Streetmasters November class (long post)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin
Reaction score
Streetmasters - November 2006

What a weekend! We’re still coming down to earth after celebrating Andy’s return to riding by taking a Precision Cornering Workshop.

The weekend got off to a bad start. Need I even mention Los Angeles traffic? Once we got onto the 14 Freeway, it was definitely time to pull off and take a break. Chevron’s gas station looked like a good place but we were oh so wrong. This huge place had no restrooms, and a parking area that sloped in all directions. After finally extricating both bikes, we opted to move on. Rather than challenging six lanes of traffic, we turned onto the side street with a view to making a u-turn then using the light to cross the main road. Smart eh? Way to be safe? Wrong again. Andy initiated a gentle turn at the entrance to a cemetery. There was standing water on the corner – cleverly disguising the ages-old algae underneath. It whipped the BMW’s front tire away in no time flat, and down he went. His first drop in thirty years. The fairing got scraped, the side bag was scraped too and the end of the brake lever broke off. Thank goodness that he was OK and the damage to the bike was minor.

After this upset, it was a relief to get safely to the hotel. We wanted nothing more than a hot shower and to relax. Check in was a joke! The two elderly clerks were taking at least ten minutes per customer, and there was a long line of people waiting. At last, we got a room and schlepped our gear upstairs. The occupant of the room was VERY surprised to see us when we opened the door. Back to the reception to complain. Thankfully, Streetmaster’s Jan was at the desk. Her great PR skills defused the situation. We found our very well appointed, comfortable room and thoroughly enjoyed that long awaited hot shower.

The hotel provided free food for Happy Hour, in the bar. Together with the great company of fellow students and the instructors, it made for a very pleasant evening. I was promised that the laws of physics would be temporarily suspended for the class, allowing me to do U-turns with ease. (I’m guessing that this instructor is a successful salesman for his day-job).

Saturday morning dawned, sometime after we got on the road. I had dressed for a blistering hot day in the desert. Thirty four degrees didn’t impress me one little bit. Andy’s BMW control panel flashed an Ice Warning.

Breakfast was a warm, cozy convivial occasion. We met with the instructors and some other students at a hole in the wall café, near the track. The food was good, the company was great. The day was off to a good start.

Once at the track, the slick, professional way that this workshop was put together was demonstrated to us. Every single detail was planned with care. Riders were assigned to groups with four similar bikes to each instructor. Marking on the parking lot plus explicit directions arranged for the groups of bikes to be parked together. I’d expected to be with Andy, since we ride similar bikes. Instead, I was grouped with two GSX-Rs and a V-Strom. I was glad that I’d already met the Irishman who rode the V-Strom, at breakfast.

Food and drinks were provided at check in. Safety gear was inspected, and helmet identifiers were passed out. Each group had a different color of duct tape, with front and back labels for the helmets. Your instructor knew your name whichever way he/she saw you. There was to be no anonymity here.

The team was introduced to the class, detailing their vast amount of experience in the motorcycling industry. If it’s been done with a motorcycle, at least one of these guys has done it. If all their years of experience were totaled, you might expect them to look a lot older than they did. These are the people who ride and teach because they love it, and it shows.

After the classroom session, the groups were led in order to the track. Half of the forty participants started on the practice pad while the other half went to the track. Instructions were given in a very similar way to the MSF classes. That’s probably not a coincidence, since many of the instructors have MSF experience. The instructions were clear, concise and easy to follow.

I believe that all the instructors were in radio contact with each other and the track marshals all day. In whatever quiet and understated manner they did it, the team made everything run very smoothly.

Looking at the track, and my riding buddies, I felt quite intimidated but instructor Doug put me at ease. We did two laps of the Horsethief Mile following the instructor. The speed limit was 25mph, with no shifting and no braking. I managed that for all but one turn. He showed the line, with the delayed apex and we followed. Sharp head turns were emphasized, to negotiate the very tight turns on the track. In addition to a variety of turns, there were drastic changes in elevation too.

After two laps, the instructor fell in behind the lead rider to observe for two laps. That rider then dropped to the back of the group while the instructor rode behind the next rider, and so on. When we’d all had a chance to lead, we pulled off the track for a critique of our performance.

