Streetmasters November class (long post)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great write up as usual SP ! Bikes put away for the year here now, between that, your write up and NightShine's photos I'm ready to relocate west. Thank you both for sharing your experiences.

If you think you need to take a class like this, take it. If you think that you DON’T need this class, take it twice.
Excellent write-up. I really liked your closing comment. It was perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to look into Reg Pridmore's CLASS. I took it in OCT and could not have been happier. Lot's of instructor availability but, it might be higher speed.CLASS
I took the Pridmore CLASS school at Infineon in October, and I have to say I was disappointed. Let me start by saying that I did learn many things from Reg Pridmore that I now apply every day. I had read his book ahead of the track school, so together with the track school, here are my lessons learned:

• Don't be afraid to run your bike close to the redline.
  • Erring on the side of lower gears for your speed (closer to the redline) provides immediate access to engine braking and acceleration.
  • Pull your clutch in only a third of its throw.
  • Ride on your toes.
  • Confidence is a form of ego. When feeling over-confident, re-focus.
  • Don't just apply the brakes smoothly; release them smoothly too.
  • You can always be smoother.
  • Don't pull the clutch in right when you brake; get the benefit of engine braking.
But as a school for motorcycling, conducted at a racetrack, I was disappointed in a number of ways:
  • There was little or no link between the classroom sessions and the track activities. We were pretty much sent off and left to our own devices on the track.
  • There was no organized interaction with the "instructors." No one ever approached me or attempted to, in the classroom or related to the track. Frankly, I don't know why they had so many "instructors." They never taught the class (except the guy in the next bullet down), and on the track they just blasted on by everyone else having a blast--better than working for a living (see video; guys in red).
  • The classroom sessions were ad hoc and disorganized. During one session one of the "instructors" just kinda rambled off the top of his head to no specific end.
  • How can I maintain credibility in a school that tells me it doesn't believe in counter-steering or hanging off (with its attendant impact on center of gravity)? Does Reg also not believe in gravity?
  • I was never asked to provide formal feedback, which every outfit does that's interested in continual improvement.
If I had it to do over again, I would just have read his book (which is also somewhat disorganized, and spends a lot of ink on self-promotion) and gone on my own to a track day without instruction.
Here's my vid of the circuit (that's Reg himself blasting by everyone with a girl on the back--$25 a ride):

Infineon

It was a fun, worthwhile day. It just wasn't a well-organized learning experience for my $400.

JB

While I agree with some of your post JB; there are other areas that I don't. I took CLASS in October at Barber. They were clear from the start that the instructors were "available" if you wanted to work on something. I took advantage of that and got some really good insight into my riding technique. The caveat was that I had to seek them out. I think for the most part, they are safety officers. They have a sweet gig w/o a doubt. They were helpful when I asked them and I found them to be quite approachable.

The instructors did not offer opinions unless they saw a safety issue. They hit it on the head at the end of my class when they warned about making a last "Superman" run. A guy on a K series Beemer bit it in the chicanes when he blew his entry. Totalled bike and cost the B group their last run. His Aerostitch worked great though.

A guy on a K series Beemer bit it in the chicanes when he blew his entry. Totalled bike and cost the B group their last run. His Aerostitch worked great though.
What's the deal with your insurance in a circumstance like that? He was taking a skills class, rather than racing but would he be covered?

Jill

Most insurance will not cover you during any track event. He "might" be able to push the issue of skills, but at some point is should become obvious that he wasn't working on skills but sweeing how FAST he could go. Rider induced single vehicle accident...whoops!