shield full down and leaned down behind it to hear better and, guess what, the rattle was not there. I straightened up to get in the air stream and, guess what, it's back.
I've now about decided that it's something in my hlemet lock mechanism around my right ear...but it is intermittent. The helmet is an HJC flip-face. I'll do some checking tonite to see if I can locate this little rattle in the helmet.

Stay tuned.
Sounds like a few screws loose in the ole noggin'! ;) :D Seriously, my Shoei RF1000 will make a slight rattle noise from where I have no idea. I think it's coming from one of the vents, but I can't find it - yet. I'm going to take painters tape and cover one vent at a time...

Had the same noise from new. took me months to figure it out, however, in Florida we can ride without helmets, I eventually traced the noise to the rivets on the floating rotors, they actually rattle a little when I apply the front brake.

Now have 17,500 miles and the same brake pads, and the same noise, it hasn't changed one bit.

I also notice the bike makes less nosie when I ride without a helmet and put the rifle screen all the way up, in fact, it is almost "noiseless" if there is ever the possibility.

Skippy

but it's just the cats warming up - kinda sounds like bb's in and empty soda can.
Ceramic as a higher expansion rate than the stainless steel in the exhaust system the cats expand when warm and the noise ceases. I used to hear it. Now I never hear it anymore cause I don't like revving the engine when cool and/or I've blocked it out.

but it's just the cats warming up - kinda sounds like bb's in and empty soda can.
Ceramic as a higher expansion rate than the stainless steel in the exhaust system the cats expand when warm and the noise ceases. I used to hear it. Now I never hear it anymore cause I don't like revving the engine when cool and/or I've blocked it out.
Hmmm, OK well, sounds good I guess but I wonder why some of us didn't hear it until about 4000 miles or so?

-r

I get the same sound on a hard roll off in 1st or 2nd gear, but only when the bike is cold. Once I've ridden a few minutes the sound is gone. To clarify, I'm not applying the brakes at all, just rolling off the throttle very quickly from about 4000rpm. Sounds just as everyone has described it: BBs or marbles, or tie wraps bouncing around in a metal skull... :)

So someone suggested today that it could be loose header bolts and after the bike heats up become tight and don't rattle anymore.

They said that this was an issue on quite a few Z1000s because the bolts were on the loose side from the factory.

Can't say that I've ever looked at mine. Don't even know what's down there. I do know that I never heard this sound before about 4K.

-r

I, too, hear this exact same sound, but only under hard engine decel and when the motor is cold.

I'm absolutely convinced the rattle is decel popping in the header area. The mufflers "muffle" so well, the sound is coming up through the fairing area around the triple tree.

I'm thinking the reason it happens only when the bike is cold is twofold:

1) The ECU is running the mixture rich, allowing more unburned fuel to enter the exhaust, and

2) The catalytic converter isn't heated up enough to burn off the rich mixture from #1.

First time I heard it, it scared the hell out of me.

I have the exact same symptoms on the 04 as Howie

Only happens when cold and on a hard decel (there is a steep hill with a hard sandy corner when leaving the office building). Don't like the sound, but I'm kinda used to it now.

OK,

After the 8,000 mile service, I noticed that the cold idle was set noticibly higher on the bike. The cold decel "rattling" noise has completely disappeared!

FWIW

OK,
After the 8,000 mile service, I noticed that the cold idle was set noticibly higher on the bike. The cold decel "rattling" noise has completely disappeared!

FWIW
Higher, like what? Mine's been at 2k rpm since new.

Bounce,

I'll have to look. I just noticed the sound and feel, I didn't look at the tach. But it is significantly higher than it was before the 8k service. I'll try to get that later today and post.