Sunday, April 20th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HEADS UP!!!

I've been checking the Sunday weather forecasts, and closer since RenoJohn PM'd me Monday.

Elk Grove: Occasional showers possible. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 40s.

Kirkwood: A few snow showers possible, windy. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the upper teens.

Markleeville: Windy with times of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the mid 20s.

Reno: Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the upper 40s and lows in the low 30s.

Gardnerville/Minden: Windy with a few clouds. Highs in the mid 50s and lows in the mid 20s.

Bishop: Windy with a mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the low 30s.

Lee Vining: Partly cloudy and windy. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the upper teens.

The last time I looked, we have to leave Sacramento and drive "through Kirkwood" to climb another 1,000' to Carson Pass, drop down the East slope and pass the Hwy 89/Markleeville turnoff, head to Gardnerville and then go South on 395 to Bishop or Lee Vining.

While I hate to be a "party pooper" , possible snow and definitely ice are not real high on my riding pleasure list.......

To meet Don for lunch, we would have to roll out of Sacramento by 0800-0830, which means heading over Carson Pass around 1000 AM. IMO, the temps will not have climbed enough to melt the ice from the roadway. This isn't sounding conducive to a pleasant (which isn't a deal breaker) or safe (which IS a deal breaker) ride. It might be time to regroup and rethink.

If we were to ride Hwy 50, Echo Summit is also at 7300'+, and over I-80, Donner Pass is 7200', and another 50-75 miles longer.

Soda Springs: Windy with a few snow showers. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the upper teens.

Don and his buddy will already be on the East side of the Sierras, so they may get some cross wind, but they won't be at the altitude we would crossing the passes in the Sierras.

Anxiously awaiting your thoughts and opinions.....

If it rained in Sacto every day this past month they said it would. . . and it didn't rain at ALL! I can wait till the weekend is a little closer to decide. Just got my new Cycleport suit, kind of hope it's nice and chilly, myself.

HEADS UP!!!
I've been checking the Sunday weather forecasts, and closer since RenoJohn PM'd me Monday.

Elk Grove: Occasional showers possible. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 40s.

Kirkwood: A few snow showers possible, windy. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the upper teens.

Markleeville: Windy with times of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the mid 20s.

Reno: Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the upper 40s and lows in the low 30s.

Gardnerville/Minden: Windy with a few clouds. Highs in the mid 50s and lows in the mid 20s.

Bishop: Windy with a mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the low 30s.

Lee Vining: Partly cloudy and windy. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the upper teens.

The last time I looked, we have to leave Sacramento and drive "through Kirkwood" to climb another 1,000' to Carson Pass, drop down the East slope and pass the Hwy 89/Markleeville turnoff, head to Gardnerville and then go South on 395 to Bishop or Lee Vining.

While I hate to be a "party pooper" , possible snow and definitely ice are not real high on my riding pleasure list.......

To meet Don for lunch, we would have to roll out of Sacramento by 0800-0830, which means heading over Carson Pass around 1000 AM. IMO, the temps will not have climbed enough to melt the ice from the roadway. This isn't sounding conducive to a pleasant (which isn't a deal breaker) or safe (which IS a deal breaker) ride. It might be time to regroup and rethink.

If we were to ride Hwy 50, Echo Summit is also at 7300'+, and over I-80, Donner Pass is 7200', and another 50-75 miles longer.

Soda Springs: Windy with a few snow showers. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the upper teens.

Don and his buddy will already be on the East side of the Sierras, so they may get some cross wind, but they won't be at the altitude we would crossing the passes in the Sierras.

Anxiously awaiting your thoughts and opinions.....
Could meet up with them on Saturday as they pass thru Redding then ride to Reno with them. 395 can be pretty brutal when there are gusting cross winds.

Just a thought.

Could meet up with them on Saturday as they pass thru Redding then ride to Reno with them. 395 can be pretty brutal when there are gusting cross winds.Just a thought.
Well....I was hoping Don would check in here and we'd get a better idea on their itinerary.

Foremost is getting his suspension work done at GP Suspension and then getting on the road Friday. Form that point, he will know his schedule and make adjustments so that they can spend the night in Reno.

Until THAT threshold is crossed and they are actually on the road Friday afternoon or evening, no plans are definitive.