Each subsequent session, the speed limit was increased, to a maximum of 45mph, using gears and brakes as needed. As our skills improved, we got faster through the turns. Several times, we caught up with the group in front of us, riding Goldwings. We’d pull off the track for a few moments, and then go chase them. This was SOOOOOO much fun. I didn’t realize how much faster we were going, since diverting eyes from road to speedometer was not an option. When the foot pegs on my FJR scraped on the track, I knew it was leaned over further than ever before. I had vowed that if any part of this bike scraped the road while I was riding, I’d be rolling along the road soon afterwards. Not so. Using the skills I’d learned, I was able to keep the line and right the bike, over and over again. It was nerve wracking though. During the critique, Doug explained how using a better line would help to prevent the scraping.

After a break, the two groups traded places. Our group worked on smooth transition from gas to brakes to gas. The take home point was that all manipulation of the controls must be done well before the bike is tipped into the lean. Once the lean is initiated, you should be on the gas.

Before we knew it, the whole morning had flown by. It was lunch time. We all crowded under the shade shelter to get out of the rain and the wind. The weather was nasty during the time that we were eating, but faired up nicely when we were ready to ride.

The lunch was just perfect. Subway sandwiches were provided, with hot and cold drinks. The food was light enough not to send us all to sleep but there were enough choices to please the heartiest of appetites. Every detail was attended to, even down to having baby wipes available for us picky people that like to eat with clean hands.

The whole Streetmasters operation is highly refined. They have obviously edited the event over and over again, to perfection. The coaching is of the highest standard. Instructors encourage and teach, with an intimidation factor of nil. Anecdotes and funny stories are shared with students. The love for motorcycling flows freely throughout the group, teachers and pupils alike. Several ‘Workshop Moms’ are on scene, anticipating and providing for every need. They are all either riders, or married to riders. Their presence added tremendously to the event. My husband and I felt privileged to have personal attention from the staff, who addressed us by name. Later, I realized that this is the way that all the participants are treated. As I said, this is a very smooth and well run event. These guys really know what they are doing.

After lunch, there was another session on the track then more practice pad exercises. It took me several times around for me, to get the figure eight, and I never did manage all the cones. Each time, the patient instructors offered advice with a smile.

We practiced braking safely, keeping the bike under control and not locking tires. Those with anti-locks were encouraged to use them. Each stop was completed alongside an instructor, who offered pointers where needed. Once again, only positive encouragement was offered. All of the instructors are skilled in getting their point across gently.

Last of all was the graduation lap. This really threw me off. We went around the track clockwise, instead of anti clockwise. Riders were sent out in pairs, with an instructor. For the first two laps, the instructor followed one of the riders, and then two laps behind the second rider. I was lost! I couldn’t even keep up with my buddies because the track was SO different. Thankfully, I’ve learned the mantra ‘Ride Your Own Ride’, which I did, carefully selecting the lines according to what we’d learned. My speed picked up once I got my bearings. Favorable comments from the instructor made me happy and then it was play time. Any rider, who wanted to do more laps, was invited to do so.

I planned on doing just one more lap, then just one more. Well perhaps another ONE. Andy joined the group, in front of me so I followed him for a few laps. I felt very proud to be able to keep his pace with comfort and ease. After he turned off for the pits, I took just one more lap, or three. After a while, I realized that I was getting tired and a little cocky. It was time to get off the track; time to quit while the going was good.

The evening air was starting to chill. Certificates were presented. T-shirts were bought. Addresses and hugs were exchanged. A lot of friendships began in that parking lot. We posed for a group photo and one participant suggested that all the women kneel down in front of the men. We knew what he meant but it didn’t come out quite that way.

Back to the hotel for another, very welcome, hot shower. Some riders had gone home but those who stayed congregated in the bar for a wonderful evening of swapping bike stories. Friendships were renewed and cemented. Grandiose plans were made for future rides. This was one of those treasured evenings where happy memories are made and savored.

And still…. The weekend was not over. Sunday morning began as slowly and gently as Sunday mornings ought to. Those who wanted to, slept late. Instructors Walt and Nancy invited us to join them for breakfast and the ride home. What could be better? We thoroughly enjoyed a delicious meal while chatting with great people. From there, we rode home via Angeles Forest and Angeles Crest Highways.

The last time I rode Angeles Crest was with white knuckles, a feeling of impending doom and no appreciation whatsoever for the spectacular scenery. This time everything was different. It was a gentle, relaxed ride yet with enough turns to be exhilarating. During a rest break, Walt and Nancy offered advice to the three riders, which was greatly appreciated. How many classes offer personal tuition during the ride home? I was able to see how a master rider navigates the turns, and emulate the lines he used. I’m sure we took the road faster than my white knuckle ride, but this time there was a feeling of complete control. I had tools to work with.

