Suicide Knob

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After playing around with several ideas, I'm leaning toward doing something similar to the 4" bar ends on my mountain bike. They would take the place of the bar end weights on the FJR, and would probably weigh about the same.

Still thinkin'.

Gary

darksider #44

I am confused and concerned. Are you considering extending the bar ends so you can install a "suicide knob" to each end? Or are you simply extending the bar ends so you can rest your hands farther out?

I have driven tractors, fork lifts, and boats with a suicide knob installed. In each case it looked like a great idea and turned out to be something that was in the way and actually gave less control. The knob was a liability when smoothness and precision was required. In EVERY chemical plant and refinery where I have worked, suicide knobs are strictly forbidden on any piece of equipment. I nearly had to replace the hydraulic steering on a brand new 24 foot BlazerBay because it was "binding" and jerky. Turns out none of us could drive smoothly with "The Knob". Yet, we were all drawn to it like moths to a flame.

I know you are a clever guy, I ask if you have thought this through? If you should crash what will the insurance company think of The Knob? I would hate to lose such a valuable forum member to the Asphalt Grinder.

I think he is talking about mounting some of these,

commutbars.jpg

only pointing backwards so he can impale himself on them when he gets in an accident.

Bad idea, Gary.

If your back is that bad, just stack two pair of risers on it and you'll be sitting up like an Old Wing rider.

Last edited by a moderator:

commutbars.jpg

only pointing backwards so he can impale himself on them when he gets in an accident...
If he wears a darkside tyre around his middle he should be protected just fine.

(I see it's on the internet now...so it must be true)

commutbars.jpg

only pointing backwards so he can impale himself on them when he gets in an accident.

Bad idea, Gary.

If your back is that bad, just stack two pair of risers on it and you'll be sitting up like an Old Wing rider.
FWIW, I replaced my Goldwing with an FJR because the bolt upright riding position on the 'wing hurt my back. I've got degenerative disk disease in my lower back, and sitting is about the worst thing I can do. So, of course, my favorite hobby involves sitting for hours on end.

On the 'wing, a 400-mile day required a back brace. On the ZRX it didn't. That got me to thinking I needed a more sport-oriented riding position, and the FJR so far has not hurt my back at all. I've not done any 700-mile all-freeway days yet, but I'm in high hopes I won't require the brace anymore.

commutbars.jpg

Bad idea, Gary.

Hey Fred

The picture you chose is correct. That's indeed what I'm considering. As I play with this idea, the first shot at it will be temporary, just to see how it feels. There are hundreds of these bar ends available in various colors, shapes and sizes. I don't know at this point if I'll even like them or keep them, it's just an idea. I'll try just using the ones off my mountain bike for now.

My back is just fine, Fred. Most of my riding is around town and I'm not on the bike more than 45 minutes at a time. However, when I'm traveling, EVERYTHING gets stiff after several hours in the saddle, from my neck to my knees. I've found at least 5 different ways to sit on my Corbin (though recently I switched to a Sergeant) and I'm no different than any other rider. Ya gets a little stiff when yer ridin' all day. That's why we appreciate getting off the bike for a stretch every couple hours. As I said, once in a while on long rides, I like to shift to a little different position. Sorta the same reason that many have purchased forward mounted pegs... by the way, for all you safety nuts, it could be argued that those pegs aren't providing any extra margin of rider safety either. However, I might just get a set of those one day as well.

You mentioned "getting impaled." Thank you. I'll remember to use washers to secure the bar ends so they can rotate in the event of an accident. For WIW, I don't plan to use them in traffic or blasting through the twisties. This is an "all by myself out on the slab" experiment.

Any way, thank you for the cautionary words.

I'm still undecided.

Gary

darksider #44

I am confused and concerned. Are you considering extending the bar ends so you can install a "suicide knob" to each end? Or are you simply extending the bar ends so you can rest your hands farther out?
I have driven tractors, fork lifts, and boats with a suicide knob installed. In each case it looked like a great idea and turned out to be something that was in the way and actually gave less control. The knob was a liability when smoothness and precision was required. In EVERY chemical plant and refinery where I have worked, suicide knobs are strictly forbidden on any piece of equipment. I nearly had to replace the hydraulic steering on a brand new 24 foot BlazerBay because it was "binding" and jerky. Turns out none of us could drive smoothly with "The Knob". Yet, we were all drawn to it like moths to a flame.

I know you are a clever guy, I ask if you have thought this through? If you should crash what will the insurance company think of The Knob? I would hate to lose such a valuable forum member to the Asphalt Grinder.

Thanks Redfish.

