Summer Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

econ2001

Reaction score
I would like to get a summer jacket since I am burning up. I would like something with protection and air flow. Do you have a jacket you like in the summer? your suggestions are appreciated.

I have used the First Gear jacket for the last two years and love it . I have not had an accident so I cannot report on how good the protection is but the air flow is great.

Mac

I have three summer jackets, in the order that I bought them:

1) First Gear Kilamanjaro Air. Good air flow. Armor is questionable -- just foam -- but is removable so could be upgraded. Zipper has been "fussy" at the very bottom since the jacket was almost new, velcro at the collar is shot -- but the jacket does have ~12,000 miles of use.

2) Rev-It Air Force. Quality piece, much better armor, but not as comfortable and doesn't flow quite as much air. Feels warmer than the other two on a hot day, hence doesn't get used much.

3) Olympia Airglide 2. This is my current favorite. Good armor (even better back protection than the Rev-It), lots of airflow, silver/gray color (doesn't heat up as fast when you're stopped in the sun). Also available in other colors. See this page.

I haven't crash-tested any of them, so no comment there.

-Uwe-

I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0. I had Phoenix 3.0 before this. Both did/do the job, and offer the flexibility to be worn in various conditions with the zip in rain liner. I have not crash tested either of them. Elbow & shoulder armor is CE rated, back protector is not, but can be removed/replaced with CE rated one.

-wr

Vanson Ventilator. Very nice jacket. Has excellent ventilation, good protection and with the liner is pretty warm.

I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0. I had Phoenix 3.0 before this. Both did/do the job, and offer the flexibility to be worn in various conditions with the zip in rain liner. I have not crash tested either of them. Elbow & shoulder armor is CE rated, back protector is not, but can be removed/replaced with CE rated one.
-wr
I wear a First Gear Mesh Tex II jacket (third summer). It saved me from getting scuffed up last spring. For pants, its HT Air Overpants 2.0

I like that they zip together, and the liner in the pants works well in the rain. The liner in the jacket is not so hot in the rain, but I have another jacket for that.

My search for "Summer Jacket" didn't turn up much, but if you use the search tool for " warm weather gear" you should find a lot of opinions.

I really like my Mesh-Tex II. It'll do 60F+ & the liner comes out above 70+. I've had it for about 1 1/2 yrs & it's a keeper. 1st M/C specific jacket I've ever had. Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Check out

Ebay Stores

When on trips I always choose my First Gear Kilimanjaro II. It vents, has armor, lets me leave the rain gear back at home and provides better protection than mesh.

When commuting, I use my FG Meshtex jacket. It's a known compromise in protection but I figure it's better than just a shirt. It flows air well and is (imo) better than the Joe Rocket Phoenix I replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, in the summer, prefer to wear a Speedo and flip-flops(if I have shaved my bikini line of course).

For my money, it's a Member's Only Jacket, Guess Jeans, penny loafers, and Gargoyles shades or I stay home! :rolleyes:

Honestly, what the hell is it with these jacket companies not making them in tall sizes? Every one I try on rides up my back and I can't seem to find a tall size anywhere. They all look like a bad halter top on me because I normally wear an XXLT.

Hey Odot, you and Breadman oughta' ride together. Get some pics too. I'd say include burninrice but, that Members Only jacket SCREAMS Thompson Twins :blink:

First Gear Mesh Tex working fine for me also.

:jester:

I have the Joe Rocket Ballistic Mesh jacket, and the airflow is great, and it feels good with no shirt underneath on hot days. Makes you look like a gkadiator with all the armor, but so what?

"HOLD ME NOW......(hold me in yer lovin' arms).........."

"STAY WITH ME.......(won't you stay with me................)................"

"HOLD ME NOW......(hold me in yer lovin' arms)..........""STAY WITH ME.......(won't you stay with me................)................"

You got that on L.P. Don't ya? Along with Boy George too.

Still buds with him? :laughingsmiley:

:jester:

Whatchu talkin' bout willis? he's the one that introduced me to assless chaps. What a way with tassles that dude had.

Don't want to get into an extended discussion of dry heat vs. "Florida tropic knock you off your bike" heat. Check out actionstation.com. It took a couple of tries for me to feel comfortable with my choice -protection vs. relative coolness. I personally went the protection route. It's a compromise like everyhting else. BUT, their products are all first rate. When it's 95+ and humidty is 100% there's nothing that's going to feel comfortable - even a speedo and sandals are too much.