Suggested shortcuts for coolant change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just drain it, then start the engine and run until steam stops shooting out. Never any problems.

I had always been taught to use distilled water:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deionized_water

Distilled water is water that has many of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container.

instead of de-ionized/demineralized water:

...deionization produces a high purity water that is generally similar to distilled water... deionization does not significantly remove uncharged organic molecules, viruses or bacteria, except by incidental trapping in the resin....Deionization does not remove the hydroxide or hydronium ions from water. These are the products of the self-ionization of water to equilibrium and therefore are impossible to remove.

i don't know if those differences are significant to a cooling system, but it does mean there are differences.

I had always been taught to use distilled water:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deionized_water

Distilled water is water that has many of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container.

instead of de-ionized/demineralized water:

...deionization produces a high purity water that is generally similar to distilled water... deionization does not significantly remove uncharged organic molecules, viruses or bacteria, except by incidental trapping in the resin....Deionization does not remove the hydroxide or hydronium ions from water. These are the products of the self-ionization of water to equilibrium and therefore are impossible to remove.

i don't know if those differences are significant to a cooling system, but it does mean there are differences.

I manage an environmental chemistry laboratory... The deionized water that I use is actually ultrapure water that starts as softened tap water, runs through a distillation unit, through a carbon cartridge to remove organics, a triple mixed bed ion exchange resin to remove ANY dissolved trace elements and finally through a 0.2 µm filter to remove all particulates/micro-organisms. Lets just say it far exceeds any water requirements (for any purpose). I would recommend that you use commercially available distilled water or commercial "reverse osmosis water". This applies to batteries as well as coolant.

Edit: Not saying that anything near what I am using is even faintly necessary - just available (to me) for free. RO water or distilled would have a suitably low concentration of dissolved minerals which is what you should use for the application. Hard water will kill a battery and may cause scale buildup in the cooling system.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to the days of pissing in the overflow tank to top off? We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto!

Other forums advocate the use of silicate free coolant as the only stuff for motorcycles..... the Yamaha service manual says 'High quality ethylene glycol for aluminum engines'........ are we all using silicate free or is it necessary? Prestone in the US labels theirs silicate free (the pink stuff), but not here....

I definitely won't use Dex-cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other forums advocate the use of silicate free coolant as the only stuff for motorcycles..... the Yamaha service manual says 'High quality ethylene glycol for aluminum engines'........ are we all using silicate free or is it necessary? Prestone in the US labels theirs silicate free (the pink stuff), but not here....

I definitely won't use Dex-cool.
I used Preston from Wally and distilled water.