Sturgis 2017 Anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUtah

Reaction score
Well, seeing as how Photobucket has demolished the previous documentation of "MNFJR05, Living with the Harley-Dite Tribe" expedition documentation from ohh so many years ago, your intrepid explorer will be joined by his son this year to explore the evolution of the Harley-Dite Tribe in their natural habitat at Sturgis 2017. If any other of you thrill seeking explorers run across a pack of Harley-Dites in the Black Hills being stalked and documented by an older gentleman and a young whippersnapper who look completely out of place....that will be us! It will be a short trip, in Friday and escaping Monday. We pray for great weather and a safe encounter. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for a NEW "MNFJR05 & Son, Living with the Harley-Dite Tribe" expedition report. We have a fix on BigJohn's lair and will be visiting him in the wild.

Im going out with bot my dad and son, 3 generation trip out there, Should be fun! Im the only FJR though.

Bounce,

You apparently missed the first 3 installments...there were to put it mildly, a parody of the entire event. Knowing myself, I can safely assume the next installments will be a continuation in the same genre of reporting. I am allowing the boy to attend with me only because it appears this is going to be an estimated sub 400K attended rally, which means it will really be a sub 300K rally in reality.

juniorfjr,

As for "young scantily clad women" I can assure you that based on my previous attendance at said venue, there will be many, many "scantily clad women", but fewer and fewer "young scantily clad women." As each year passes I see far more women who should not be "scantily clad" and would be much better served by a turtleneck...or a burqua. It is still one of the great locations for people watching and I will do my best to bring you a slightly twisted view of the happenings on the South Dakota hills next weekend.

It took me seven times to decided I didn't want to go again. 6 on Yamaha’s and one on a Norton.
Slow learner, eh?
rolleyes.gif

Anybody that comes will find Festar and I at the Memphis Shades Truck parked behind J&P Cycles store on Lazelle St between 7th and 8th. We are actually facing Main Street but you have to enter from the Alley between 7th and 8th. Free parking in their lot.

I had a co-worker in the early 2000 who went with "a friend". They bought all new bandanas, chaps, leather vests & jackets, boots (all black of course). They flew there, got a rental car, drove from the airport into Sturgis, and stood around all week.

Last edited by a moderator:
... and were seen singing:

Young man, there's no need to feel down.
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground.
I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town
There's no need to be unhappy.

Young man, there's a place you can go.
I said, young man, when you're short on your dough.
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time.

Been riding 45 years, 20 years of it riding a Panhead and have never been to the "event". I finally rode thru there in 2008 after the first NAFO in Golden a week before the "event" and could tell I was glad I never did.

Never have done well in crowds, I feel a bit out of place and get a bit nervous just doing our little forum deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to some pictures and a ride report!!

Went to Ohio Bike Week this past year. Rode out in a small group away from the event during the day, and rode in and people watched at night.

Hopefully Jack Daniels management were saving the "thin" girls for the tent in Sturgis.