I’m sure you can tell from the above, just how highly I recommend Streetmasters to any motorcyclist. Andy has offered his advice: If you think you need to take a class like this, take it. If you think that you DON’T need this class, take it twice.

Thanks for the thorough and interesting report.

Do you have a web address for Streetmasters?

cpsfjr, try this one.

Just curious..... where was the class held?
Jackson, the course is held at Willow Springs Raceway just North of Lancaster Ca. They use the "Horsethief Mile" course (one of 3 road courses at the facility).

Jill, congratulations to you both! Sorry to hear of Andy's less-than-gracefull U-turn. It sounds like you had as good a weekend as everyone who has taken the course. No matter how many times one reads about the people involved, its still unbelievable that they are so nice and approachable. Of course, we didn't get a private tutoring session, but we followed a course that Walt and Nancy suggested....and they were right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silver Penguin,

Thanks for your report. I was on the waiting list for this class but nobody dropped. I'll have to sign up for a subsequent class. I was hoping to be able to meet you two. Well, we'll save that for another day.

Your report along with some kudos from other riders that have attended Streetmasters has convinced me to attend the class. I really look forward to it!

Andrew

A wonderful writeup indeed, Silver Penguin! This is definately a "must do" workshop, and my thanks to MM2 and others who recommended it...

My own experience with this weekend's workshop mirrored yours, including droppng my bike in a U-turn (only mine was during pad practice! Fortunately the bruse to my ego is starting to fade :p ). The class certainly expanded my riding "comfort zone", and the learning experience was so much fun that it's no surprise how many people in that day's workshop had taken the class before. If I didn't live so far away (it was a 900 mile weekend for me), I'd considering taking the class again. A repeated critique from this quality of instructors would certainly be worthwhile.

I was also pleased at the number of women represented (12 out of the 40 participants). I guess my wife would claim that it shows how much smarter women riders are than men :D .

And I am in awe of Andy's recovery (we were in the same track group) and pleased to have at last made his acquaintance. For it wasn't just the instuctors who made this workshop outstanding, but also the people taking the class. I met no one there I didn't like (I guess maybe I just didn't give it enough time ;) ).

Cheers...

Took the class last year - it was a great time. well worth the expense. Toward tthe end of the day when I was feeling somewhat confident from the days activities, it certainly was a humbling experience when they reversed the direction - I (we) were all over the track! Oh well -

Does anyone know if they have a course like this on the right coast ?
No, there isn't. The track they use is unique to the Willow Springs "Horsethief Mile", with the elevation changes and differing radii turns.

Streetmaster's have tried to find other venues to match (or come close to) the current track....porque nada.

PHOTO'S -- we need pics.
I wish I had more photos to share, but it was just too dang distracting to take pictures while on the track! :D
However, there was a journalist and photographer from Motorcycles.com who were there for the day to cover the workshop for an upcoming article. Meanwhile, for those who can't wait, I did snap a few pics for the curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
OOOooooo!!!

Excellent write-up. Thanks!

I have to admit to getting a little more than "just excited" while reading about motorcycles, showers, motorcycles, showers, group laps, fast laps...

That may be just enough temptation to make a pervert like me fly to CA and rent me something to ride.

P.S. Please excuse me, It's late and I should have logged off hours ago!

:)

If anybody finds something similar east of the Mississippi and south of that Manson-Nixon line, please share.

Thanks for the thorough and interesting report.
https://www.streetmasters.info/

There are no classes in the winter, but I believe they are taking reservations for next Spring.

Jill

PHOTO'S -- we need pics.
I wish I had more photos to share, but it was just too dang distracting to take pictures while on the track! :D
However, there was a journalist and photographer from Motorcycles.com who were there for the day to cover the workshop for on upcoming article. Meanwhile, for those who can't wait, I did snap a few pics for the curious.

You snapped our pic! In the photo of the graduation ride briefing - DH is closest to the camera, in black leathers and I'm wearing pink, holding my new red T-shirt.

DH mentioned that there was an FJR went down - and now shows bruises just like mine, on bags and fairing. Must admit that I didn't have the cojones to do a good job on that U-turn from a standstill, and I didn't get through the cones. One day, I will develop those skills on a not so top-heavy bike, or at least one that I don't mind if it falls over.

Jill

What an awesome job of gettin it all down in print, and with flair and feeling too. I could almost feel the chicken strips scrubbin off the tires.