stuff you always have with you and where do you keep it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CODan

Reaction score
I'm a dirt bike rider in the CO mountains and there are some things that are permanently on my bike for every ride.

Here's a description: DBG tool recommendations

I realize that the needs of a street biker are very different, but surely there are things that any well prepared FJR rider should always be carrying.

So far I have:

1) appropriate riding gear

- jacket, boots, gloves, helmet, ...

- rain gear

- within a month this will include warmer gear as winter is coming

2) flat repair

- slime compressor

- string flat kit

3) tools

- right now I have the standard Yamaha tool kit but I'll replace and augment that with perhaps better and more tools

4) cell phone

Some questions:

1) But the above has to be very incomplete. I don't want to carry all the tools, etc. for doing anything and everything, but what SHOULD I carry as sort of the minimum?

2) How about extra little parts for the bike? fuses obviously but anything else?

3) Finally, where do you carry this stuff? Right now I have a NR tank bag that carries my rain suit, etc. but I think I'll need more room. I don't want to HAVE to use the saddlebags. I think I'll probably end up just making a bag to go on my seat or luggage rack.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a dirt bike rider in the CO mountains and there are some things that are permanently on my bike for every ride.
>snip<

3) Finally, where do you carry this stuff? Right now I have a NR tank bag that carries my rain suit, etc. but I think I'll need more room. I don't want to HAVE to use the saddlebags. I think I'll probably end up just making a bag to go on my seat or luggage rack.

Thanks.
I've got a slime compressor, and string tire repair kit under the seat. I also have extra fuses, some wire ties, electrical tape, connectors, etc... in a ziplock bag next to the slime compressor kit (that pretty much fills the underseat space along with the Yamaha toolkit). Nothing too fancy - just the basics.

Under/behind the pillon seat I have some extra earplugs, a bungy net, and a "bubblewrap" bag I stash my radar detector in if I want to lock it away while I don't have the saddlebags. I was happy to see how much room I had under the seats in the FJR. If rain threatens - I use the bungy net to stash raingear on the pillon seat.

Cellphone, wallet, and extra key in my jacket - and I'm good to go pretty much anywhere even with the bags left in the garage.

I'm sorry but I know I'm in the minority here (or the silent majority).

I NEVER carry:

more tools than what is in the standard toolkit that comes with the bike

a tire repair kit or compressor

I always carry

appropriate riding gear

a cell phone

I know I shouldn't say this but in 42 years of riding - over 400K miles (including early dirt bike days)

I never had a mechanical breakdown that I could have fixed (the only breakdown was on a wing when the alternator brushes wore out)

I never had a catastrophic blow out or tire go so flat so I couldn't ride it.

These aren't experimental machines. I don't doubt that some riders have experienced problems on the road. I just don't think the odds are so great that I should carry a tool chest with me or worry about flat tires.

I always carry a Surefire LED Flashlight, a high quality Knife (Emerson Tactical), and a Windmill lighter in addition to some of the items you mentioned. A high quality light should always be with you, a knife can not only save your life, but allow you to get a meal, and flame is needed in many emergency situations.

Things in my tool tray:

3/8 drive ratchet, extentions & sockets

1/4 drive ratchet, extentions & sockets

Combo large/small phillips/slotted screwdriver

Allen key set

6" adjustable wrench

Double box end offset 10mm & 12mm wrench

Here's pic:

1stLayer.jpg

This pic is with the Wallymart air compressor (without case) on top of tools:

CaselessAirCompressor-TheFinalLayer.jpg

And a tire repair kit in the tailsection:

TireRepairPlacement.jpg

I also ride with a Nelson-Rigg Magnetic Tank Bag (sorry no pic available) that has fuses, tire gauge, needlenose pliers, mini screwdriver, mini box cutter, mini 12v test light, 9 led flashlight, electric tape, assorted zip ties, a mini first aid kit, side stand coaster, my gloves & sunglasses.

All this without the side cases mounted!