I'm asuming that iff they get away late on Friday, their plan to ride the coast may be changed and they'll cut through Klamath Falls and head for 395 via that route (like you and I did on the way home from WFO-4)

I know his buddy has to be in Las Vegas Sunday night so their plans revolve around him getting there on time.

Everything else is "up in the air" until Don posts or PMs me. I agree that it might be fun to "intercept them" on Saturday and ride with them. Then we can all head home before the storm hits.

If it rained in Sacto every day this past month they said it would. . . and it didn't rain at ALL! I can wait till the weekend is a little closer to decide. Just got my new Cycleport suit, kind of hope it's nice and chilly, myself.
Well, rain isn't the only issue. Extreme cold, snow showers and ice on the roadway are far above a few rain showers on my list of "I don't think so" ride killers.

With the forecast currently at sub-freezing in the mountains, that means that there will be ice patches in the shadows, and those on the West side of the summit don't normally get sunshine until Noon or so. Even if the daytime temps are in the 40s, the freeze overnight causes ice on the snow-melt runoff and that would be treacherous on the bike. IF the forecast low temps are a reality, the window for getting back over the Sierras on Sunday afternoon would be rather narrow.

We'll wait for Don to post up about Steve's alternative plan for meeting them on Saturday.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

...if you happen to be checking in on this thread:

Looks like I'll be close to home this weekend (something I didn't think as of yesterday)

......If we can offer any help, good-will, fun, drinks, bad jokes, lodging help, and or suggestions on the bestest funnerest routes from Reno to Vegas ....let me know.

cheers, renojohn

It still looks like "high 30's" over Hwy 88. Snow showers possible in the late afternoon.

Farther North is more strongly forecast for showers. It appears the wind warnings have eased. I guess we're waiting until tomorrow to get a better picture.

I'm not sure where your forecast is coming from ( probably Yahoo ?? ), both NOAA and Accuweather don't have such a severe forecast.

Kinda Good News Bad News Story, My riding buddy on the Harley, started hearing some BAD noise's just before we got to Portland.

As luck would have it, we just got on 205, and spied a Harley Dealership.

Say what you want about Hardley's, These Guy's are trying to move Heaven And Earth to get his bike fixed by Saturday morning, A bolt on his alternator came loose and screwed up the threads on the end of the crank. All Warrenty!!!!! I'm impressed.... Went down to meet Dave at GP, everything is ready for tomorrow morning.

If Ronnie get's his bike fixed tomorrow everything is still on schedule, if not..... We will be pushing hard to get to Vegas by Sunday Night, Ronnies Wife is flying in to meet him.

I will call Mike on Saturday to let him Know where we are and plan from there.

Could meet up with them on Saturday as they pass thru Redding then ride to Reno with them. 395 can be pretty brutal when there are gusting cross winds.Just a thought.
SNIP

Well, rain isn't the only issue. Extreme cold, snow showers and ice on the roadway are far above a few rain showers on my list of "I don't think so" ride killers.

With the forecast currently at sub-freezing in the mountains, that means that there will be ice patches in the shadows, and those on the West side of the summit don't normally get sunshine until Noon or so. Even if the daytime temps are in the 40s, the freeze overnight causes ice on the snow-melt runoff and that would be treacherous on the bike. IF the forecast low temps are a reality, the window for getting back over the Sierras on Sunday afternoon would be rather narrow.

We'll wait for Don to post up about Steve's alternative plan for meeting them on Saturday.....
As one that held a "Reno bid run" for 3 years making 5 trips a week and thousands of trips over the summit over the years on the extra board, I can tell you MM2 is spot on with his concerns for safety in the mountains. It's a whole different world 7,000 feet up. CalTrans is nearly inactive this time of year as they feel the ice will melt of its own accord. They don't sand the icy spots and if they do it leaves slippery sand for the rest of the day. I've learned the hard way that one can't take weather conditions in the mountains forgranted. ESPECIALLY on two wheels!

LC

P.S. Not to mention it will be damned cold in the morning!!!!

I'll wait for your update on the 19th to see if this is happening. According to the weather report I read, there will be snow showers Sunday morning at 6 am and partly sunny by 9:00 am. I would suggest Hwy 50 in the morning because it has been so dry. Any light showers will be blown clear by the traffic and the roads should be good. We will be able to find out Saturday evening if this "storm" is even a reality. Then we can make a safer decision. If all goes well, I'll join you, if that's OK. It definitely will be cool!!

