Stubborn 2005 front axle removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's actually overtightened that severely should he be concerned about wheel bearings?
No matter how tight the axle is the wheel bearings should be OK. The only pressure from tightening the axle is on the inner bearning races (a ring of hardened steel). Extra torque on the axle will not compress the balls/rollers within the wheel bearing.

My vote--some idot used Loctight on the axle threads--heat the bottom of the fork to brake the bond.

I keep a steel post driver (3" x 3') in the corner of the garage. Amazing how many times I use it as a "cheater". Ian, Iowa

Since this is a related thread... Anyone have any issues getting the front axle threaded fully back on? Mine seems to seize up with about a half inch still sticking out the right side of the fork... It is threading in but then will not continue... using a 19mm bolt and two nuts on it along with a decent sized wrench.... maybe I just need to find a breaker bar that will work?

Since this is a related thread... Anyone have any issues getting the front axle threaded fully back on? Mine seems to seize up with about a half inch still sticking out the right side of the fork... It is threading in but then will not continue... using a 19mm bolt and two nuts on it along with a decent sized wrench.... maybe I just need to find a breaker bar that will work?
I know it's obvious, but do you have the pinch bolt loose enough?

Info - Gen 2 has a 22 mm "bolt" of sorts threaded into the axle on the left side, and the opening for a 19mm hex driver on the right side.

I suspect loctite was used, therefore the tapping and heat should help break it loose, and a longer lever can't hurt IMHO.

I was able to get the Axle flush by using a second wrench for more leverage. I didn't like how tight it was though, I will borrow a torque wrench and check it this week. Re-installed locking bolt on right side.

I was able to get the Axle flush by using a second wrench for more leverage. I didn't like how tight it was though, I will borrow a torque wrench and check it this week. Re-installed locking bolt on right side.
Mine goes in with just a 3/8 ratchet and little force. Did you inspect the threads on both the axle and the fork leg to make sure they are not damaged? Was there any sign of thread locker or other 'stuff' on the threads?

No thread locker was used but the threads on the axle did not look great unfortunately. Some of them were a little flat on top, perhaps torqued too tight in the past. A new axle is $40 which I will consider. Probably messed up the fork threads too.