.... a knife can not only save your life, but allow you to get a meal......
Maybe I'll start keeping McDonalds coupons on the bike... ;)

Plus....I'll strap a 1 iron to the seat. It'll help keep me safe from cagers because "EVEN GOD CAN'T HIT A ONE IRON". :yahoo:

I always carry a tire repair kit, the FJR tools, Spare key, earplugs, Surefire flashlight, zip-ties, eyewash kit, first aid kit, Battery tender, and a cell phone plug cord. I also carry a cell phone, unless I forget to Zip my pocket, like NAFO trip.

I always carry a Surefire LED Flashlight, a high quality Knife (Emerson Tactical), and a Windmill lighter in addition to some of the items you mentioned. A high quality light should always be with you, a knife can not only save your life, but allow you to get a meal, and flame is needed in many emergency situations.
Ya just never know when the next nuclear winter will come & the menfolk will have to hunt & gather

I've got a tool set from Lowes.

Dunno why. Hell if I know how to use 'em.

Sticky string and some other tire plug kit.

First time I use 'em I'll look like an idiot on the side of the road reading the directions.

Slime compressor.

Neat little gizmo.

All that is just thrown into the Givi trunk.

Why do I carry this crap?

'Cause if I have it, I won't need it.

Oh - one other thing.

A spare pack of smokes.

Simple really, the bigger the trailer you haul the bike on, the more stuff you can carry, like big tents, coolers, flyfishing gear, queensize inflatable beds. I'd recommend a 12 footer, then you can even bring a generator and a BBQ!

C

I know I shouldn't say this but in 42 years of riding - over 400K miles (including early dirt bike days)I never had a mechanical breakdown that I could have fixed (the only breakdown was on a wing when the alternator brushes wore out)

I never had a catastrophic blow out or tire go so flat so I couldn't ride it.
Well, I've had breakdowns, but those were a piece-of-crap that I'd just rebuilt, as I was a starving student, and yes, I've never had a breakdown that I would have been able to carry tools to fix, even if someone had told me "$FOO will break down this trip" beforehand.

However, I've had a couple of flats, and since it's simple to pull out a nail, do a string-plug, and run the compressor for a while, AND small compressors are now available that fit under the seat, I carry one. Besides running out of gas (which is my own damn fault) that's the major issue I see cropping up.

Since I've had a cell phone ruined because of rain, and T-Mobile tried to ass-rape me for it anyways, I no longer carry one.

Things in my tool tray:
[ton 'o shite listed]
So I gotta question for everyone... how do you expect to work on an FJR by the side of the road? You can't get to even the sparkplugs w/o 15-20 minutes work, and it's going to be fun keeping track of all the plastic & fastener doo-dads. I mean, on my SV, a Hardley, or a Beemer, the engine's right there, but if my FJR conked out and it wasn't electrical, I wouldn't even think about it. Are people seriously suggesting it's possible? Or are all the tools just there for the warm fuzzies and mainly symbolic?

I carry the flash light cause I tent to drop crap like my keys at night. The Docs still haven't released me to carry a knife yet.

a six pack of beer and a box of condoms
Maybe its just the ladies I see but you only have six beers. What are you gonna do hit them in the head with them to get to the Condom part of the night? :assassin:

Some good advise so far. If I'm on an extended trip, I usually always carry a set of small/medium vise grips, spare brake and clutch levers, and a small tube of J-B weld. And yes, I've had to use them before. :(

Cheers!

Some good advise so far. If I'm on an extended trip, I usually always carry a set of small/medium vise grips, spare brake and clutch levers, and a small tube of J-B weld. And yes, I've had to use them before. :(
Cheers!
You know not to use the JB Weld on the Condoms right?

Always have? I don't load up on tools unless I am taking a trip..same goes for tire repair kit and pump (I do have Ride-On in my tires)

I always carry a clean micro-fiber cloth and a small can of Plexus. There is also a tiny pump bottle of soapy water in the glove box. Nothing worse than hitting a giant bug and having it's guts blocking your vision with nothing to clean in off (your windshield or visor)

I always carry a knife..bike or not. So Cell phone, ID and credit cards are the things I take with me allways. Sometimes my gun....

Most of the other stuff listed comes and goes according to how long the ride will be.

KM