I've checked alternate weather sources. Its going to be sunny....but cold.

Here are some examples:

On Hwy 50:

Twin Bridges....36/21

Lake Tahoe......31/17 (I'm guessing 31 after lunch time)

And then we have to go that far North (over Spooner Summit) to Carson City to head South to Bridgeport for lunch)

On Hwy 88:

Kirkwood.......34/19 (I'm guessing 34 after 1200 hrs)

Markleeville....40/12

So, to me, Hwy 88 looks the best because we can cut North of Gardnerville/Minden and take 395 South, and keep this at around 450 miles for the day.

MY concern is still the overnight "freeze" that won't be thawed until the sun hits the pavement. To met for lunch, we'd have to leave Sacramento by 0800....and that means through Kirkwood and crossing Carson Pass around 10:00.

Yes....I'm a wuss! :blink: And I don't have studded tires or chains for the FJR. :( And if I were a "Canuckian", I'd be made of stronger stuff....or perhaps...if I were made of stronger stuff, I'd be a "Canuckian"! And I've had quite enough of "falling down", thenk yew vewwy much!

Just "in case" this doesn't work out.....

....bethinking of a meet place for Sunday morning......and we can discuss alternate plans from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, We are back on the road....

Gladstone Harley managed to find all the parts for Ronnies bike, had a Driver hotshot them in this morning and had the bike repaired by 1;00. Fully covered under Warranty. That was EXCELLENT SERVICE on their part.

GP Suspension got my bike in first thing, everything installed and adjusted by 3;00. Dave and Ben did an excellent job.

Made it down the Oregon Coast to Florence for the night.

I just got off the phone with Don.. They are just at the border of OR & CA, headed for Eureka, planning on taking 299 to Redding and then over to Susanville and South to Reno.

We are NOT going to meet them tomorrow.

They're going to get up and head South, through Death Valley and Pahrumph and into Las Vegas. I don't see how we could get there and meet them and not hold them up or be safe in the likely icy conditions.

He said to give everyone his best, but didn't want anyone to possibly ride in hazardous conditions for a cup of coffee. He'll see us in Golden.

[SIZE=12pt]SO[/SIZE]....now what do you cant to do?

I just got off the phone with Don.. They are just at the border of OR & CA, headed for Eureka, planning on taking 299 to Redding and then over to Susanville and South to Reno.

They're going to get up and head South, through Death Valley and Pahrumph and into Las Vegas. I don't see how we could get there and meet them and not hold them up or be safe in the likely icy conditions.

He said to give everyone his best, but didn't want anyone to possibly ride in hazardous conditions for a cup of coffee. He'll see us in Golden.

If they go all the way to Reno they will be riding til about 11.00 pm

Just answered your PM

For anyone checking this thread later tonight...

We'll be at Starbucks, Hwy 50 and Latrobe Rd. @ 0900. We'll be riding some local roads and have lunch in Plymouth at Mel & Marlenes or at Incahoots BBQ on Main St., 1 block West of Hwy 49.

Starbucks

4311 Towne Center Blvd.

(Behind the Valero)

[SIZE=8pt]Get off on Latrobe Rd. So. Turn right and then turn left into the shopping center. There will be a Chevron on the right and a Valero on the left. The Starbucks is just "above" the Valero--closer to Latrobe.[/SIZE]

The loose plan is to ride Latrobe Rd. to L on Sacramento Rd. through Plymouth. Cross 49 through Fiddletown, R. on Shake Ridge (& Rams Horn Grade) to Volcano. We'll park behind the Post Office and take a break, then ride down Sutter Creek Rd. to Sutter Creek, L. on 49 back to Plymouth.

After lunch?? 49 thru Placerville, R on 193, L on Garden Valley , L on Marshall Rd down the grade to R on 49 toward AUburn.????

I wave at everyone. You are more than welcome to join us or meet us in Plymouth for lunch.
Thanks for the invite.. B)

Depends how the morning goes, don't wait. If I go I will be early. My buddy came by with a new bike (wife doesn't know yet)

waiting to see how that goes and if he can ride tomorrow. Thanks again and have a great ride if I don't see you.

You know I old, home on Saturday night typing.. :blink:

Domenic