I used the term "suicide knob" just for fun. My thought was to mount something a little more grabworthy than my GPS. What I mean by that: one day I was tooling along all by myself on the slab and I decided to sit up a bit to shift my weight around and rest my back a little. It feels good to sit up straight once in a while (though I wouldn't want to ride that way all the time. That GoldWing position gets old after awhile). Anyway, I twisted my shoulders so I could hang on with one hand while sitting up a little straighter. As I did, I noted that the GPS was sitting right about where I'd love to have something like a cue ball... mounted. Just for fun, I grabbed the GPS like a big softball, imagining what it might be like if it were a "suicide knob." It seemed to be just about the right location. The bike was steering itself at that speed, and obviously I can't steer by holding on to a GPS... but it got me to thinking... WHAT IF...

Gary

darksider #44

Better watch yourself, Z. I'll be headin' out toward your neck of the woods this June. I might have to stop in and straighten you out.

Anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm still mullin' it over.

Gary

darksider #44

Snicker...

I'm wondering if the type of bar rests like on road race bikes. Prolly better than a mountain bike type set up...as the bar ends are for leverage, and road bike cradles are for position.

Just a thought...

You mean like these?

DSC00424.JPG

Yeah, I think those might give some long distance relief.

(note - This was posted to a thread in the NEPRT section and is therefore not subject to R10 )

Besides, if that isn't a picture of the wholesome girl next door I don't know who is.

That is NOT the girl next door to the house where I live. It is for damned sure not the girl that lives IN the house where I live either.

And to make a feeble attempt to keep this on topic, Do NOT ever attempt to mount anything like that on your handlebars while the bike is moving.
smile.png

That is NOT the girl next door to the house where I live. It is for damned sure not the girl that lives IN the house where I live either.
And to make a feeble attempt to keep this on topic, Do NOT ever attempt to mount anything like that on your handlebars while the bike is moving.
smile.png
It would be rather difficult to keep your mind on the task at hand. The riding task, I mean. Not the . . . . . oh, never mind
rolleyes.gif

Made it up to the hardware store yesterday to pick up some miscellaneous stuff. Got a couple of longer 6mm allen head/button head cap screws and a few stainless fender washers. Concerning the picture above, there's only one young lady in my life. Speaking of which, she needed some of grampa's attention so everything will have to go on hold till Sunday.

CIMG1415.jpg

Gary

darksider #44

As i said before, this will be a temporary installation to see if I like this set up. Ideally, I'm going to get a set of new bar ends made up by my buddy Mark on the company lathe. Gotta thank the water company for buying a lathe so that Mark, whom I met in the late 90's at the tool and die shop we both worked at, could make up some repair parts for them in his spare time at the water plant. He has a little down time while there monitoring the water company equipment, so a little job like this will be no problem for Mark. But for now, here's the temp set up:

Remove the bar ends. The new ones that I'll have Mark make up will have a 7/8 od (the size of the typical bicycle bar end)... slightly smaller than the current Yamaha units.

CIMG1416.jpg

Next, I insert this nylon spacer. It's all I could find that fit... for now.

CIMG1417.jpg

Next, I installed a 7/8 washer and clamped it tight with the bar end's locking screw. This locates the bar end central to the 6mm screw passing through it... since I don't have a proper full size spacer right now.
CIMG1419.jpg

Next, I assemble a couple stainless washers and the new, longer 6mm bolt.

CIMG1420.jpg

All mounted up. Here, they're rotated up out of the way. At this setting, they're about 2-3 inches above my wrists when I'm riding.

CIMG1427.jpg

At the moment, they rotate rather easily. When/if I make up some steel bar ends to hold them in the near future, they should be a little more snug/stable. At them moment with my temporary set up, there will be no problem with them rotating out of the way in the event of anything unexpected. With the current set up, I can't tighten them any more than they are. The do flex around a bit... they feel like they're rubber mounted. But they do stay in place nicely, and the important thing: they work. They do exactly what I'd hoped they do.

Here, they're rotated down out of the way.

CIMG1426.jpg

They work just like they do on my mountain bike. I've used them for 13 years; even during mountain bike "emergencies" I've learned that I can quickly slide my hands down to the handgrips. I don't expect any different on the FJR.

Anyway, they enable me to sit up with my hands about 4 inches further back than normal. Then they simply rotate out of the way with the flick of the wrist. I can rotate them up or down, but I think I like "up" right now. Anyway, I'm going to try them out for a few days and see what I think of them.

Gary

darksider #44

You mean like these?
DSC00424.JPG

(note - This was posted to a thread in the NEPRT section and is therefore not subject to R10 )

Besides, if that isn't a picture of the wholesome girl next door I don't know who is.
That seals it! I'm selling all motorized bike an buyin of of those.

You mean like these?
DSC00424.JPG

That seals it! I'm selling all motorized bike an buyin of of those.
It'd be much healthier for your heart, Barry.

You know, to get the ole' heart pumping and all... great exercise.
rolleyes.gif

(this was just a lame excuse to re-post that picture
tonguesmiley.gif
)

Now that I think of it.. All those bicycles for rent along the roadsides in Vermont, and not ONE offered this option.

I'm thinking a guy could make a killing with something like that.
smile.png