Stupid helmet headset question...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chivvalry

Reaction score
Okay... so I've spent a little time looking at all the gadgets out there but all I want is a headset with microphone that will work in my helmet and plug into my Droid. At this point I dont want (or rather cant afford) a full starcom like set up... I just want a headset with microphone so I can hear music, take calls, hear the GPS, etc. on the Droid.

If I get something like this:

Starcom1 Helmet Headset

...is there a connector adapter or something that will work so I can plug it into the 3.5mm jack on the Droid?

Anyone have a suggestion?

If I get something like this:
Starcom1 Helmet Headset

...is there a connector adapter or something that will work so I can plug it into the 3.5mm jack on the Droid?
Yes, likely an adapter that the exact Starcom dealer you linked to would be able to help. Call Jeff and ask.
Have you looked at a throat mic headset combo? Ive been thinking of getting one for use with my cell. The throat mike completely eliminates background noise as it uses the vibrations of your vocal cords and not a microphone. You can find them with 3.5mm plugs. Just google it.

Evidently there is not an adapter to go to a 3.5mm jack for that particular headset... and there was no alternative offered other than buying the starcom1 advance kit for $250.

It also appears that unless you are buying a starcom Jeff at bikeeffects isn't going to be too helpful. I'm hoping he's more personable on the phone than in email. He's probably just busy or something but, frankly, I feel somewhat snubbed.

Have you looked at a throat mic headset combo? Ive been thinking of getting one for use with my cell. The throat mike completely eliminates background noise as it uses the vibrations of your vocal cords and not a microphone. You can find them with 3.5mm plugs. Just google it.
I would rather not have something pressing directly on my throat... I like the idea of a helmet mounted mic and speakers as it gets put on with the same motion as normal... you put on your helmet. The only addition is plugging in.

I have heard that throat mics are excellent though...